1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Uh oh! Beware if you want to create a server at Beta

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bacon, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Heya people.

So just around IRC we got news that well, servers at this beta start is more between friends, as the Roadmap shows and it looks updated on this aspect, just confirmed:
    - There is no cheat protection implemented.
    - Banning is yet to be added.
    - Admin tools to be mostly missing.

So if you plan to setup a server for a larger group of people or a public one, the start of this Beta is certainly not the best option, as things seems to be easy exploitable and cheat-able at start. So as Bart said, you may look to get into a server with your friends so you don't need to handle situations you don't have the tools for.

As confirmed on IRC:
    bartwe: currently
    bartwe: there is no cheat protection, none
    bartwe: server play is for now only for between friends

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    Squiddy, nababoo, Glitch1500 and 32 others like this.
  2. Soggytoast

Soggytoast Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for this info Bacon.
    Very much appreciated.

Bacon likes this.
  3. Good catch Bacon.

Bacon likes this.
  4. DerginMaster

DerginMaster Space Penguin Leader

In know this may be asking a lot but is there any form of white list? And with the mass modding abilities of the game, would a whitelist be possible to mod in if one is not implimented?

5. reversePsychologist

reversePsychologist Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Indeed, this was said by bartwe two streams ago as well.

Bacon likes this.
  6. They will look to add features to the server with time, this is just the start, so we must get used to this issues and get the best from it. That's why they said about "Beta Stages", because some want a more complete and stable experience.

DotBeta, Landlaw and DerginMaster like this.
  7. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

Man that hurts. Ahhh well, guess we'll see how it goes. I'm surprised there's not even a ban feature though, or a black/white list implemented. Hopefully they get added within time I'd like to host a public server, not gonna happen without some form of admin tools though.

Bacon likes this.
  8. Optix

Optix Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not only are you helpful, but you're also my favorite breakfast food.

*licks his lips*

Where's my fork?

9. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

Characters are also saved on the client, not on the server. So yeah, don't play on servers if you want to make sure nobody is cheating. :D

Bacon likes this.
  10. Klemar

Klemar Subatomic Cosmonaut

Any idea concerning a possible white list ? :catface:
    Being a mod of the french community forum/website, I wonder if we'll be able to have our own server. The french community is really eager to play together. :monkey:

sankto and Bacon like this.
  11. Well except for when the server admin tools and options like save character to server side are available. =]

12. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

If the server software lets you see the IP of anyone that joins than banning them should be as easy as blocking them on a firewall/router.

Although just having it built into the server would be much better.

Bacon likes this.
  13. PurpleSquirel43

PurpleSquirel43 Pangalactic Porcupine

I was just going to play on a private server anyway.

14. That server-side character thing, being client-side, i'm totally confuse if they will use the frustrating Terraria (tshock) that is server-inventory, that forces us the delete stuff, kicks, etc... The server owners must have the option to force players create a new char to play on them (so we avoid inventory editors), so that's why i'm unsure how client-side chars achieve that.

DotBeta likes this.
  15. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Thanks for the scoop, just for that I will no longer eat bacon... for a day.

natelovesyou and Bacon like this.
  16. Katorone

I'm hoping this will be a feature that gets added when the server-side is getting some programmer love. Ideally it would work like they announced, with the server admin being able to configure where the characters are saved, but with an option for players to download/import their character from the server to a single player game.

Bacon likes this.
  17. gf1024

gf1024 Astral Cartographer

What about passwords?

18. Katorone

You won't need to register an account with chicklefish, so you won't need to log in either. That means no passwords.

19. bludud101

bludud101 Phantasmal Quasar

This is where the modding system might come in handy. :p

20. Katorone

Well... there's no real need for passwords yet, though?
    Your characters are saved on your pc, not the server. So there isn't anything to protect with those passwords anyway.