1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What operating system will you be playing Starbound on?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by shucklefan1, Oct 21, 2013.

1. shucklefan1

shucklefan1 Phantasmal Quasar

Preferably, Id be playing on Linux (Chrubuntu).
    What operating system will you guys be playing on? Windows, Linux , or Mac ? X3

2. CrimsonWingzz

CrimsonWingzz Pangalactic Porcupine

3. samufel

samufel Subatomic Cosmonaut

I will play on Windows but I'd like Starbound to be crossplatform in the futur so I could play with my son, who has an android tab.

4. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

Windows.
    Mac is just incompatible with most games, I don't see why you'd choose one over a windows.

5. Kage Tempest

Kage Tempest Pangalactic Porcupine

Windows 7 64 bit

6. Ironangel2k2

Ironangel2k2 Big Damn Hero

7. ddawg77

ddawg77 Void-Bound Voyager

With Mac you can use bootcamp to run any Windows program.

Klemar and Sklobington like this.
  8. shucklefan1

shucklefan1 Phantasmal Quasar

Linux has a program called Wine, that is used to play windows games.

wtfkiffer likes this.
  9. Lila

Lila Phantasmal Quasar

Primarily windows. However my computer tri-boots win, linux and mac (hackintosh). What I use depends on my mood.

Also I picked up an older mac pro with dual xeons at the MIT flea market yesterday that I will probably use to run my starbound server.

Chrisis and XaoG like this.
  10. XP sp3.. It just works with everything :0p

Sklobington likes this.
  11. Eventar

Eventar Void-Bound Voyager

Mostly Windows, but as I am pretty much traveling around the next year it will be MacOS (with Bootcamp Windows, but hell I am to lazy to boot up again to often, so MacOS it will be^^)

12. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

13. The Graceful Savage

The Graceful Savage Void-Bound Voyager

Wine doesnt run all games though, and does have its merits. From what I've heard about bootcamp and read briefly online, it seems to run pretty well anything though.

In any case, Linus is still a far more capable gaming OS, especially with Steam games being more accessible than ever on it and the new steamboxes all running a variant of ubuntu.

14. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

I'll probably play it on my Calculator...
    :sarcasm:

15. Symphony

Symphony Giant Laser Beams

Though I don't understand why this is really something to talk about... Windows.
    If anyone viewing is wondering, since the topic may lead you here, I believe starbound will be compatible on ALL platforms AT beta release. (I heard the devs are using different operating systems, so yeah)

16. Simon Petrikov

Simon Petrikov Ketchup Robot

I dont know because I am thinking of switching.
    I am either going to play Starbound on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Not sure.

17. T-Bone Biggins

T-Bone Biggins Phantasmal Quasar

Linux runs several games via WINE better than the same exact PC using Windows. I tested it on several games in the past, don't want to get into details because there are too many. Nowadays Linux is like Android was 2 years ago, not as good now as another platform but it has obvious potential to get better fast if the market just shifts a little. Just use LinuxMint, it's what Ubuntu would have been if Canonical didn't go batshit insane with their tablet interface and other bs that dethroned Ubuntu from the top to least recommended Linux by most pros.

18. YukiTrance

YukiTrance Big Damn Hero

I'll be using an Amiga 500.

J-block likes this.
  19. The Graceful Savage

The Graceful Savage Void-Bound Voyager

I'm going to try to get it on my TI 86

carcrasher65 likes this.
  20. Untega

Untega Pangalactic Porcupine

Steam, just to be different.