1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed playtest relating to beta release

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Tarkus, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkhog

Darkhog Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yes, and they keep adding non-essential stuff like singing, speech bubbles, dungeons, etc. While they mostly now concentrate on gear as they should in first place, they lost much time on unnecessary stuff that could be added post release.

2. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

O
    Sunday projects. When their not working on starbound they work on starbound. Besides, with this kind of game it sort of hard to frame out what will take the most time to finish. The singing could have taken them two days while hotbars could have taken a whole months worth of reworks

Model QT-377665 likes this.
  3. Darkhog

Maybe, but they add dungeons on non-sunday basis. Why? One type of dungeon at release would be perfectly acceptable! Rest would come later.

It's called feature/scope creep, guys.

4. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

You say that, so you must have the list of features they have planned for release. Otherwise how do you know what has been planned to be added and what is feature creep?

WoxandWarf likes this.
  5. Darkhog

There is the roadmap. And they are adding things that aren't on it.

//edit: Here's a proof of adding non-essential things outside of sundays: http://playstarbound.com/5th-and-6th-september-progress/

What did they add? Why, some mech spider and vanity item of course! Things that could be added post-release.

6. Sledve

Sledve Astral Cartographer

Chill dude, they said the game should at least contain tiers 1-3. maybe its part of the content, dont want to miss any storypart, don't you?

7. Manly Caveman

Manly Caveman Void-Bound Voyager

World generation, as it is now, seems to be a huge part of why they don't want to release the game as it is currently. Changes to world generation invalidates saves, so a big part of getting things ready for a beta is getting the world generation to a point where they aren't deleting everyone's saves all the time (as they're doing now) as they make changes to the world generation algorithms.

Just having the game in a playable state is not enough for the beta to be released.

8. Darkhog

Well, they could do two things:
    - Write converter
    - Put up some map editor that would let users manually copy buildings, etc. into new version.

I don't think they're changing map format per se, but changes generation algorithms that makes weird results in old saves (like loading minecraft map from, say, 1.7.3 Beta in 1.8 Beta and going past generated terrain).

So either converter or editor that would users manually copy their things into new save would be enough.

9. Ryokozen

Ryokozen Orbital Explorer

Fact of the matter is they'll release when THEY are ready. Not when YOU demand. Just chill and do something else in the meantime.

10. Drone501

Drone501 Master Chief

when the beta is finally released everyone will be happy they waited, it'll be better to have a few tiers to play then getting it right now and only having 1 or 2

11. Xirk1984

Xirk1984 Master Chief

Everyone stop whining please. Talk about a first world problem haha. The devs got it under control. The fact is the game looks so amazing because of their work so let them finish. If you pre ordered you'll get an email and all of your problems will be solved. When that happens we can play and the devs can get back to work to make things even better. So zip it and be happy we have games this neat even in the making. And to the devs keep up the hard work, most of are are super pumped and can find other things to do in the meantime. Thanks!

12. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

i am pretty sure that the first few weeks of beta will not have anything like "Director mode", i remember the devs saying they wanted the first few weeks to be more of a learning and adventuring thing...i may be wrong though~ creating a map editor in game will definitely be feature creep. the stuff they added is part of the roadmap under the mob category, the vanity items are probably veerrryyy easy to put in....like...you just need an old armor code skeleton and the pixel art, i say ten maybe fifteen minutes.

13. Sledve

We all can suggest stuff, but its up to the devs. Their programm, their business. They know best about their stuff, ideas and concept. We'll all have to wait. As soon as its out, this was just a small annoyance.

Xirk1984 likes this.
  14. Pinkie Pie

Pinkie Pie Cosmic Narwhal

The spider-bot is a Unique NPC, which probably means it pertains to the story, non-essential my ass.
    So... you want them to take even MORE time by writing a conversion thingie? Logic.

15. Lachee

Lachee Existential Complex

16. Regal Kain

Regal Kain Space Kumquat

Spoken like a person who hasn't coded before. If you have, my sincerest apologies, but you don't act like it. Making a "converter" for a game this size might take them a very long time to add, more so then just finishing up Tier 3 and below to release a beta. A Map editor would also be a fairly large project as it'd have to cross-reference old versions and new versions. (And not just the previous build and the current build, they'd have to ensure the converter and the map editor work from the first public build, till the end, othewise people will bitch about that as well.)

Other then their initial snafus in 2012 about release dates, I've never really been in question as to when the game is going to be fully released. I personally feel as though the "full release" may not come until 2015 or later, because as the beta rolls out, there will be bugs found that they never thought could exsist, that's just the way coding and balancing works. (You go from a small group of 100 or so testers, to 1000 times that.) So every tier is going to add more content to the game, that could potentially break something found earlier, in an earlier tier. They'd have to go back to fix that bug before they can go forward, otherwise their end product looks like a roach motel. All I expect from Chucklefish is a beta before January 1 2014, and while yes I'd be annoyed if it was December 31st 11:59:59 it wouldn't last long as I downloaded the game and started making my character. It'd more be a "Wow epic troll guys, epic troll." then a "OMG I WANT MY MONEY BACK NAO" type of deal.

17. Darkhog

Yes, I've coded before. And converter is relatively simple to write.

Ingredients:
    Old LOAD routine
    New SAVE routine

Use:

Take old load routine, load old map into memory, then save it using new save routine. Converter done.

There may be few bugs here and there but they'll be easy to figure out (and my Unity game/toy/whatever, The Art of Tiles is an example of that - older version, first published one had different format than one that is on net now and newer one is seamlessly converting old maps).

I suppose I can live without that.

I don't expect full story in initial release. As I said, story/quests/etc. can be expanded later, for first time play sandbox/monster killing experience would be enough, even with some stuff locked like in i49 demo.

I might slipped with map editor, but converter as said above is relatively easy to write.

18. Sledve

I want to quote Hans from Jagged Alliance 2: "I had to put up with her crap every other day. Allways the same story, nothing but complains." He couldnt run his business because of his stressing costumers.

enemarius86 likes this.
  19. aeldivarvel

aeldivarvel Aquatic Astronaut

Ive tell to many friends about starbound some times ago, tell them how wonderfull this will be, and today they talk to me and say : "so, about starbound, do you play now ? The beta is out right ?"...
    Well, no, but its getting close, they sayd that it will be relased this year, i just have to be patient. Ive sayd..
    So my friends just laught at me, saying that i was scammed, that the dev have already report one time the relase date and they will do this again... blabla...
    It was just pissing me off, so with an irritated tone, ive explain to them that the game is realy amazing, and when they will relase the game, everybody will play it and enjoy it blabla..
    Then, they just say that : "Ok maybe, but even if the game is good, there will be a lot of new games at the end of this year, now its a good time to discover a new game, but after all they wait too long to relase her game, so we will not play your starbound, there is so much other cool games.. You will play this alone"
    Then they laught and have treated me forever alone :zzz:'
    So here we are, this long waiting make you loose players :/
    Your game dont have to be perfect for a bĂȘta, so pleaaase, relase it that i can shut the mouth of my friends !!! T_T

Darkhog likes this.
  20. Kazura

Kazura Void-Bound Voyager

Waiting for Starbound ... is hard :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.