1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiplayer in Starbound vs Multiplayer in Terraria

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Luckyscar, Oct 19, 2013.

?

Hard to make servers okay?

1. Would you like for Starbound to make playing with your friends easier, if only by making creating a

91.2%
  2. Or did you like Terraria's way of doing things, are you fine with how it seems the game's multiplaye

8.8%
  1. Luckyscar

Luckyscar Master Chief

Quite simply put I loved terraria, but only when I played with friends. Otherwise I just felt lonely when playing it, and well creating servers was a complete pain. I am hoping that Starbound will make multiplayer more accessible, with less work initially involved. As of now it seems like it will be the exact same with no improvements concerning ease of access. This is worrying for me and I decided to create this thread because no one else seems to care, I want to see if this is true. Would you like for Starbound to make playing with your friends easier, if only by making creating a server as simple as clicking one button in game? Or did you like Terraria's way of doing things, are you fine with how it seems the game's multiplayer will be? I understand that servers is how a lot of games do things, but Terraria's server creation process was particularly un-intuitive.

Note: Overall I think Starbound is looking to be an absolutely amazing game and I have no other problems with it than this one. I want to be able to play with my friends easily upon the release of open beta.

Passarbye likes this.
  2. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

i would vote, but the options are cut off because of the character limit. :(

edit: voted top option. i would like to be able to host a server with a click of a button.
    i would also like servers to not kill bandwidth, but we can all hope.

Serenity likes this.
  3. Luckyscar

Luckyscar Master Chief

Read the post, the questions I say at the end are what the poll is basically, this is my first thread so I wasn't aware of the character limit.

warcore likes this.
  4. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

From what I hear starbound wants to try and be easy to connect to a multiplayer sessions. Hopefully it will be as accessible as they plan.

Why would anyone WANT multiplayer to be hard, Unless you mean do we want dedicated servers (servers ran separate from the game) or a client that functions a server as well. If so I would both.

5. Kujar3

Kujar3 Existential Complex

What we have seen so far was just putting an IP adress after clicking the multiplayer button in some videos. So I asume it's similiar to terraria with creating a server. I have never created one so I really don't know the process, but my friends were creating them with no problem what so ever, it can't be that difficult.
    It can pretty much change tho, what we have seen was pre-beta/alpha stuff and they weren't focusing on the multiplayer part too much.

But I personaly don't really care, I prefer playing alone :)

6. Aqualex

Aqualex Subatomic Cosmonaut

As linkthegamer says, I believe I've also heard somewhere that they'll make multiplayer more easily accessed compared to Terraria. One thing I'm hoping is for if they add some sort of thing that makes singleplayer fun. I remember playing Terraria for the first time, singleplayer got boring the second day. Still, the game is a blast playing with friends. I got 720+ hours on it. :p But yeah, as long as they don't remove multiplayer completely because of some unseen circumstances, I'm happy. :D

linkthegamer likes this.
  7. MrHiggle

MrHiggle Existential Complex

I'd prefer not to have wyvern heads that only my friends can see slaughtering our NPC's...

linkthegamer likes this.
  8. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

No, multiplexer should be super easy. Configuring servers and all that will always be hard for people that don't understand, but there's good alternatives. Minecraft added some sort of "LAN play mode" where you can just press one button and play on a LAN network. Then terraria added a new feature in 1.2 where it will automatically port-forward. Both of those things would be very good to make it easier to play :)

9. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

This title really needs to be changed to mention you are talking about servers and ease of setting up joining them. I thought this was going to be one of those Starbound is better then Terraria threads. Anyways I don't think its possible to set up a server with one button unless you are using LAN because of all the options you need to set up like player limit and possibly how much bandwidth to allocate to it.

10. Cenlax

Cenlax Title Not Found

I hope for this feature, because most of Starbounds fame will probably come from Multiplayer and sharing the word.

11. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Personally want it to be better multiplayer wise then terreria.

12. linkthegamer

I am hoping the story will make singleplayer fun. While I kinda like the explore and survive along gameplay it really is not that fun if you are not a person who likes setting your own goals or seeing how far you can get, and having friends around to do stuff with vastly improves the experience. Hopefully they find the good balance between being fun for solo players as well as for groups.

Aqualex and Serenity like this.
  13. Luckyscar

Luckyscar Master Chief

Thanks for all the replies and I realize that they have said that they plan to make it easier, I have read every update they've posted. BUT very little has been said for what exactly they will do to improve upon it, and what I mean to say with this thread is: do you think easy to access multiplayer is vital to Starbound being enjoyable to you specifically? Or were you fine with Terraria's bare minimum way of implementing multiplayer that made it hard to play with friends. Is good single player simply more important to you.

14. Rufran

Rufran Phantasmal Quasar

What do you mean by "un-intuitive"? The only part of setting up a Terraria server that isn't explained by plain as day text is port forwarding. I can tell you right now: port forwarding is not going to go away. Not all game servers require this to be done because they want to make it difficult; it's a necessary part of networking. Terraria has an option now called "Auto-Port Forwarding". It will be the best you can get if it actually works. I don't know how it works, and my initial thought is that it wouldn't. Routers are not identical, so if the program doesn't know what your router is it shouldn't be able to do anything about it. Also, you would need the router password which you may not have access to if you are using a network you don't own.

Renlou and linkthegamer like this.
  15. linkthegamer

The auto-port forwarding uses some protocols (I have not looked into it but the 2 most common are UPNP or nat-pmp dunno about any others), as long as your router supports the one used and it is turn on then the program is able to tell the router what port it needs opened. However if your router is too old to support Upnp or nat-pmp or your network admin is a security conscious and turns it off then it will fail. I know my router supports upnp, not sure on nat-pmp, have to look that up but i think it does.

Rufran likes this.
  16. Skippy3

Skippy3 Pangalactic Porcupine

Setting up a server in Terraria is about as simple as it gets.

17. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

It would be nice to not need Hamachi or Comodo Unite or whatever to link up with friends, but that means more work for Chucklefish because they'd need to write up an in-game program to serve the same purpose, which could very likely be less effective than just recommending that players use one of these VPN programs. I'm more concerned about how well performance will work when playing online with other people, since I always get tons of lag when I play Terraria. Maybe I just need a new computer.

18. Skippy3

Skippy3 Pangalactic Porcupine

Since when have they ever been necessary? Doesn't anyone know how to forward their ports these days?

19. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

As LinkTheGamer mentioned, auto-port forwarding uses some protocols that aren't supported by old routers, and sometimes network admins are paranoid security conscious and disable the options necessary to allow it. Sorting out the problems isn't exactly difficult, but many players want to be able to connect with friends at the press of a button and not have to worry about things like network settings or IP addresses or anything really.

The demands of users can be really extreme. A lot of people are just that lazy.

20. Sen-Mithrarin

Sen-Mithrarin Industrial Terraformer

I don't mind ether way really. Port-forwarding is actually easy and I literally face-palmed when I eventually found out how to do it. I used to think it was hard like everyone else until I found the right tutorial for me. If anyone doesn't know how just keep looking it up and eventually you get it. Better to try again then to give up and never be able to do it.

Skippy3 likes this.