1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Races?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Wulf, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wulf

Wulf Void-Bound Voyager

What races do you want to see in the game? why?

I for one want to see a robotic race, maybe the only remnants of an exctinct civilization, mostly for a cool back story and maybe unique advanced and interesting technology (Klikiss anyone?)

Also I've seen suggestions for an underwater race that maybe can breathe underwater but has an oxygen meter on land. I like this idea because it isn't done often enough, and if ocean planets are common, it would be a different kind of approach to the game.

(note: i do not intend these to be suggestions, i want people to discuss how different races would affect gameplay)

Moogletron likes this.
  2. Grayecastle

Grayecastle Big Damn Hero

I don't think races should have any benefits or penalties to them. It would cause a possible imbalance in game-play and I do not like that at all. However I love lore and aesthetics so playable races are indeed a must

M C and wulld like this.
  3. Jayne Cobb

Jayne Cobb Big Damn Hero

I want to see horse races in the game

Oh wait.....

My feelings on race benefits and penalties are so mixed its as if I have no opinion.

As to robots I want to be kryton from Red Dwarf

4. Wulf

Wulf Void-Bound Voyager

I would agree with the unfair imbalance. I wouldn't want one race to be "better" than another but it would be possible to make them with benefits and penalties and still be equal, i.e. the underwater people, the drawback is you cant breathe on land. Its obvious that they will have missions that will require you to stay on dry land for extended periods of time, but maybe also have missions that require you to spend lots of time in water. So if you play as an aquatic character the extended land missions may require some sort of reverse SCUBA (or SCABA :p), while the land characters would require a SCUBA to do the extended aquatic missions.

5. Grayecastle

Grayecastle Big Damn Hero

That seems like a lot of hassle to do for the player and for the developer. Just my opinion though

6. Wulf

Wulf Void-Bound Voyager

yeah, i just thought it would be neat. but i too am more interested with looks and back stories.

Devon Castleman likes this.
  7. Gadgetguy

Gadgetguy Bag of Holding

I really want a cyborg race!
    Complete opposite of the archaic Avians the cyborgs have everything look futuristic :D

Aeros and Moogletron like this.
  8. Aeros

Aeros Starship Captain

Dwarves. They should be able to walk through smaller gaps than humans but be slower. That would be awesome.

9. GreenBlah

GreenBlah Void-Bound Voyager

I would want Goo/Blob-type of race.
    They would be able to use stuff like chemicals to their advantages, move slow due to no real muscles or such, and be able to withstand bullet or projectile damage. Maybe they could be flamable or explosive :ssssssssss:

10. Aeros

Aeros Starship Captain

Cool.

11. Jayne Cobb

Jayne Cobb Big Damn Hero

Even if there are differences between the races they should not be this extreme. Love the (unless its not) creeper reference though,

I want a jumpy Italian plumber race.

Underwater would be cool but wouldn't be worth not breathing on land as most if not all the planets will be mainly land (I think). If they could go in lava too.......

Wulf likes this.
  12. Myko

Myko Intergalactic Tourist

An alien race with the ability to fly/jump high with some kind of balancing penalty would be cool.

13. TheMurumasa

TheMurumasa Existential Complex

I want a classic alien race, green or blue, Big head, thin, oval eyes etc.

14. Kjkillercom

Kjkillercom Pangalactic Porcupine

A robotic race would be kinda cool. One that I would love to see again is the ones that was in KKND 2. They started out as simple farm bots that went about there daily routines like any other faithful robot slave, at least until the great war came and wiped out all of there crops and fields thus destroying their purpose in life. They despised the humans (both kinds) for what they have done and plotted their revenge. As the two human races waged war once again the robots upgraded themselves with weapons and finally wreaked havoc when the time was right. Now that would be an awesome addition to Starbound! Have a race of disgruntled robots that maybe invade random planets or give you trouble on your adventures. I would love to see that in the game.

15. Vinnamon_Buns

Vinnamon_Buns Void-Bound Voyager

Would there be a cyborg option? Perks could include built-in weak weaponry, and the cost of not being able to swim(Either sinks like a hammer or damaged by water)?

16. Glitchyroach

Glitchyroach Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What about something like Rho's avatar? anyone else notice how it seems to have glowing blue eyes, dark skin, and bright colored hair? I wonder if that will be some sort of in-game race.

17. ...Or maybe you can customize Human race's appearance:V

Vinnamon_Buns likes this.
  18. Glitchyroach

Glitchyroach Scruffy Nerf-Herder

While in terms of game mechanics that is possible, but i'm talking from a lore perspective, unless there was some sort of genetic mutation, i can't see how a human would gain extraordinarily bright hair and glowing blue eyes.

19. Em.. Too much time in the tanning bed?:giggle:
    [​IMG]

Vinnamon_Buns likes this.
  20. Aware14

Aware14 Big Damn Hero

I think all races should have origin areas, other than that be the same only a different skin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.