Romance Options

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Pringlesniffer, Oct 8, 2013.

?

Would you like to have Romance Options in Starbound?

1. Yes

79.8%
  2. No

20.2%
  1. Pringlesniffer

Pringlesniffer Orbital Explorer

I was wondering if you guys will ever plan on having romance options like they do in BioWare games?

Romance options in a game like Starbound would make the player experience all that much more personal and deep. Have a handful of random traits and personalities that could possible appear in romanceable NPCs and court them. Eventually they'll move into your base and or spaceship where you can get to know them more.

Have special events where your romanced lover is stolen to a far away planet or dungeon where you have to go and save them!

(Please don't hesitate to add your own ideas to what a Romanceable NPC's might be able to do!)

Possible Details....

• They can give you gifts and special items that are only obtained through romancing them.
    • To keep them happy they can request certain items for you to go retrieve for them
    • You can give them decorational items to put in your base on their own. (optionally you can tell them not to so you can do it yourself)
    • You can help them learn how to fight for themselves, eventually getting free from their captors. As an added bonus they'll share what they've found while fighting their way out.
    Please cast your vote here...!
    http://playstarbound.com/suggestions/?p=view&id=9329

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. Ruin

Ruin Existential Complex

To quickly reiterate; I agree that this should be a mechanic in the game. People may not think it's important, but this is a sandbox after all. It's the little things people.

Also, here is my previous thought, should you want a deeper analysis;
    I don't know, I have half a mind to actually like this suggestion *hint* , but it's still in it's infancy, so it needs revisions. Obviously, the romance isn't gonna be as steamy as in Mass Effect, but I see no harm in it. Surely it must get lonely in deep space. Besides, most people grow affectionate towards followers that they spend a lot of time with anyhow. So if there are followers, I think romance would fit.

(NINJA: You beat me to it.)

Pringlesniffer likes this.
  4. Pringlesniffer

Pringlesniffer Orbital Explorer

Maybe make them become an "advance follower" after sometime? What if we were able to tell them how they should fight in battle "Stay in Close Range, Medium Range, Far Range" and give them appropriate gear? At a certain percentage of health you can tell them to use a healing potion or a healing spell to keep themselves alive?

Something similar to the NPC Rotation/Customization that was present in Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, and Armored Core Verdict Day. It'd doesn't have to be extremely detailed but it would help make your romanced companion a little more advance then other followers/companions you may have in your group.

Farathil and Ruin like this.
  5. Ruin

Ruin Existential Complex

I forget which I game I played that had this mechanic, but I think it's a really good idea. I mean, logically speaking, if you were in love with someone, you would probably do your absolute best to keep them safe. Ergo, you would fight better, perhaps even more ferociously? I believe this translates into the game world quite effectively. Someone has a high affinity for you = they want to fight for/with you.

Or even if they're simply a lover, and not a fighter. It would still be nice to have someone (even if they're not real) that believes in you, or your character, more accurately. And I like the whole Kidnapping thing, although it would only really work for certain personality types. It should also only be very rare, having them kidnapped every day would get a bit tiresome.

6. Eolond

Eolond Phantasmal Quasar

We already know we're going to be able to tame creatures and have them fight alongside us, correct? Why not make companions that you've married/romanced act like a combat pet? I think it would also be nice if instead of them just dying or having to force them to use potions, they just become unable to fight for awhile after their health reaches a certain low point.

I do like the idea of getting quests that would involve rescuing your partner, as long as they didn't pull a Princess Peach and get captured constantly.

Would be nice to have the option to romance/marry other players, as well. Maybe doing so with an actual player would offer some sort of benefit? Something along the lines of shared pixels. Even if you're not close to that player, any pixels you collect would be evenly split between the two. Not sure if people would go for that, though.

7. Avialle

Avialle Void-Bound Voyager

I wonder, why are there 7 votes for yes but no one clicked on Suggestionsbot`s link to actually vote for it?
    I see this a lot on the suggestion-forum.. clicking the poll doesnt make anything, we need to upvote/downvote
    to get our voices heard. :)

But maybe thats because there are as many upvoters as downvoters, who knows?

8. Loxy

Loxy Pangalactic Porcupine

Why romance I wonder? Couldn't all this happen with gifts from associates that deem you famous enough?

The whole romance thing is unsettling in my opinion, Probably because of those shoddy "creations" in the Free to Play genre of MMOs today (take MapleStory) That take romancing to unsightly new heights.

The idea behind it is great and all, But maybe not in a courtship, love and romance sort of way? and more towards being the hero of the story, The Robin Hood (and his merry men if your a multiplayer fad like myself) route instead?

Call me old fashioned but I prefer my romancing options.. real and alive, rather then have to think about what I'm doing around a procedurally generated pixel boob.

F-ranko likes this.
  9. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Because the people who visit the forums don't usually browse the suggestion thing on playstarbound.com and clicking and extra link to vote is excruciatingly hard.

Maw likes this.
  10. Solomon Darling

Solomon Darling Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What about people who like to roleplay?

Also, I find it much easier to worry about protecting and caring for an NPC if he/she shares some sort of bond with my character. I don't care for random people who'd suck up to me with gifts, just 'cause I'm famous.

Farathil likes this.
  11. Casm

Casm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't know about in the base game, but I think this is a fantastic idea for a fun mod for someone to create. Kudos on the idea

12. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

I would like this better as a mod, that way it wouldn't be forced upon people. I personally never liked it when games force things like romance on you (I'm looking at you Bioware), it always felt weird to me.

13. Solomon Darling

Solomon Darling Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's not like you have to bond with NPCs.:geek:
    The options is just there, it's up to you to do it or not.

Farathil likes this.
  14. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

But the option would still come up, that's the issue, what if I accidentally hit it? Now I just started something I have no interest in. Maybe instead of it being there from the get go it could be something that can be toggled in the options menu?

Dat Critter likes this.
  15. Hueman

Hueman Sandwich Man

"Colonise the universe! Kill the monsters! Get the Girl!" - Starbound

soarin24, Farathil and Heartstrings like this.
  16. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

In bioware though you can always say "this isn't working out" or something cliche like that. You could also just kill the person too, "I love you too much to allow you to live!" :p . Still just because you don't like an idea that is optional doesn't mean it should be eradicated from the game. Just seems selfish to me *shrug* :confused:.
    :edit: Not to mention that's why they added saves.
    I for one think it's a good idea.
    I always love options, and immersion building events, and also detailed characters. Also it makes your home planet feel more like a home.
    I would love to come back to my home planet, and have my wonderful Floran wife making a delicious Human sammich

17. Mailboxhead

Mailboxhead Master Astronaut

I think the romance system of the Fable franchise might be a closer comparison to this than Bioware's games. But it would be quite fun, especially since NPC's are pretty chatty now. Imagine the cutesy little things your sweetheart might say to you as you travel together. :love:

Interracial marriage might be an interesting topic though. Perhaps it could add some depth to certain NPC interaction, possibly with bigots who might refuse to deal with you. A darker topic, I know, but still something to keep in mind.
    *Life Mate
    :rofl:

Pringlesniffer and Farathil like this.
  18. Renstash09

Renstash09 Big Damn Hero

I like it when games give you different options for interacting with NPC's. This could easily add to that, and if your doing single player, you won't feel as alone, so to say. It would be hilarious to watch your wife/husband fight things with a sword.

Edit: Sorry Mail :3

19. Mailboxhead

Mailboxhead Master Astronaut

Or husband. :rolleyes:

20. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Well I consider the wife the one that's in the kitchen. :rofl: