1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Four techs at once! - Ultratech

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by SuperMandrew, Dec 9, 2013.

1. SuperMandrew

SuperMandrew Cosmic Narwhal

[​IMG]

UPDATE: Bubble Boost added!

Hey all,

One thing I am absolutely crazy about in Starbound are techs- I love them. So when I found out I was limited to only one at a time (even though I can switch them in the inventory), I felt somewhat limited.

This mod provides four techs in one: while equipped, you may dash, double jump, bubble boost (after the double jump), and blink to a location by pressing "F". I hope you all enjoy it!

http://www11.zippyshare.com/v/47596206/file.html

Installation method is up to you.

Let me know if you have any questions!

HINT: Try blinking in the middle of an air-dash :)

I doubt this particular mod is something I'll continue working on, but I do like the idea of creating brand new techs for fun, so we'll see if I can release some other things after finals :)

EDIT: For some reason, once you craft the tech you don't need to "use" it like you do with all others. Once it's crafted, you should be able to find it in the tech station on your ship.

EDIT2: Want to learn how to make this kind of stuff? Check out a tutorial for creating your own techs here!
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/how-to-custom-techs.46951/

EDIT3: The second attached file, ultratech-hover, replaces Bubble Boost with the Hover tech. Only download that file if you'd prefer Hover over Bubble Boost.

EDIT4: There might be a player.config included in the download, depending on where you download. DON'T USE IT- it's outdated. Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. LordRedLion9

LordRedLion9 Orbital Explorer

I though t that only being able to use one tech at a time was just a bug!

AnonTheMouse likes this.
  3. SuperMandrew

I wish! I don't think so though, since when you open your inventory you have a selector to pick which one you want on - so if it was a bug, not sure why they'd have the selector in and working correctly. :-/

4. F-ranko

F-ranko Heliosphere

That is majorly badass, man.

SuperMandrew likes this.
  5. SuperMandrew

Thanks much! Took awhile to figure out what I was doing wrong when the game would just crash as I tried to equip the tech, but I finally got it. I love the possibilities of things that can be done with techs! :)

6. There are four slots though.
    And I've heard the devs mention that there are supposed to be four techs you can have at one time.

7. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

I think the whole reason we are restricted to one is because they are OP. I mean, just one is OP enough, why do you need 3 at once now? I can infinitely fly using my gravity bubble thing. :/

Lol, sorry for my rant. It's all for science. Continue your good work, make us more OP.

Svarr Chanston and SuperMandrew like this.
  8. DJOkamical

DJOkamical Space Kumquat

This mod is pretty cool!

Though, you may want to add some serious ingredients in the future (Like crafting all three techs together) instead of just a torch, that way players who want this, but don't want to get it ezmode can enjoy it as well~

SuperMandrew likes this.
  9. SuperMandrew

I recall the devs saying you could only switch between techs at your ship, which is true. And that we can have four at a time, which I supposed right now is partially true. I guess we will see what they decide to do. Personally, I'd like them to divide up the tech slots into categories: two for mobility, one for transformation (eg. mechs) and one for combat - some techs we haven't seen yet.

Not a bad idea! This was designed more for just a proof-of-concept though, to be honest. I'll consider adding this in anyway!

Starsly, Karull and DJOkamical like this.
  10. Karull

Karull Big Damn Hero

You can have 4 EQUIPPED at a time, but can only use one at a time. It's either for balance issues, or compatability issues (teleporting while in a mech that can dash = ????)

Hippolv likes this.
  11. Shamyi

Shamyi Big Damn Hero

o_O this is exactly what I was trying to figure how to do earlier today. great job man :D

any way to replace the double jump part with the bubble boost tho? thought maybe just pasting the boost.lua into ultra.lua but that makes my game crash when I try to equip it :/

12. SuperMandrew

Yea it's a little trickier, you'll need to change the lua, as well as the ultratech.animation needs the bubble boost animation added, as well changing the actions set in ultratech.tech. Also be sure to add any parameters in there as well. If you need help, I can look into replacing the multi-jump with bubble boost

13. Shamyi

Shamyi Big Damn Hero

ah I see, I'll give it another shot tomorrow after some sleep xD
    if you've got the time and don't mind it'd be great tho.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  14. plasmaman2

plasmaman2 Phantasmal Quasar

Oh god the K-Style, Its happening again.

Quixotic likes this.
  15. Logan Marks

Logan Marks Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't know if it happens to anyone else but when I try to consume the tech, nothing happens, but the tech now appears in my available techs on my ship. This hapened when I tried to create my own techs too. Does this happen to anyone else?

It's weird because the techs you find in chests actually get consumed when used.

16. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

I have the same problem, and it persists with starmap upgrades as well. For some reason, even when copying the exact items that are giving you something upon consumption don't work even with the slightest of changes, and I haven't figured out how to change that either.

17. SuperMandrew

Yea, I included this at the bottom of the original post. Even weirder, you don't have to consume it at all (or try) - as soon as it's crafted, it should be in the techs on your ship. Very strange

18. Shamyi

Shamyi Big Damn Hero

Thanks for the offer man but I've given up and I cant ask you to do extra work just cuz I'm picky xD

19. Med

Med Phantasmal Quasar

This is a super exciting mod, haha! Can't wait to use. Thanks!

SuperMandrew likes this.
  20. SuperMandrew

How would you feel about me adding bubble boost in as well as double jump? For instance, you do a double jump, then after that bubble boost works, so there'd be sort of a priority system? I'm not 100% sure I can get it to work, but I think it's definitely possible.

Shamyi likes this.