Notice Addressing Beta Questions

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jolijar

jolijar Master Chief

My best friend uses his Tv as a computer screen so I ask this.
    Will there be a way to scale the UI. have you tried playing on a tv?

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. iijeSterHD

iijeSterHD Space Spelunker

3. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

About 1 "main" ore per tier, I imagine, but there could be alternatives or special ores, just like in Terraria. Terraria has 9 tiers (10 if you could Tier 0).

Don't underestimate the amount of content in Terraria. Especially after patch 1.2, it's pretty damn huge. Starbound has the potential to exceed it, but it'll take a long time, likely a few major patches/expansions after the initial release.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    Axe Garian likes this.
  4. HedgeFlanders

HedgeFlanders Big Damn Hero

Yeah! So pumped!
    [​IMG]

Sn0wbl7nd likes this.
  5. Davosalm

Davosalm Aquatic Astronaut

There'll be any topic or e-mail that we can send some feedback? If we find bugs, or any kind of problem..

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. aytimus

aytimus Master Chief

"potential" ? I think just in beta starbound already exceed it,even with 1.2 .

Axe Garian likes this.
  7. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

Not really. Just because you have multiple planets doesn't mean there's stuff to do on all these planets, in a way different from each other.

Starbound team early on had to focus on core mechanics such as the ability to travel between planets, do quests, build mechs, etc. Once the groundwork is laid, the "normal" gameplay can actually be developed. Beta is the time where the major game mechanics are in place, and provide the groundwork to build up awesome content on. All this content (dungeons, quests, vehicles, spaceships, etc) can be built up, but it'll take time to do, and even more time to polish and balance.

Colton and Axe Garian like this.
  8. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

There are already dozens of pages here, i wonder if anyone will address the torrent of questions, like, my question about gamepad support on the beta.

That said, i got another question. Starbound Soundtrack is great and all, but after i get to a certain planet that looks advanced enough, i want to turn off the music and listen to "Cities of the Future", because i'll take what i can and bring back home :rofl:

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. Milavelo

Milavelo Big Damn Hero

I think so...

Axe Garian likes this.
  10. jhonny1451

jhonny1451 Void-Bound Voyager

for me its coming out the 3rd of november but around 11:pm in the night

11. Cuchilain

Cuchilain Phantasmal Quasar

Your a time traveler?

12. hunter11813

hunter11813 Void-Bound Voyager

this is EPIC!!!!! :notworthy:

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. Chira

Chira Subatomic Cosmonaut

why via email?
    the site had already trouble to send me a damn activation mail for my forum account to my email account x_x
    i got starbound via humble bundle ........ i hope the beta key will be available on my humble bundle account and forces me not into trouble with the support because their email provider dosnt likes my email account >_<

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. PlayMp1

PlayMp1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Guys, Valve, and therefore Steam, are located in the Pacific time zone, GMT-8. Since they're the distributors for the first stage of the beta, it'll be based on what they do... and they always update at around 10am Pacific.

Convenient, since I live about 60 miles from them :p

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

It will use as much memory as you have. There are very few games and programs that don't....

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. lizard455

lizard455 Pangalactic Porcupine

Actually Terraria has two "Starbound tiers".

Tiers in starbound are each separated by a decisive boss battle that comes at the end of the tier and advances you to the next tier upon defeating the boss. As you advance through tiers, more aspects of gameplay become avaliable. For example, upon completing tier one you are introduced to interplanetary travel (source: stream). We still don't quite know what features the other tiers introduce.

A good Terarria example would be defeating the Wall of Flesh and entering hardmode. The WoF is the boss for tier 1, and hardmode is tier 2. In hardmode many more items, enemies, recipes, and bosses are made available to you which required you to first enter hardmode.

I guess the main point is there's a big difference between equipment tiers, which both games have, and gameplay tiers, which Starbound puts a major focus on. I believe this is what the person was originally asking about.

So to answer your question, It's probably very noticible, like entering hardmode. Planets, however, do have "levels" (I'm relatively sure I read that in an update, but I could be wrong) , so the creatures you face should scale up with you smoothly.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    Axe Garian likes this.
  17. clevernamegoeshere

clevernamegoeshere Subatomic Cosmonaut

Terraria's tiers are:
    normal ores
    meteorite
    necro / jungle / hellstone
    hardmode ores
    chlorophyte / spectre / tiki / turtle

While not exactly defined, they're certainly clearly delineated. And, barring hacks and clever workarounds, certain areas are gear-locked until you reach an appropriate tier for most players.

The tiers in Starbound will be much more clearly defined, with each weapon/armor/tech given a level that is commensurate with the level planet that it is taken from (levels 1-100). Each major tier jump will be made on the 10s and will be gated by a boss, plus endgame x-tier stuff. The initial beta will include tiers 1-3, so level planets and gear 1-30.

Colton and Axe Garian like this.
  18. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

no

You can join any universe you want

no

There aren't any mod tools planned.

You will still be able to download the DRM free version, when they release it.

Axe Garian and Enigmare like this.
  19. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

Damn auto correct, ill go in and edit them xD Dident even notice it lol.

Thanks

Leak and Axe Garian like this.
  20. Flameofice

Flameofice Pangalactic Porcupine

Since planet terrain is determined by reading the existing terrain gen code, how will changes to terrain generation be handled?

Axe Garian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.