1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important BETA RELEASE DISCUSSION - DECEMBER 4TH (*ALL* beta discussion goes here. Other threads deleted)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

What Ryn is talking about isn't just that tho. Its the pr funk that has built up. (Which a demo would have helped. Beta will some. Soon was months ago.)

Chucklefish has to change as a whole or history is just likely to repeat. Only this time people will be more wary about pre-ordering or supporting them in any way. They've undermined future credibility with past actions without real apology or making amends. People across the net are taking /this time/ right now as the first experience they have with Starbound and Chucklefish.

Yet, they don't seem to be concerned with it, they just keep building things up and letting them die down after nothing. i49 was just another point of that.
    Edit: Made this a little clearer.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    RynCage and Pingeh like this.
  2. Lycaon

Lycaon Big Damn Hero

Exactement. I won't recommend Chucklefish to any of my friends for preorder, so do my friends.

We are still astouned how they interact (-wrongly) and simultaneously don't interact with their backers. However, with age comes wisdom.

3. Paco495

Paco495 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Once they deliver a great game, all this minor soap opera stuff disappears.....

Wulpher likes this.
  4. DrPhibes

DrPhibes Pangalactic Porcupine

Give them a break. It's the first game they're producing and not a single team member seems to have extensive experience in the industry. It took Phil Fish 5 years to make Fez. If you want games with an extremely streamlined production process you're wrong in indie games.

5. Pizzarugi

Pizzarugi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Correction: Once they deliver a beta, will this minor soap opera stuff disappear. Because that's all the people wanted was a beta in all its buggy glory.

BrakSampson likes this.
  6. OzzytheFist

OzzytheFist Big Damn Hero

When you run a business you do.

BrakSampson, LeifGram, Hazmat and 4 others like this.
  7. misho

misho Big Damn Hero

:facepalm: perfect example of bad PR. you make them sound incompetent.
    yes and just 5 mines to kill his own career and just because someone is indie does not give them a free pass.

Hazmat and OzzytheFist like this.
  8. RynCage

RynCage 3.1415926535897...

They don't need to make a promise for a course of action to be reasonable.
    Until the next game they start working on, and the next time they set preorders, and they next time they estimate a release date, etcetera.
    just take a glance at TAW. the next thing they recommend or create will be the same soap.
    I don't know about you, but I hold people willing to take my money to a higher standard then that. Not to mention not ALL indie teams suffer same problem as CF. Just because other businesses can/do function just as poorly, doesn't make it anymore acceptable either.

Pingeh likes this.
  9. Wulpher

Wulpher Subatomic Cosmonaut

What are we going to do with our lives once the full game releases?

BlastRed likes this.
  10. RynCage

Go back to work, come home, eat, play starbound for a few hours, go to bed.

Spetznaz0 likes this.
  11. Wulpher

........work?

Twerk*

Musicalbears likes this.
  12. RynCage

a foreign concept to most starbound forum dwellers, but yes. Work hard play hard, roll around in all them fat stacks and cry tears of blood come tax time.

PolarStar, Pingeh and OzzytheFist like this.
  13. OzzytheFist

OzzytheFist Big Damn Hero

3edgy5me

BrakSampson, RynCage, Hazmat and 2 others like this.
  14. Wulpher

I literally have a folder of gif's of people ripping their shirts off (primarily Ninja Warrior stuff) for when the announcement is. I think I need to choose a favorite.

15. Fyreflyte

Fyreflyte Pangalactic Porcupine

No... you need to make a collage!

Karamunin and Hazmat like this.
  16. MagusGestalt

MagusGestalt Void-Bound Voyager

Greetings.

While it is typically my prerogative to simply observe these proceedings, I decided to do a little research into this ongoing and heated debate about beta release and I may have some unique perspective on this situation.

Essentially what it looks like from those vocal about beta release are looking for whats known legally as a bona fide effort to produce some tangible result on their investment. This term is used interchangeably with the term good faith, and represents an honest effort to fulfill the contract entered into when funding is acquired. Seeing as this project is funded "Kickstarter style" I can only assume that the contract looks similar to theirs. I am always cautious of assumptions.

Now under this agreement as defined by Kickstarter's Terms of Use, Project creators are not required to deliver on products by an estimated completion date, only to make a good faith attempt to make good on those dates. Which I would say a strong case could be made for by the daily updates and the arguably playable build presented at i49.

I do not know about CF's business model or their five year plan or whatever intentions they entered into this project with, but they have noted that there are other projects that support their company, and that they may be interested in producing other games in the future. Consumers speak with their wallets. I personally entered into this project because I felt the planned product was compelling even at the time request for funding was opened. And again, based on their product updates they have produced this good faith. We also have limited access to streaming of the nuts and bolts of the game through the eyes of its programmers. The sealing of this good faith comes with the first touch of the product to the customers hand, and that is where the tension lies. The customer desires validation of their investment. The developer desires to present a product that validates the customer's decision to invest, if not their own expectations for their creation.

In conclusion, the only concrete findings I have are, first, that Chucklefish is honestly attempting to produce a game that fulfills the consumer's, and its creator's interest. Second that if someone who invested feels dissatisfied, they have only to move forward with that notion and deny funding to future projects. I hope this argument gives shape to some commentary here in an effort to break away from the patient/impatient dialectic, and goes more towards the what is/what is not, side of things.

17. gotTodance

gotTodance Sandwich Man

I wanna have refund, i got already a offer from some of the admins months ago , but i rejectet it and said im patient-
    But now i'm done with this, i wanna have my Money back , and i will never touch this Game again.
    Can't belive i was that patient all the Time i should become my Money back twice for invest in something like this

For your next Game please cancle the Word Pre Order and add the Tag " investment" or simply leave the part with pre Order and just Kick start it.
    It's really bs (bullshit) the way you treat Pre Orders, it's like your Pre Orders mean = Kick starter.

Maybe i miss a awesome Game with awesome Features , but at this Point i don't care really, if they are nice enough to give me "my" Money back i will go and invest it to LoL or Ragnarok , if not , well shit happens.
    Worst thing is i spend more Money than even needed coz i tought this is serious.

Pingeh likes this.
  18. Wulpher

So, yea basically people are pissed, which makes other people pissed at them because they are vocal about being pissed. And I'm just here trying to start fights about what kind of cookie is better, chewy or crunchy (some whore on another thread said 'crunchy' and I think me and him are still fighting).

In a nutshell.

Paco495 and Musicalbears like this.
  19. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

hm, I know I told you to use this thread for beta-related discussion in the other thread you created, but seeing how this is a refund request, it seems to me you should send one of the devs a PM instead of using the forums :)

Paco495 and Arch-Mage Zandor like this.
  20. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Well it is a pre-order. You pay for a game before it comes out. Usually with a solid release date, sadly we don't have one. They said beta by the end of 2013, is it the end of 2013? No, so I don't know why your so mad about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.