1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

LAN server???

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by IonIon, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IonIon

IonIon Star Wrangler

Okay, I have been looking up how to start a LAN server for this game since it was released and I can't find ANYTHING on it other than confirmation that it can be done. PLEASE somebody help me out, how do you start a LAN server for Starbound?

2. kavex

kavex Space Penguin Leader

Guessing you have windows

when you start up starbound click on the "Launch Starbound Server" and anyone wanting to join needs to enter the local ip. You might need to open port 21025

3. IonIon

IonIon Star Wrangler

I'll let you know if it works out for me, thanks!

4. GordonPayne30

GordonPayne30 Yeah, You!

you shouldn't need to port forward to play a LAN server it wouldn't make sense .. and in any case when i press that button it brings up a cmd window that starts launching the server but in the end it just says shutdown world "insert the crazy coordinate numbers here" and then even if i try to join it doesn't work soo in my opinion there are no ACTUAL "LAN" servers

5. nectarprime

nectarprime Sandwich Man

You first need to identify the LOCAL IP of the server itself. Make this static. There are tools to make an IP static on the web if you don't know how to yourself.

Type this local IP address in when logging in. This is not the same IP address that comes up when you use "what'smyIP", that is your EXTERNAL IP address that people outside your network use to connect, after your port has been forwarded.

I've been running my server since beta launched and have no problems connecting locally, even after yesterdays hotfix.

6. Churpy

Churpy Void-Bound Voyager

If you are struggling to find your local IP address for others on your network to connect, do the following: (Instructions are for Windows)

1. Hold your Windows key, and press R.
    2. Type 'cmd' in the box.
    3. In the window that comes up, type 'ipconfig'
    4. Look through this list of your network adapters and try and recognize your internet connection. It varies from system to system.
    5. Look at the IPv4 Address, it will begin '192.168.' on MOST networks.

If that's too difficult:

1. Control Panel
    2. Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center
    3. Change adapter settings (on the left side)
    4. Right click your connection and click Status
    5. Click 'Details...'
    6. IPv4 Address will contain your LAN IP.

EDIT: I should add that if you are using Hamachi or Tunngle, you should share the IP of those services, not your local IP address.

EDIT 2: I should ALSO add that yes it is true that you might not need to port forward, but if you have a firewall running on your actual machine, you may need to disable this, or allow an exception for port 21025.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  7. caldw3ll

caldw3ll Void-Bound Voyager

8. frankachino

frankachino Aquatic Astronaut

Thank you for this! Perfect :)

9. DuskSatr

DuskSatr Space Hobo

What is the server password and account I have the address.?

10. Kenmendor512

Kenmendor512 Void-Bound Voyager

So do you just click the starbound server, let the command thing do its stuff, and then what?

11. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

That's it. The server is running. Connect to it with your computers IP address. Lan servers require zero configuration.

12. Kenmendor512

Something didn't work though. It said "Join Failed! Error connecting to '(My Local IP):21025'"

13. lazarus78

Are you sure its your local IP? Is ir t 192.168.x.x?

14. Kenmendor512

Yeah, I'm sure. It's the IP I use for other games like Terraria. Man, I hope LAN gets simplified later on.

15. lazarus78

Lan is simple. You just did something wrong. You literally just run is and its good to go.

16. Kenmendor512

Yeah, Maybe it's my computer. I'm gonna try a few things, and see if it works.

17. lazarus78

Can you connect with 127.0.0.1?

18. Randor95

Randor95 Intergalactic Tourist

Do I need to port foward for this is so that's fking
    lame

19. lazarus78

For LAN based servers, no.

Port forwarding is basic methedology for networking in these instances. It isn't "lame", it is standard practice. Pord forwarding of some kind is half the reason you are even able to post your comment in the first place.

Dunto likes this.
  20. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Please don't necro threads.

As far as your question goes, you should actually make an attempt to use the Search feature on the forums as this has already been answered by Chucklefish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.