1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed [GUIDE] Fix for low FPS on high-end computers

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Sykes, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sykes

Sykes Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

First off, this is a guide I am using from the Steam community, linked here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=201468091 but I've heard many complaints that a few steps are redundant or confusing, so I'm rewriting it in my own words because I tried this myself, and it solved all my problems for both my brother and my friend who had this issue. They both have amazing gaming rigs, and one of them had 5 FPS at all times, the other had less than 15 even at zoom x4.

Hopefully this fixes your problem! Be sure to follow each step carefully, and if you have any issues, just quote me (I sometimes don't check every reply; sorry! I check all quotes though) and I'll get back to you!

1. Close the game and quit Steam.
    2. Go to your Steam folder (example: C:\Program Files (x86)Steam), right click on steam.exe, go to Properties, and select the Compatibility tab. Make sure EVERY SINGLE checkbox is unchecked. This includes the Run as Admin checkbox. Hit OK to save the settings.
    3. Assuming you have Windows 7, click the Start button and type "regedit" without quotes and hit enter to open RegEdit. If you have Windows XP, open the start menu and click "Run..." and type "regedit" and hit enter. If you have Windows 8, I'm sure you can figure something similar out, because I'm not exactly sure.
    4. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers and delete any entry with a path related to Steam. If there are none, that's okay, continue to the next step.
    5. Repeat the last step with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers (which is the exact same path, only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES instead of CURRENT_USERS).
    6. Repeat step 2 to confirm Steam has no compatibility options enabled.
    7. Launch Steam and play Starbound!
    If this helped you, please let me know! If it didn't, please include the specs of your computer below so the developers and I have more information when we try and help you!

NOTE: This is a fix for a specific issue regarding low FPS. There are multiple issues out there causing the same thing, and this only fixes one of them, so if it doesn't help with your computer, I'm very sorry. There are a lot of people digging around and doing work to try and fix all of these issues. They'll get around to you, don't worry.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. Bungles

Bungles Void-Bound Voyager

Worked like a charm, cheers!

3. Sykes

Glad it worked! If you hear of anyone else with this issue, let them know about this fix. It's not something Chucklefish can change, because it's an issue with Steam and Windows, so if they're waiting on a patch to fix it, I don't think that'll happen. So spread the word!

4. nathan00107

nathan00107 Zero Gravity Genie

Sadly, it didn't work. I should be able to run the game smoothly at 60 FPS, if not 30 FPS, right?

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    AMD Athlon II X4 630 (4 Core) ~2.8GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4350 1G
    6GB RAM
    1600 x 1900
    DirectX 11

5. Sykes

That's a bummer. Is your FPS okay on the ship? Or is it around 30 FPS all the time.

6. IvoryOwl

IvoryOwl Pangalactic Porcupine

You forgot to add whether this is for single player or multiplayer, because some people seem to mix the two things.

7. nathan00107

FPS is only about 25 on the ship. My PC should be able to run Starbound though?

8. Sykes

This is for both. The issue is related to compatibility between Steam and Windows effecting the performance of Starbound. Single or multiplayer makes no difference, which is why I didn't mention it. This addresses a very specific low FPS issue, not all of them unfortunately.

Yeah, it definitely should. All we know is that your low FPS isn't caused by this exact problem. As long as you're confident you followed every step correctly, you can safely say you're not victim to this particular issue. On the bright side, that means that the fix for you might be much easier, and potentially included in an upcoming patch.

9. nathan00107

Well, actually. Does the path have to point to steam.exe? Because I have bunch of games in the steam folder that are in their as well.

10. Sykes

Include all of those. Every path that includes "steam" in some matter, get rid of. It won't cause any problems. Steam will self-repair anything if it actually effects one of your other games. Make sure you do it in both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

11. H4RDC0D3D

H4RDC0D3D Tentacle Wrangler

Went from unstable 15-30 FPS to constant 60 FPS.
    At first I thought I may have been lagging because I'm hosting for 6 players on the same machine I am playing.
    Then saw this and thought I should give it a try.

Fix it all perfectly. I'll redirect a few friends to this Thread.
    Thank you.

12. Sykes

I'm glad it worked for you, man! It pains me nothing more than seeing people unable to play because of issues like this. I'm glad you're able to enjoy it now!

13. Seltaire

Seltaire Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Huh. I was skeptical since I usually want to avoid modifying anything in the registry, but this worked for me. Went from 15-20 FPS to 50+. Cheers.

Sykes likes this.
  14. nathan00107

Okay, I have deleted every single entry relating to Steam.exe and the game has improved slightly, I now get 28 - 30 FPS when on the planet and a smooth 60 FPS when on the ship. Unfortunately it drops to about 20 FPS when I get into combat. Thanks anyway.

15. ArcadeScholar

ArcadeScholar Industrial Terraformer

Hello!

I'm having the FPS problems too. I'm running an AMD A8-4500M APU Radeon HD with 4.00 GB of RAM on a HP Pavilion G7 Laptop. Windows 8, 64-Bit OS.

I've tried all the fixes scattered across the web and in these forums and nothing seems to have much of an impact. I've done everything listed. Downloading Fraps I was able to take a closer look. I enjoy playing at x2 zoom, and In my ship I normally get about 30-35 Frames, the start menu runs at 60 fps, character select runs about the same. When I hit the planet surface I drop down to 25-20 frames. When I get to a building with light sources and various NPCs I drop down to about 10-14 fps. I expect a fix for this will come in phase two of the beta, so I'm not too worried about it now. Just getting my specs out there.

Thanks everyone! Have a good day.

Emrenezu likes this.
  16. Sykes

Just to be clear, you've tried the proposed fix above and it didn't work?

17. nathan00107

There is an issue with Steam at the moment where it interacts weirdly with Starbound. The developers have stated in their release stream that this issue is reducing performace by half. They are aware of this issue and are trying to fix it.

Also, optimization begins in stage 2 of the beta. This should hopefully clean up any unnecessary code in the game and improve performance buy a lot on all PC's.

18. nathan00107

Also, @Sykes the game performance has improved with the fix you stated above but it still lags in combat, rainfall and when I get close to any generated structures.

19. nathan00107

@ArcadeScholar Have you tried disabling the Steam overlay? This gave me a small boost in FPS.

20. MrHeartless

MrHeartless Space Hobo

I am currently running windows 8 on my MSI GT60 Laptop with a GTX770m, for reference, I can run the Witcher 2 on High Spec at 60 fps so Starbound should be no problem. Yet, the registry fix did not help at all and turning down the individual graphics settings in my Nvidia control panel did nothing at all. I get 40 fps on the ship and 20-30 while on land in the starting area. That is unacceptable. Are there really no other fixes? After paying money for this game, despite the fact it is in beta, such a common issue as with fps should have been fixed already.

Finntroll and Emrenezu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.