Port Forwarding Answers

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Coffeeman, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am going to start this thread to answer a bunch of questions about port forwarding. Its going to be in Q&A format.
    MODS: If this thread is in the wrong place feel free to move it

Port forwarding is the act of allowing ports through a firewall. A port is an ID used to allow more than one connection to a machine at a time. For example, port 80 is used to connect computers on the internet, using Internet Protocol. These ports are not left open, because security problems with operating systems exist that make leaving them open dangerous.

A firewall is a program running on your computer that keeps ports closed. It allows you to set up what ports are open and closed (read: allowed/ not allowed.) This is the first barrier to hosting a server, as other people cannot access ports on your computer if the firewall is blocking them.

A Internet Protocol address/IP Address/ IP is an identifying number. Each computer has an unique IP address. For example your laptop might have the IP 192.168.1.5 . This is what is called a local IP. This is the IP given to your computer by your router, the machine that creates your local network. However, each router has a global IP. This is the IP that other people on the internet can use to connect to your router (other people cannot connect using your local IP.) When you tell your friend what IP to connect to, you are telling them the global IP. The router then "forwards" the connection to your computer. For more please read the next section.

Port forwarding is an option on your router. It allows for whenever someone connects to your routers global IP, the router forwards the connection to a local IP. By default your router denies all connections. When you connect to google, the router at google forwards the connection to the individual server computer you are connected to. This is necessary to host a server, because you need to tell your router to allow connections from the global IP to your local IP.

Yes. For someone to connect to you over the internet, you will need to configure your router to redirect traffic to the IP of your server (the computer running the server.) Without port forwarding, it is possible to connect over LAN (your local internet) because all computers on the routers network can see each other (assuming you have opened the firewall port.)

By using a service like Hamachi. Hamachi allows you to host a server using technology that means that you do not have to forward ports. Advantages are obvious, and the disadvantages are much slower speeds.

It depends on your router. You will also need to configure your firewall. You can read instructions here, here, or on google. Some games (possibly including Starbound) can automatically try to port forward your computer, but do not always work. I can help you (possibly, no guarantees) if you PM me.

Port:21025
    Protocol: TCP

You need to be careful with port forwarding, as leaving unused ports open can be (but rarely is) dangerous. Also:

Hope this clears up some questions. If you have questions, send me a PM, or respond here.

1. Added http://portforward.com/ on Qndrez's suggestion.
    2. Added Sgt. Sprockets warning, warning section
    3. Changelog spacing
    4. Added default port, thanks twinsonian
    5.Added more starbound-specific info
    6.Editor being screwy. Messing around to fix duplicate spoiler tags.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. Qndrez

Qndrez Pangalactic Porcupine

Portforward.com is a good resource to help set up port forwarding, too.

3. Yes it's just like Terraria on this aspect. AH WELL not like Terraria, Terraria already auto-portfoward on 1.2.

4. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

I honestly prefer doing it manually. (I don't trust uPNP, it's a personal thing)
    I just like knowing what's going on when I port forward, and not have something else manage that for me.

Also, sometimes opening the same port multiple times (for multiple computers, same game) will sometimes cause all those ports to not work at all (Unconfirmed, I haven't tried to recreate the issue yet).

Other than that, hopefully this tutorial will help out the newbies, so good work! :up:

5. backeby

backeby Big Damn Hero

A great guide :) Maybe a bit too generic, but I guess it's perfect for the layman. :)

6. Solomon Darling

Solomon Darling Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Great stuff for newbies, great iniciative, mate.

I'll keep this topic in check as much as possible to try and help as well :)

So I'm guessing Starbound won't auto-port forward? Aww.

7. twinsonian

twinsonian Void-Bound Voyager

This is the first thing that pops up on google when searching for starbound server default port (for port forwarding) I did not see in the OP anything about the actual port.

Those searching the default port is:

8. taikowolf

taikowolf Void-Bound Voyager

Problem is that my router is an SB5012, meaning it apparently can't portforward, and the aforementioned guides can't help. I suppose Hamachi would be what I use? I've tried Evolve; didn't work.

9. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Subatomic Cosmonaut

@taikowolf can you give me more details? What OSs are you guys using? Hamachi version? Can you try connecting to your own group from another computer of yours?

10. Stuperduck77

Stuperduck77 Master Chief

What is the default password?

11. jonny5959

jonny5959 Aquatic Astronaut

i can join my hamachi server and my friend is in my group and everything but he can't join

12. paulohebr

paulohebr Orbital Explorer

Does it use TCP or UDP?

13. jonny5959

jonny5959 Aquatic Astronaut

don't know all i know is i use hamachi and my friend is in my network

14. paulohebr

paulohebr Orbital Explorer

Just FYI
    Did some research and it uses TCP for the port type.

15. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

does the default port go in both the start and end ports?

16. Ian

Ian Subatomic Cosmonaut

I know nothing about any of the computer stuff, like I dont know what a TCP vs an VNP means. I was able to play terraria through hamachi but I'm not sure how, it was a pretty painful process for all of us to figure out... I don't have a router though sooo....

17. liverdog

liverdog Void-Bound Voyager

Where is the server config and what not cant seem to find it. Could someone give me the path to it please, thanks.

18. HappyWulf

HappyWulf Orbital Explorer

I want to change the port to something OTHER than 21025.... Is this possible?

May Lucas likes this.
  19. May Lucas

May Lucas Void-Bound Voyager

Same here, been searching for awhile now, can't find the place to change it :( There's nothing about it in server.config or universe_server.config

20. beers

beers Master Chief

check out default_configuration.cfg in the assets folder

May Lucas likes this.