1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important BETA RELEASE DISCUSSION - DECEMBER 4TH (*ALL* beta discussion goes here. Other threads deleted)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misho

misho Big Damn Hero

this is one time i cannot agree with you DRM is a disaster waiting to happen. just look at simcity, spore, the witcher 2 retail box disaster and ofc diablo 3 witch had a always online DRM for the cash auction house, whitch in the end they abandoned as it was unpopular.

PlayMp1, Pingeh, Xander and 1 other person like this.
  2. OzzytheFist

OzzytheFist Big Damn Hero

Frontiers aren't pretty.

Diablo 3 is an amazing game, and I don't get DRM-rabies like some people seem to. It's a little disheartening to know I can't play when my net goes out, but that's not solely because of DRM contrary to popular belief.

BrakSampson likes this.
  3. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

What drm does that is bad, is adds a second program or more coding that can cause less comparability and more unreliability. Even Steam Ozzy. A simple google can show dozens of people who are having problems with it due to technical issues.

It just adds another gate or step that can stop legitimate buyers from using a product, while not necessarily keeping out those intended since the pirates tend to just brute force it. Even Diablo3 will someday be 100% free if someone wants it bad enough. Yet the online restriction caused a portion of people who can't have a steady connection to miss out.

Also no program is 100% compatible, but secondary drm like steam/alwaysonline make it worse. You might could run the game but for whatever reason might not be able to meet the additional requirements.

It makes it a punishment for a portion of legitimate consumers while in no way working against those it is intended to, even when working correctly. Just because you aren't in a portion that doesn't mind if those people can't play or are effected, doesn't stop making it bad to hinder them. All just to theoretically stop others. Ends do not justify means, and all that.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    noclafyrG, LeifGram and Pingeh like this.
  4. FilipinoBoiii

FilipinoBoiii Orbital Explorer

I'm pretty confident that the beta will be coming out this month (my estimate is November 21st). It's understandable that you would want a refund if they don't deliver though.

Personally I think the best option would be to release both on steam and as a direct-download, and just update the direct-download less frequently. That way people who can't use Steam still have the opportunity to at least experience the game, even if they won't always have an up-to-date version for the time being.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  5. Musicalbears

Musicalbears Big Damn Hero

It's fine to be unhappy that the game isn't out yet. My room mates an I can't go a week without asking each other "Is starbound out yet?" However we also understand that the game will release, and when it does it'll be worth the price of admission.

I just don't understand the mentality where it's justifiable to complain about the timetable of release. I mean, we're still ahead of the deadline right? Once we're passed that or get a delay I'd understand a bit more. (Though I still personally wouldn't have an issue with this.)

6. Therevan789

Therevan789 Big Damn Hero

As far as i know, you can put steam on offline mode and play your games, so you download starbound from steam, and if you want, you put steam in offline mode.

Br4xxx likes this.
  7. misho

misho Big Damn Hero

full release was meant to be by the end of the year. but ill be happy to have the beta be for the end of the year.

8. Musicalbears

Musicalbears Big Damn Hero

Ah. I didn't know what. I assumed the beta was supposed the be the end of the year.

I still stand by what I said in that I think it's sort of silly to whine and complain, but I can understand it a bit more anyway.

9. kesvalk

kesvalk Cosmic Narwhal

it will probably be after the enemy within hype get's a little down.

so maybe Christmas.

10. Therevan789

Therevan789 Big Damn Hero

I don´t know why, but i doubt it. I think that the audiences are different for EW and SB.

11. PlayMp1

PlayMp1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Looking at the comment thread for Molly's "Regarding Steam and DRM-Free," most people are voting for what she said was option 3: Steam Early Access from the get-go when we get beta phase one, then DRM free updates once they stop rolling in so quickly (stage 2 onward), so that both the Steam and DRM-free versions are as close to identical as possible.

Why November 21st, though? Seems like an odd date - game releases are rarely on Thursdays, they're usually on Tuesdays, sometimes Fridays. While this isn't a proper game release, it's only a beta release, it's still a big enough deal that it would seem like it would get a Tuesday release. I don't think it's coming out tomorrow, because there's currently no warning whatsoever. This leaves November 19th and November 26th assuming a November release (which is pretty reasonable, I'll concede). Now, Tiy has said in the past, IIRC, that we'd probably get between three days and a week's notice that the beta is coming out. This probably means it won't be this week, especially since Friday is the PS4 release (as well as X Rebirth for us PC gamers). The 19th is still more than a week away, but I somehow doubt it being that soon (seems too hopeful). I also severely doubt it would be on the 22nd - that's the same day the Xbone comes out, and news outlets will step all over Starbound's beta release to trumpet the Xbone release to everyone.

This leaves the 26th, I think. If we're really good and clean our rooms, and maybe have a bit of luck, we'll get it on the 19th. Failing that, they'll just screw with us and release it on a Monday.

PolarStar and samufel like this.
  12. Br4xxx

Br4xxx Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hehe lol Xbone "The first game station known to cavemen...The Xbone" :) Funny type fail ^^

I hope the beta drops around the 24th Dec. :D as a gift form CF to us. :chucklefish:

13. Von Marlon

Von Marlon Pangalactic Porcupine

I thought they were going to do a Skyrim and release it today.. Bah oh well lol

14. PlayMp1

PlayMp1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not a typing fail, I'm calling it the Xbone. Way more distinguishable than Xbox One - that just makes it sound like you're talking about the original Xbox (the most frustrating part about the damn thing's name).

15. Paco495

Paco495 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

From what I have seen those vocal about "release now" just totally missed the boat when they paid their money, the concept of "funding development" just didn't make into their hippocampus. You made great points around a good faith effort and how they have demonstrated such efforts. We can debate all day on missed dates, Those folks just need to get passed it. If you want out, email the devs. If you stay in, accept it and move your energy towards something positive.

Yeah, DRM only hurts the honest gamer...not sure why companies continue to use that garbage.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
    sammanzhi likes this.
  16. OzzytheFist

OzzytheFist Big Damn Hero

You're tacking unpleasant words that mean the same thing as DRM. It limits what you can do with your product. Once it's been refined and (hopefully) less intrusive, it will go somewhere exciting I think.

Also, DRM does not mean always-online, for those that think it does. I just want to clear that up.

17. dhxmg

dhxmg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

One can always dream...

18. kesvalk

kesvalk Cosmic Narwhal

well, if starbound release this friday i probably will not play it for a while because i will be playing enemy within...

RynCage likes this.
  19. Paco495

Paco495 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Woah, DRM has only gotten worse. First gen DRM was to halt the ability to make copies...2nd gen DRM has focused on limiting rights via limited installs, always online, etc. DRM is refined and it certainly is not trending towards exciting it is only getting more restrictive. Buying software has went from owning the product to simply renting the content...with that you would think the price would go down but it has only maintained (vs. actual dollars ). I understand the reasoning behind DRM, but at some point you have to trust your fans...why make the experience so bad that folks can "download" it and have a better experience?

I am not condoning piracy by any means, I am making the point that DRM only hurts an honest gamer.

20. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

He's not asking for a refund.
    Yeah, but Xbone makes it sound dated and archaic, so I'm not sure if that's better or not :rofl:
    All of the issues I'd seen had been resolved, well besides the fundamental ones anyway. >_>

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.