1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Beta characters saved or not for full release???

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Malcara, Sep 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malcara

Malcara Star Wrangler

If this was asked and answered before I apologize. I tried the search bar and no matter how I typed this in Couldn't find anything useful and in most cases nothing at all. I'm wondering when beta is released will the characters you create be saved for full release? Most games don't transfer over characters and or progress from beta to full release but some do. Anyone know?

2. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Since there will be quite a bit of content added from the beta to full version... I would say no. At the same time, that might be why the beta is taking so long to come out, so that once full version hit the char dont have to be reseted. Then again, I dont really know.

3. My guess would be that depends on what's added/changed between those two releases.

OneOnlyDan and Katzeus like this.
  4. mivader

mivader Pangalactic Porcupine

Just play it safe, make your char. now. Then when the game comes out, window it, open both your picture of your character you made and save, and the game. Then just mimic the character. This won't help you keep your stuff, but you still keep your looks ;)

Neebew and Dat Critter like this.
  5. greenman

greenman Spaceman Spiff

The best we can do is hope. It's really gonna be up to the abilities of the dev team to plan ahead and make this sort of thing possible. I'm sure it's a concern of theirs though. I remember reading a comment from Tiy that went something like this [paraphrasing] "... if a bug makes the game crash and the player loses progress, we've got a real problem. I've played games that did this and it made me rage/quit what would have been a really great game."

They don't want you to lose progress because that's really frustrating. However, if the game update is complex enough, you might have to start over :/

Katzeus likes this.
  6. Immortal

Immortal Pangalactic Porcupine

I suppose that will depend what is changed between beta and full...

I hope the character and the inventory will stay, even if some of the tools and weapons will surely get their stats tweaked - but then I hope you'll just get the new statistics on your weapons.
    A more difficult thing seems to be the way planets are handled. As I understand right now, the way it works is that the game has an algorithm integrated which uses the star coordinates as seeds/input to generate the same planet at those coordinates for every player. Once you beam down and make alterations to the planet by building/destroying stuff, those alterations to the "originally generated" planet are saved locally on your computer. But surely the planets and ore distributions etc. will change as well between beta and release, so while you might get to keep your character, I think your built structures and visited planets will disappear and perhaps even look differen with every update, or at least every update that has to do with seed generation, ore distribution, new dungeons etc.

7. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Currently player save files are stabilizing; however, they're still being invalidated quite a bit.

One thing that we could do, but I haven't discussed it with the rest of the team yet, is once we begin versioning player save files we can have a standalone program to convert between versions.

8. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

If save files will be converted individually as you're suggesting, would that mean legacy seed coordinates will be invalidated for people who don't have old save file data for those locations?

9. OmnipotentEntity

We can convert player files pretty easily. But world files will pretty much be unconvertible. Sorry.

Katzeus likes this.
  10. Katzeus

What you're discussing is a solution for save files in beta correct? Is the plan to preserve seeds between versions once the game goes to full release?

11. OmnipotentEntity

That's the plan.

Katzeus likes this.
  12. Katzeus

Thanks man, not too worried about jinkyness in beta. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed it irons out for release

13. EXCU

EXCU Tentacle Wrangler

I was also wondering the exact same thing. I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. Thanks OmnipotentEntity.

14. Posigen

Posigen Space Spelunker

I'm guessing you could attempt to get your character out of the save file and copy it into the full release

15. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

Like you and the devs said it's not that hard to go into your Starbound beta folder and just drag and drop the player files(supposing you're using windows and the saves are located in x86)(supposing you would have already converted it)

16. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Likely will not be that bad for Mac or Linux either, as long as they are not stored somewhere that requires root permissions or anything like that. My guess is those would store roughly the same way minecraft does on those systems (.Starbound in the user's /home directory for Linux. Not sure where Macs would be since I have never had access to where I could download a game like that).

17. NightFire

Definitely won't be bad for Mac or linux after seeing how much support they're putting into all the OS

18. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

Still I didn't get it. Planets will be resetted,but player's gear wil be POSSIBLY kept?

19. NightFire

Planets are an entirely different story rather than a players items because in the full release they might have changed how biomes generate or how monsters spawn where they spawn and their spawning conditions

but items can just be easily transferred (or if you can't tranfer characters you can always snap a pic of your character and there inventory and just InvEdit them in)(supposing one will be out for the full release)

20. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks for clarification. But character transfer without items seems a bit pointless. As you mentioned,I can just recreate my character using picture. Well,now we only can wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.