1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What operating system will you be playing Starbound on?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by shucklefan1, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

If you're running Chrubuntu, then it's probably safe to assume your on a Chromebook in which case I highly doubt you'll be able to run Starbound through wine unless you have upgraded the SSD & the RAM in it. Even then I would bet you'll have a hard time with the CPU. And as someone else stated, programs like Wine do have their limits and usually can't run new programs.

As a Windows 8 user, I must ask why you don't like Windows 8? Have & for how long have you used it for? Did you know it operates faster then Windows 7 and the only real difference between Windows 7 & 8 is the start button & menu, everything else is practically the same.

Corrupt Ai likes this.
  2. Princess Cadence

Princess Cadence Pangalactic Porcupine

Windows Vista.
    Don't get me wrong I like its layout.
    Haven't had any problems with it either.

3. Magma Claw

Magma Claw Existential Complex

1+ but hate the networking settings >.>

4. ZXCV4523

ZXCV4523 Big Damn Hero

Windows 7 but if I can run this on my Linux setup that be great

5. Dr.Narwhal

Dr.Narwhal Big Damn Hero

My imagination

ZXCV4523 likes this.
  6. ZXCV4523

ZXCV4523 Big Damn Hero

lol best OS 2013

7. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Windows 8 POINT 1.

8. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

ALL OF MY ENVY. ALL OF IT.

9. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

Windows 7. Win 8 isn't that great... IMO

10. Sklobington

Sklobington Void-Bound Voyager

It's tile-based. I loath that about it. Sure, it works well on a phone. But not on a PC. I like my PC GUI in lists, not tiles. I even heard Bill Gates has said he doesn't like Windows 8, but the source of that information isn't very trustworthy.

Gredd18 likes this.
  11. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

Only the start menu is 'tile' based, aka metro themed, and oddly enough, there are loads of mods out there to give back the Win7 start menu to Win8 users. So with the performance upgrade Windows 8 has over 7 and the metro theme being your only reason for not liking something you have clearly never used and probably never even looked into after seeing screen shots of the start menu, I think you should reconsider your reasoning.

Corrupt Ai likes this.
  12. Wyvern

Wyvern Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Why the hell would you need to run Starbound over Wine?

13. shucklefan1

shucklefan1 Phantasmal Quasar

Yea lol, You can just run linux starbound normally.

14. OzzytheFist

OzzytheFist Big Damn Hero

Windows 8.

15. Chrisis

Chrisis Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Isnt SteamOS a Linux "build"?
    Also, I'l be playing on W7 and W8

16. Nintendo_Play

Nintendo_Play Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What kind of unholy power is in that Calculator to run as well as a computer!?

Gredd18 and Auraknight like this.
  17. Snowfalcon

Snowfalcon Big Damn Hero

Almost as trustworthy showcasing the Xbones disguised as HPs running win 7 ;).

SuperMann likes this.
  18. JoshF

JoshF Void-Bound Voyager

Off topic, but what do you guys and gals who have windows 8 like it compared to windows 7?

19. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I use Win7 x64 on both my desktop and laptop PCs. (In the case of the laptop, it was preinstalled at purchase.)

HOWEVER.

When I get a dedicated server running for my WoW guild (got a few in there who are already big Terraria fans and are looking forward to Starbound) I'll be hosting that on a Linux box, or a rented VPS in a datacenter somewhere. (Again, Linux-based)

20. SamuraiJack7

SamuraiJack7 Subatomic Cosmonaut