How do you setup and connect to a Starbound server?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Jazoo1, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Jazoo1

Jazoo1 Aquatic Astronaut

I see it on the launcher and I click on it. But how do I connect. I tried my Hamachi IP. But that didn't work and I don't know where to obtain the server password.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  2. Tachinaori

Tachinaori Void-Bound Voyager

Same... there are 0 instructions online how to set up servers... i hit the button it does alot of stuff then shuts down :(

3. Erick648

Erick648 Pangalactic Porcupine

Same. A command line box comes up, a bunch of lines process, then it stops. Hitting "Enter" doesn't make it continue, nor is there any indication that the server's been completed (so far, I've waited around ten minutes and counting without it processing a single line).

Which line it stops on changes each time.

4. Equilibriate

Equilibriate Orbital Explorer

I managed to get it going ok by letting it run the script and then connecting to my own IP, I had one person on an external IP playing and one on my LAN. The only thing I did also was to forward the port on my router.

Only thing now is I have no clue if the server automatically saves the worlds or do I have to do it manually.

5. grategy

grategy Yeah, You!

What port did you forward on your router? I'm new to setting up servers.

6. Equilibriate

It's always different as games won't use the same ones, 21025 by default for SB.

7. Anthony Locken

Anthony Locken Void-Bound Voyager

I port forwarded but I am not getting anywhere on connecting with my routers ip, I am able to connect to my Local IP but I need the server for my friends, not me.

8. Equilibriate

are you using a firewall? otherwise I'm not sure sorry.

9. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

we really need a solid set of instructions...

10. skylarhawk

skylarhawk Aquatic Astronaut

11. Andr0o

Andr0o Subatomic Cosmonaut

As far as I can tell, as soon as the cmd reads "shutting down world alpha..." then the server is ready to run, since the server doesn't run while there's nobody using it.

12. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

13. arden03

arden03 Big Damn Hero

14. goofolph

goofolph Scruffy Nerf-Herder

15. TZer0

TZer0 Master Chief

This is not great. If I am to do this, I will be logged out of Steam on my local machine while I install or update the game - completely unable to do anything with Steam while waiting. Could we please get a non-steam server?

16. love doctor

love doctor Cosmic Narwhal

you can do it without steam i only used steam to download and play the game on my main pc it was not used for server config

17. Andr0o

Andr0o Subatomic Cosmonaut

You can run the server from Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\starbound_server.exe

18. TZer0

TZer0 Master Chief

This implies that I run the server on the machine I play on. I don't.

Whenever an update is pushed I must either get on the server and use SteamCMD and since there's no separate server-download, this will require my login as I must download the entire game. When I log in on the server, I get logged out of Steam on my local machine and I can't use it until the download completes.

The alternative is that I download the update to my local machine, zip down some of the assets and linux64-folder contents and push them to my server. This is slow since I don't have the greatest upload-speed.

Therefore, it would be nice if I could simply get an URL which contains assets (minus sfx and music) and linux64/32 without the Starbound-executable so that I can't easily update the server.

19. skylarhawk

skylarhawk Aquatic Astronaut

Let's be honest. If you're updating the server, chances are, you aren't playing Starbound at that moment anyway. For the 10 to 15 minutes (max, much less if you're on an upstream server) you need to be logged in on SteamCmd to pull the updates, you can probably get by not playing games on steam. The minute SteamCmd finishes updating, you can hop right back on Steam on your computer and fire up any game you like.

Yes, an alternative mirror would be nice later on, but while the game is in beta I think the developers intend to use steam to manage game deployment.

20. Titt98

Titt98 Void-Bound Voyager

If the message tells you that the server password is wrong, you have to go into the "Username:" box and hit [Spacebar] once... It's a bug of the game but OK, it's an Alpha... :)