1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED FTL Kestrel Mod

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by Divinux, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Divinux

Divinux Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi guys!

I made the FTL Kestrel ship for myself and thought it wouldn't be bad to have it on here as well.
    Now includes the stealth ship as well.

Kestrel
    [​IMG]

Stealth
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. Nienna_orr

Nienna_orr Pangalactic Porcupine

Huh Not that bad.

3. Conir

Conir Void-Bound Voyager

haha, awesome :D

4. Dagomani

Dagomani Space Spelunker

That looks awesome! :eek:
    But how did u do that? Ive been looking a bit around, and i cant seem to find the specifics. :)

BlastRed likes this.
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Boy, that was quick. A couple of days in and we already have FTL mods.

6. sjheiss

sjheiss Tentacle Wrangler

You do realize that the FTL ships are viewed top-down, right? :facepalm:

7. Jonesy

Yes, but Starbound is viewed side-on. He still managed to make a very good representation of what the ship looks like despite the differing perspective.

MDoubleM likes this.
  8. Nienna_orr

Nienna_orr Pangalactic Porcupine

In a way we are looking at it from top-down if you think about it in the long run.

9. Divinux

Here's a great guide.

Here's what I found out additionally:

-If you have windows, you need to make their positions transparent in the ship image file.
    -The bright purple pixels represent background blocks. They're still walkable. Everything that isn't red is, mostly.
    -Placing ship items like the captain seat in air will prevent them from spawning at all.
    -Changing the size of engines will prevent them from spawning as well.
    -The files are apparently bound to each character. Changing them after character creation will have no effect. After changing them, there is no need to restart SB, just make a new character.

Everything else is absolutely straightforward and should work on first try. Feel free to ask if anything is unclear.

You mean, the characters were not floating in space at all? I was wrong all along :eek:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  10. sjheiss

My point exactly. So unless gravity in FTL is different from Starbound, it doesn't make sense to have the character walking on the walls of the ship instead of the floor. ;)

Karull likes this.
  11. Dagomani

Dagomani Space Spelunker

Many thanks good sir!
    Time to get to work on my little project! :p cya in a.. week or so xD

12. Karull

Karull Big Damn Hero

yea I was looking at the pic for a minute and couldn't quite figure out what was throwing it off for me, then i realized its a top down view of a ship LOL. I'm too OCD to use this knowing that, but it's pretty cool anyways I guess.

13. Divinux

Yeah I have to agree with that. The back looks mostly like it's top view, and then the front brings it back and it kinda "twists" in my brain. I'm thinking the Engi or Crystal ships might work better since they looked like they're in side view in FTL itself X3

14. sjheiss

Yeah, it's a cool idea, but I can't help but feel the character is walking sideways on the walls in that picture. :p Don't know about any of the other ships, since I didn't play much of FTL.

15. Jonesy

But there's not really any way he can do the ship in the proper orientation, and still be able to show off the Kestrel's full interior using Starbound's perspective.

Let's just say he's using artistic freedom, and leave it at that.

MDoubleM likes this.
  16. ollj

ollj Big Damn Hero

17. Kientero

Kientero Scruffy Nerf-Herder

if he made it in the same angle as of the default ships, he/we wouldn't be able to use the other quarters, just would be a bit longer than the default ship, nothing more. So this is a good alternative. ^_^

18. Divinux

Hey guys,

just bumping to let you know that I added the stealth ship as well, both A and B variants. Please don't hit me for the fact that it's again a top view ship, this was a Reddit request ;p

If a mod could be so kind to rename this thread to "FTL Ships" or something, I would repay you with more ships, for what it's worth. Unless of course I can do that myself, I'm not familiar with these fusion forums.

19. ollj

ollj Big Damn Hero

Divinux likes this.
  20. Serod

Serod Space Spelunker

Will this work with the latest update? I love FTL and you're krestel ship looks awesome