Default controls.

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Ado, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

So what are the default controls for now?The main question that I've been asking myself is "W" going to be the jump button or is it going to be space

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  2. pacN

pacN Industrial Terraformer

I really hope it will be space for the jumping. Otherwise you could just rebind the controls.

3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Can't remember off the top of my head. Hopefully you can bind keys to your liking, in any case.

Serenity and ImmortalFrog like this.
  4. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Of course you can. Maybe I'll get them mouse with the buttons. No keyboard needed and pseudo-amputee usable.

Jonesy likes this.
  5. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I tried playing Terraria with Spacebar for Jumping once.

Rage quit after ten minutes and wanted to cut my thumb off.

I play the cello, so I have flexible hands, but even so I still cramped up.

Honestly, the developers should assume the player is looking at the keyboard for anything not limited to WASD, and probably taking their hands away from the movement keys to press it. Heck, it took me a while to get used to using E for the grappling hook, even. Of course, that's just my preference.

Miles likes this.
  6. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Wut? Is this more sarcasm? I don't understand you Luvdisc.

Lody likes this.
  7. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

yeah.I got annoyed by the jump button in terraria too.But i got used to it,but I'll rebind my key immediately if its not W.

8. DeadlyLuvdisc

Dead serious. No sarcasm.
    I even have fairly small hands.

Some people just can't use their hands the same way as everyone else, either because their joints don't move the same way or their fingers aren't the same length or whatever.

Controls can be a fickle thing. To one person they are totally smooth, to another they are hell for your fingers. There's an autistic pro gamer who plays Super Smash Brothers Melee using his face and mouth to play, and one who plays with each stick pinched between his thumb and index fingers while pressing buttons with his middle fingers. I even know a player who uses his controller upside down because when his mother gave him the game to play she handed it to him that way and he didn't know better, so he just learned to play it that way.

Here's a video with yet another unusual way to hold a controller.
    This particular player is well known for his incredible technical accuracy.

9. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Well I do have really big hands. I perfectly fine with space jump but I could understand the pan for some people. Key rebinding is always an option so I guess it wouldn't be that much of a problem. I tried playing that method once, it was actually pretty good in fighter games if you constantly switch between buttons. Mash buttons however is not recommended with this method.

10. Show

Show Phantasmal Quasar

I play fighting games using a similar claw method. Grew up when arcade games were still better than consoles, so it's just always felt natural to press down on command buttons with the tips of my fingers. Works well for fps games as well (using middle fingers for triggers).

For Starbound controls...as long as they can be remapped, I'll be fine : )

WASD movement works best for me, space jump, and love rebinding as much as possible to my mouse. Always takes me a while to learn a new mouse, but been playing with a Logitech G700 for a while now, and love the layout and options of the extra 7 buttons.

[​IMG]

4 for the thumb, 3 for index finger. Add shift and control modifiers and you have 21 different commands on your mouse : )

11. DeadlyLuvdisc

I think I enjoyed looking at that a little too much. :oops:

Seriously, though. Maybe I should look into getting a gaming mouse.

Probably not something that extensive, though.

Edit: I'm also pretty sure that is the G700, not G500.

12. Show

Show Phantasmal Quasar

Edited it after you posted...not sure why I put 500 at first except that it was a while ago when I bought it and got the numbers mixed up :p

It is a very pretty mouse though...

If you don't mind a larger mouse, and want to get a great introduction to the world of gaming mice, I'd recommend trying to find a first gen Microsoft Sidewinder.
    Very comfortable, and comes with adjustable weights and sliders. Two side buttons that are very easy to learn with your thumb and give a satisfying button press.

The keybinding software doesn't work with macs, but if you use a PC, I'd highly recommend trying one out. They hold up very well...used mine for 4 years of heavy gaming with no issues with the buttons.

[​IMG]

The middle buttons are dpi presets. Handy for switching mouse speed quickly (pretty nice for FPS games when you want to change between sniping and melee quickly, or for digital art and switching between broad strokes and detail work). The only thing I didn't like about the mouse was the little flat button in front of the two thumb buttons. You can use it for on the fly macros, but I'd very rarely hit it against my keyboard and lose control of my character.

13. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

And this is my mouse.

[​IMG]

Heh.

14. DeadlyLuvdisc

Mine is so outdated:
    [​IMG]

15. Marianne Asteri

Marianne Asteri Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Not bad, not bad at all. I can see that it is a wireless mouse. The design is very organic and ergonomic.
    But where are the buttons?

On topic: I think the controls will likely be similar to most side-scrolling games out there today. W for jump, S for crouch and A and D for side to side movement. And mouse to point things at other things. Basic.

16. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

I'm altering the button fad. Pray that I don't alter it further.

17. Difiv3

Difiv3 Space Spelunker

Yeah space is the jump button for me on any game since i think its the best button for jumping :D.

I totally agree with u

18. ksnoopy

ksnoopy Void-Bound Voyager

I use mouse in left hand so don't like WASD keys but prefer arrows. I didn't see a way to rebind in this game so I rebound using AutoHotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com/).
    Here's my script in case others are interested.

^!s::Suspend

Home::E
    Insert::I
    PgUp::Space
    Up::W
    Down::S
    Left::A
    Right::D
    RShift::LShift
    End::X
    Del::Z

Numpad1::1
    Numpad2::2
    Numpad3::3
    Numpad4::4
    Numpad5::5
    Numpad6::6
    Numpad7::7
    Numpad8::8
    Numpad9::9

19. TMTVL

TMTVL Space Hobo

Aren't the input settings saved in a .config file?
    Shouldn't be too hard to adjust yourself.

EDIT: Now I'm actually curious where to find the input handlers...
    Code:
    if(keyPressed.equals(Keysettings.LEFT)){
        Player.move(Directions.LEFT);
    }

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013