1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

(Modding) How to get started modding Starbound.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SquarelyCircle, Sep 9, 2013.

1. SquarelyCircle

SquarelyCircle Cosmic Narwhal

Introduction
    I recently decided that I'd like to participate in modding for Starbound. Let me quickly state that the purpose I'm interested isn't to make improvements on the game. I haven't even played it!! Modding is a fun activity. As one forum member stated, it is part of the "end game" content for some players. Also, I just thought that we've got some time on our hands before SB comes out. Might as well get ourselves ready with whatever is available.​
    Other Threads
    This incredibly useful guide to adding items by Molly should be viewed by anyone that found their way here! (Thanks to Xander)​
    Basic Object Implementation: A Tutorial

Other threads discuss what people plan to mod into the game:​
    Modding Possibilities
    What mods do you think will, like, 100% sure it will come for Starbound?

And the following thread has some interesting relevant information:​
    Modding Support?

Goals of this Thread
    My goals with this thread are to:​
    1. Get modding information into one place
    2. Supply sufficient info so that people can get started modding ASAP
    I'm not a pro at forums or modding or coding or anything. I'm just gonna do my best and try to work with people and get better. So feel free to give feedback.​

Starbound Modding History
    There was supposed to be a modding panel at i49, but it was unfortunately cancelled. So, I've been searching forums and asking questions, but I can't find too much info. Forgive my inability to remember my sources, but this is what I gather.​
    1. Tiy has stated that they hope to implement Steam Workshop. However, I'm under the impression that this feature has not been confirmed.
    2. Modding will be possible with LUA and JSON. (source: http://community.playstarbound.com/...age-was-the-game-coded-in.29119/#post-1144503)
    3. The game is coded in C++, but the API is intended to be sufficient that access to the original code will be unneccessary.
    4. Modding will be easy to do.
    5. Some modding tools will be provided by the Starbound team.
    6. Modding is being considered as they develop the code.
    7. Some modding will be possible at launch ("very simple resource addition and replacement"), but modding support will expand thereafter.
    8. API will be expanded as needed.
    9. API will not be available immediately at release.
    10. Eventual server mod pushing which is off by default.
    Starbound modding setup
    LUA
    I have eclipse, and have never coded in LUA before. So, this is what I've come up with as the best setup. Opinions?​
    LUA Development Tools for Eclipse: http://www.eclipse.org/koneki/ldt/

JSON
    JSON isn't it's own programming language, from what I understand. I've never used it, but it seems more like a standardized set of simple terms used to simplify java object programming. I believe someone on the forums described it as being similar to XML. An online editor is available at the JSON homepage.​
    JSON homepage: http://www.json.org/

More to Come
    Closing
    I hope to fill this thread with additional information as it becomes available. If you have valuable information about modding Starbound, please provide it, and I'll fit it into the existing layout I've got above.​

zanthal, WackyWocky, KirasiN and 11 others like this.
  2. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

This was surprisingly useful. I didn't know it was using Lua and JSON. I wasn't even sure there WAS scripting.

I might have to brush up on my lua. I don't think I've programmed it since I played WoW, which was a really long time ago. :D

SquarelyCircle likes this.
  3. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Skarn and SquarelyCircle like this.
  4. Rookee

Rookee Big Damn Hero

Very nice thread, I hope you can keep it updated.

5. Torren

Torren Ketchup Robot

Should report this for sticky.

6. SquarelyCircle

SquarelyCircle Cosmic Narwhal

How can I not like that comment?! :D

7. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

Well darn. And here I was taking a course on C++ this semester. :rofl:

Thanks for the info, I'd been looking for something like this the past few weeks but didn't find anything substantial. I hope it gets stickied.

8. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

Eh, no worries. Once you learn one language its pretty easy to pick up the rest. I started on c++ and have now programmed in Python, Ruby, Java, Perl, Javascript, Lisp, and Eiffel. :fusrodah:

Skarn and SquarelyCircle like this.
  9. Skarn

By the way, this forum should probably have a modding section. >_>

It's not a big deal now, but the forum will end up swamped with threads once more details have been given and the Beta draws closer.

10. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

The forum will add new forums once the game comes out.

There's no point of adding forums if there is nothing to put in it!

11. Skarn

Well, not mods themselves of course, but there's plenty of discussion to go around.

Just saying, the sooner they do that, the less old threads get moved/lost. *shrug*

12. TheTacoPanda

TheTacoPanda Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks for the thread, I really appreciate when people do this. I'm already coming up with some ideas for mods. Definitely gonna watch this thread.

13. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Well, first you have to be good with people, then you have to know the community an- wait... That's not what you were talking about?

I actually didn't know we had this much information on modding in SB already. o_O

14. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

I heard discussion of Python being an option once. I don't know if they're still planning that? (I hope they are)

15. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

I'm going to mod myself a "Admin" hat! It won't do anything, maybe be burning in some way, like a TF2 Burning Unusual lol but make it impossible without cheats! Then add it to my server, and make the drop it makes nothing! So if I loose it somehow, no one can get it >:D MUHAHAHA *cough* *cough* haa....ha...

16. Jexel

Jexel Subatomic Cosmonaut

If you want to use python you could probably create a mod in lua where all the work is done in python.

17. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

From what I have seen so far it looks like you can use notepad to easily change values and such.

18. CookingApple

CookingApple Subatomic Cosmonaut

Looks like a Modding IDE could easily be made for Starbound. (If not the devs themselves has made one :V)
    I guess you could familiarize yourself with Lua already now by playing Minecraft with the Computercraft mod... Heck, even Garrys Mod works!
    Hope modding will be as far reaching as in Minecraft :).

19. Jexel

Jexel Subatomic Cosmonaut

You could probably create a mod that makes more mods.
    There should also be a modding sub forum.

20. zanthal

zanthal Existential Complex

Hmm, will modding be possible during beta?