1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed In-game bug submission system

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by RazoR2K, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RazoR2K

RazoR2K Big Damn Hero

Hey!

so i'm truly super excited for starbound to come, and as a guy who will be willing to test the game at stage 1 ( Will mainly focus on client-server sync bugs ) .

I put up this thread mainly to ask if the devs are willing to create a friendly and comfy in-game bug reporting system.

Yes, i am aware that it might take a week for a programmer to create such feature, but in the long run, it should make easier work for us beta-testers, and also, easier reporting system give better motivation for people to actually report.

EDIT: Quoted from Drakebueno which explains exactly why we need an in-game bug reporting system.

Joffez and Skitz like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

They haven't actually announced how bugs will be reported. I'm guessing either an in-game system or a dedicated forum section, hopefully the former.

thepuppetjak likes this.
  3. thepuppetjak

thepuppetjak Tentacle Wrangler

I admit an in-game system would be ideal however if there will be a seperate thread on the forums it might be useful for the developers to give us a checklist of information we need to denote; that way bug reporting would be easier for the devs and also us consumers because we'll know exactly what we need to write down in order to help.

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

It's worth mentioning that there will likely be a beta-specific forum section made on release. I imagine it could be used for communication purposes similar to what you're saying.

thepuppetjak likes this.
  5. RazoR2K

RazoR2K Big Damn Hero

Which you could do the same in an in-game system?
    even, an in-game one can be more specific as they can make you fill out a specific form where as in forums all they can do is ask the members to use a specific format.

thepuppetjak likes this.
  6. But what for?
    It's much easier to just create another forum section rather than to create a fully integrated in-game mechanic for that, it's pointless for me and doesn't make any sense at all.

PolarStar likes this.
  7. Drakebueno

Drakebueno Orbital Explorer

The benefit to adding an in-game system for bug reporting is convenience. Most people nowadays do not play a beta to bug test, they play a beta so that they can play the game early. I know many people (most in real life) that will get beta versions of games and will not take the time out to go to a forum, sign-up, and start posting bugs and answering questions. The result of this is that they are unsatisfied with the game (even though it is an unfinished product, i know, people can be stupid) and will have a bad impression. A convenient in-game bug reporting system would at least make the process convenient and maybe even tempt them to get proactive in finding these bugs. Just my two cents.

RazoR2K likes this.
  8. The whole idea of the beta isn't for the people who want to play the game early to begin with so in my opinion that whole concept of playing the game early is just flawed and pointless from the beginning, still, I agree with to some extend.

9. RazoR2K

RazoR2K Big Damn Hero

You sir, took the feelings and thoughts out of me, and translated into words, this is why exactly I opened this thread but did not find the right words for it, edited OP to clarify

I can tell you for sure that atleast 80% of the stage 1 players won't be playing the stage to report bugs, and the other 20% won't have convenience in posting them if there is no ease to do it.

10. True but that's not the devs problem the people don't want to report the bugs and we can't literally do nothing about it.

11. RazoR2K

RazoR2K Big Damn Hero

That is one of the point of this idea, if it's easy and quick to report bugs for the beta, more people will do it.
    And because this game is procedural generated, it is most likely that some people will run into bugs, that me and you will never see.
    Yes, people needs encouragement to do that.

12. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

I would much prefer to have an IG reporting system than A forum one. I wouldn't have to alt-tab to report it, and risk forgetting or losing the information I have.

13. Skitz

Skitz Big Damn Hero

In-game bug reporter allows you to link the specific entities causing problems if setup correctly or at the very least will have the gamestate and current display[ie screenshot] attached.

Tbh in-game report systems really do encourage reporting thoroughly and often.
    Eve online does this really well, and has done for a very long time since moving away from simple forum posts [for reasons above]

14. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

More isn't always better. 1 report with a semi-detailed description of the bug, where it was encountered, method(s) to reproduce it, etc is worth more than 1,000 reports saying "X doesn't work". Not that there wouldn't be any good reports from having an in-game reporting tool, but it seems like the spam generated by people not really interested in bug testing would be a significant problem.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  15. RazoR2K

RazoR2K Big Damn Hero

You realize all of these problems you described can be eliminated by good design of such feature by the developers?

Did you ever see bug reporting in TF2? it's a good example of how one should be.

Also, a forum for bug reporting? I don't even know how such thing became popular, probably because of lazy development of games/apps...

16. Pentarctagon

You can't design away laziness.

17. RazoR2K

RazoR2K Big Damn Hero

Taking extreme measures, you can fire lazy workers...

18. Pentarctagon

I don't think firing players would go over very well.

19. SkyAndKyra

SkyAndKyra Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sounds like a good idea IMO

20. Skitz

Skitz Big Damn Hero

Stop preeching people won't report properly, in almost every beta i've participated in those who would write the simple unhelpful reports are the same ones who mostly forgo the system entirely even when it's in-game.
    They should cater to those who are willing to help them not make it a pain and lose potential reporters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.