1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED PREMADE MOD AND TUTORIAL 0ld/Homemade Ships as Main Ship/Modify Your Ship

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by BobdaBiscuit, Dec 5, 2013.

1. BobdaBiscuit

BobdaBiscuit Big Damn Hero

This is a mod for Starbound Beta by me (BobdaBiscuit) that replaces the current ship that you use with a fully functional larger one.
    It is mostly proof that once you know what you're doing you can make your own ships in Starbound.
    Do not expect multiplayer to go well with this mod, if you are going to ignore this anyway, try having the server and the clients having this mod installed and report back what happens.

Download - http://www.mediafire.com/download/a7bq2o9hx7hgxa8/BobdaBiscuit Large Ship Mod.7z

Download contents:
    dropship.structure - config file for the ship
    largeship.png - art of the ship
    largeshipblocks.png - layout of the ship
    READ ME.txt - read that

Install instructions:
    0. Backup.
    1. Download file.
    2. Extract into /***/steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/ships/<race you want to be> eg /***/steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/ships/human/
    3. Make a new character of that race and hope for the best.
    4. Tell me if it works.

lrgship.png lrgship2d.png
    http://imgur.com/a/puI6D

Really bad tutorial on how to add your own ship.

0. Backup.
    1. Enter the directory "/***/steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/ships/<race you want to be>/" eg /***/steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/ships/human/
    2. Draw your ship. eg:
    tutorialart.png
    http://imgur.com/a/Z8g00
    3. Draw your "blockmap" (collision detection etc) and place all needed objects. eg:
    Tutorialblocks.png
    And here's a really bad 10 hours in MS Paint guide to what's what:
    blocks.png
    4. Edit "dropship.structure" at:
    line 8 - add your ship art here. Eg: "image" : "tutorialart.png",
    line 166 - add your block map here. Eg: "blockImage" : "tutorialblocks.png"

(Large ships/stations will need more than 1 image, if you need the format just ask.)

5. Go into starbound and make a new character of the race that the ship belongs to, most likely the blockmap and the art are misaligned, try to see it in a grid.

6. Go back to dropship.structure at line 7, edit the two numbers in this format:
    "position" : [<x>, <y>]
    Eg, to make the "art" shift left 7 "steps" and up 15:
    "position" : [-7, 13]

7. Once it's aligned properly that should be you done.

Any problems report them here please.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. zer0t3ch

zer0t3ch Void-Bound Voyager

I'd be happy to help if you want it. Add me on Skype.

Username: zer0t3ch

3. Jamber

Jamber Space Spelunker

Looks great!
    Would also be glad to help out!

Update:
    I've played around with this a bit and figured out how to make it work on the server, works just fine. Currently attempting to design my own. :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  4. BobdaBiscuit

Nice, I would make my own ship but I'm sick of it now after working at it for a few hours to get these working, not to mention I'm horrible at art.

5. GhostSignals

GhostSignals Void-Bound Voyager

How'd you get it to work in the server? If you don't mind explaining, that is.

6. BobdaBiscuit

If the host and the clients both have it installed it should work.
    The space station and large ship work for humans in vannila servers due to the files allready being there.

7. ahappydude

ahappydude Scruffy Nerf-Herder

IM guessing if you are hosting it, the client get the "new" stuff? Or you need to give it to them beforehand

8. lavaknight

lavaknight Void-Bound Voyager

dude pictures are dead could you re-upload please?

9. BobdaBiscuit

Will do it tommorow.

10. Jamber

Jamber Space Spelunker

All you have to do it replace the dropship.structure with the dropship2.structure - just put the first one on your desktop and rename the second one as the first one
    Run the game as a new human and it should work. Worked just fine, my friends were able to be on my ship with no problem.

I am still working on a custom ship. I almost have it done. It works in the game when I run it, just a few bugs with the image - but making progress :)

11. BobdaBiscuit

If you need help making the ship just ask.

12. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Phantasmal Quasar

All the images in the thread are broken, only the clickable links work.

This is pretty awesome though, until upgradable ships are re-implemented, this will make a lot of loot hoarders happy :p

13. BobdaBiscuit

The links are backups.
    NO idea why SBF hates my images.

14. Jamber

Jamber Space Spelunker

I been working on a custom ship for the since last night and I finally worked one up. Works fine, just make a new human.
    There is one glitch in it though - for some reason I just cannot get the 2 new engines in the back to work. I will work into it later but I wanted to show off what I made and also the fact that you CAN make custom ships.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/t3wnpvrykk3wbw7/Ship by Jamber.zip

Note: To make this work in multiplayer all you have to do is drop the texture files into the folder told in the readme, you do NOT need to have to have the structure file if you do not want the ship. You do if you do want it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  15. BobdaBiscuit

Do you want me to have a look into it? I had the same problem and solved it.

16. WickedWitch

WickedWitch Big Damn Hero

This is the code that controls

To add engines to your ship you need to find what colour is assotiated with it in the dropship.structure file.

From a quick glance from the file, the colour in RGBA value is 174, 137, 81, 255

paint 1 pixel where you want the engine, and that should work.

17. BobdaBiscuit

It's a diffrent problem from that, the human engine is seperate from the others as it's 2 engines in 1 object, I've allready fixxed it and am about to upload.

18. Jamber

Jamber Space Spelunker

That would be nice, I can't get it to work for some odd reason.
    I tried this, if you look at the file it doesn't work for the 2 new engines but works for the back. I noticed that if I make it the same size as the two old back engines it works - only there are 2 flares while I only would like one. I attempted to grab the engine from the dropshipblocks2.png image and put it onto my custom, still doesn't work.

19. BobdaBiscuit

It's a diffrent problem from that, the human engine is seperate from the others as it's 2 engines in 1 object, I've allready fixxed it and am about to upload.

20. BobdaBiscuit