1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What Exactly Is The USCM?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by VoltageHero, Dec 8, 2013.

1. VoltageHero

VoltageHero Void-Bound Voyager

So, after running around Alpha and Beta, I found one planet in my home galaxy (x:99968638 y: 74183266, Alpha Grumium 35 I d) that, after a decent ways to the right of the spawn, is a rather large USCM Penal Colony area. I went in excepting human soldiers and such to guarding the area, only to be greeted by hostile prisoners.While I got a good amount of pixels and loot from them, I noticed much of the prison was in terrible dis-repair, and signs a lot of places, warning of the prison, including "torture beds" and such.

What exactly, besides a military organization, is the USCM, or do we not know at the current time of beta?

2. Torren

Torren Ketchup Robot

United States colonial marines?

Jonesy, Exxil3d, Heartstrings and 6 others like this.
  3. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

I thought the USCM was apex-human? And the penal colonies went into disrepair after the tentacle monster attack and resources were better spent elsewhere?

4. SilvisMoon

SilvisMoon Big Damn Hero

Possibly, but I found a codex by greenfinger saying that the humans might (keyword might) be good allies

5. Naowut

Naowut Tentacle Wrangler

Theyre Human. Nothing to do with the Apex.

6. SilvisMoon

SilvisMoon Big Damn Hero

Wait, this one is different than one I found.
    these are humans I found one with halo looking apex troops

7. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

Erm United Species Colony Merger?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    cyberspyXD likes this.
  8. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

You find a lot of the apex technology in a USCM base. Meanwhile a lot of human stuff in the penal colonies. This is what leads me to think it's apex-human (both).

9. SilvisMoon

SilvisMoon Big Damn Hero

THese ones seme to be prisoners who took over the prison

10. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

But the structure itself looks more human than apex.

cyberspyXD likes this.
  11. skywerewolf

skywerewolf Astral Cartographer

As far as I can tell, USCM are the human space faction. Each race has a faction that provides a dungeon. Avians have the extreme devout, florans have... themselves, apex have research facilities, and glitch have their castle I belive (haven't seen it)

The USCM are the human faction, marines that were in space before the rest of the humans. According to lore they were about the only ones in space before earth got attacked, which is why there aren't any human towns, but there are USCM dungeons.

12. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

But what about the USCM bases oppose to the penal colonies?

13. SilvisMoon

SilvisMoon Big Damn Hero

I was in one it was either minknog or apex from the looks of the gaurds and maybe the human looking structures were apex forcing humans for labour to build their own prison?

14. Scottish Pig

Scottish Pig Subatomic Cosmonaut

USCM is an acronym for 'United Systems Colonial Marines' and as far as I can tell they are a space human faction that like to hold prisoners.

Zebe likes this.
  15. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

This is why I believe them to be both. Why is that so far fetched? It was a group of apex and humans I believe.

16. skywerewolf

Again, based on lore, it seems that normal humans never settled other planets aside from the planets around Sol. As far as I can tell, either the marines in the prison got killed by the prisoners, or the marines left leaving the prisoners to survive on their own, while the USCM base are marines that were stationed out there before the earth went, and lore suggests they don't trust other species so that would be why the robots automatically attack any aliens, and possibly humans I haven't tested it.

17. Kate_Micucci

Kate_Micucci Aquatic Astronaut

Take a break from watching little girl cartoons and go see Aliens.

18. Shadow86

Shadow86 Pangalactic Porcupine

As it's been said, USCM most likely means United States Colonial Marines, which is a reference from the Aliens universe. The penal complexes themselves might be inspired in the prison/foundry facility featured in Alien 3, on the surface of Fiorina 'Fury' 161.

19. Wuzhles

Wuzhles Cosmic Narwhal

United States Colonial Marines... It's from the movie "Aliens".

Hell, even one of the starter codex for humans is about a small alien eating all of your crew...

20. skywerewolf

Also, it's ntoed in lore that a marine saw an Apex but they were classified under alien. I think what you're thinking of is the fact that prisoners need to be monitored while Apex do that all the freaking time, but USCM seems to be all human.