1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Alternative Names for Guns

Discussion in 'Weapons, Armor and Clothes' started by Boxtop, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Boxtop

Boxtop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

One of the things I didn't like about guns (besides the fact that they're difficult to get early game) is that their names left a lot to be desired. This mod intends to fix that by adding more entries to the name generator to give guns more Borderlands-style names. It's a small change, but it adds a bit of variation to them. I'm considering on doing the basic melee weapons next.

To install this mod, copy the modified files in the archive to your \Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\items\guns\randomgenerated folder, and say yes when you're asked if you want to overwrite the original files. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP THE ORIGINAL .CONFIG FILES IN THAT DIRECTORY FIRST BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THIS.

From what I've observed, changing the namegen config files will change the name of the guns any already-generated NPC merchant sells, but not the name of the guns you already have.

Anyway, I struggled to get a good screenshot to show off the name change (I tried generating a bunch of guns with a recipe but I couldn't get it to work), so it might not be the best shot in the world, but it's a small taste:

[​IMG]

A note: some of the generated names may be too long and get cut off in the item description box (which is probably why the original generated names were so short...and boring). If you want to change them or add more names yourself, open up the .config files in Notepad++. Each list of words is a part of the overall name.

Enjoy!

UPDATE: Added a mod page here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/replacement-gun-names.187/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. ThisIsGoobly

ThisIsGoobly Phantasmal Quasar

Haha, nice. I've been editing the files myself as well. I hate names for randomly generated things being similar too often.

3. Svarr Chanston

Svarr Chanston Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks, i dislike the current names of the weapons myself.. I mean really, "Mister Dudehacker"? That's just plain too silly for my tastes.

4. InsanityCow

InsanityCow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I got a couple of guns named Stormrifle and Thunderbarrel from higher leveled planets, so maybe they just get better names as you go up sectors

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  5. Boxtop

Boxtop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Actually, I think the gun names are pretty much generated the same for all levels and rarities, unlike melee weapons. There are only seven config files for the gun name generator (one for each class of gun), while there are multiple namegen config files for crappy, green/blue, tier 2 and legendary melee weapons.