1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

First Boss perfect Kill? (Spoiler Warning)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Greatblackshark, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Greatblackshark

Greatblackshark Cosmic Narwhal

Anyone think they can take down the first boss (Based on what we saw in the Yog stream) without taking any damage?

I'm thinking that building a low to the ground, flat top bunker with murder holes in the rooftop to allow you and your team to shoot straight up might provide enough cover from the big blue downward blast. The bunker itself would shield your team from the UFO ramming manoeuvres and the small UFO attacks.

However the Boss seemed to have been porting soldiers to the surface and what would seem like inside the yog team's um, make-shift base. So we'd also have to be wary of this.

At some point there was a tank, but it was on top of the base and probably wouldn't pose much threat with my 'death from below' style bunker.

What do you guys think? Does my bunker = 100% clean kill?

2. like00111

like00111 Zero Gravity Genie

Hopefully the bosses will be like in terraria (bosses go through blocks) so that this can be avoided to making bosses easy to kill.

3. SolidSnake

SolidSnake Existential Complex

as you said, penguins would port right into your base

4. Lyrel

Lyrel Void-Bound Voyager

I think your plan is a perfectly valid one, but I think the teleporting in of penguins could be avoided if maybe you boxed yourself in exept for above you. Leave a small hole in the roof and a hole above where your boxed in and it should solve that.

Greatblackshark likes this.
  5. Greatblackshark

Ahh well, I guess someone will have to be on 'sweeper' duty then and hopefully kill the infiltrators ASAP. This didn't seem like it happened too often though as most seemed to port on top of the base.

6. Greatblackshark

That's a pretty good idea, though it might heavily restrict our lateral movement and thereby extending the fight (time-wise), but I think it might be worth the trouble when going for a perfect kill.

Lyrel likes this.
  7. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

I am sure some one can figure out to beat any boss without taking damage.

Duke likes this.
  8. Sowaka

Sowaka Phantasmal Quasar

I'm hoping that bosses can destroy blocks better than what we've seen. The blue blasts and UFO smashes should be destroying at least two or three layers of dirt and one layer of wood/stone. Bazooka penguins should also have been destroying blocks. The player should not be able to just sit around in one spot the whole fight.

Anyhow, I'm sure that with the right projectile type you'd be able to box yourself in completely and fire at the boss at a weird angle to make it impossible for it to hit you at all.

Keithblu, Bith, DeadlyLuvdisc and 2 others like this.
  9. Metalsand

Metalsand Industrial Terraformer

Yeah, I would like if explosive weapons could destroy a dirt block or two, depending on weapon power and planet level. Harder planets should be tougher to destroy the terrain (perhaps due to higher gravity caused by the rarer (denser) materials inside?).

Really, i think the only guns that should be allowed to destroy blocks are:
    -Explosive weapons (so long as they aren't rapid fire)
    -High caliber weapons (Sniper rifle styled weapons, weapons similar to the heavy bolter of Warhammer 40k)
    -Primarily fire weapons, but only destroying wooden objects (such as flamethrowers, plasma weapons, etc)

10. Affero

Affero Contributor

I'm not too sure but I think that the boss can destroy blocks!

DeadlyLuvdisc and IndieGamerRid like this.
  11. Greatblackshark

I personally don't like the idea of bosses easily reducing a house/base to rubble with random gun fire. I'd much prefer something like a heat/freeze ray that would gradually raise/lower the temperature over a large area forcing you and your team to get out of the affected zone to warm-up/cool-off. Something like this would at least force players to work out tactical manoeuvres even on the fly. Not sure what visual effect they could use to represent an affected area, but I'm sure it could be done. Higher level bosses could use other deadly effects like radiation etc.

Rawrquaza, Axe Garian and Lyrel like this.
  12. Sowaka

Sowaka Phantasmal Quasar

Hold up, just thought of something. Go into an empty flat field, cover the ground with buzz saw traps. Go underground and completely bury yourself in dirt before the boss comes. VoilĂ ! Every time he stomps you he lands on twenty buzz saws and can't harm you at all.

13. Lyrel

Lyrel Void-Bound Voyager

That would be a really cool feature, sounds like it would be easy to work in to; editing a special effect like a poin cloud or something could get a similiar effect. Could also be used to add in radiation.

Axe Garian and Greatblackshark like this.
  14. warcore

warcore Existential Complex

lol so a group of sips sjin and Duncan tackle a boss they summoned by mistake and scream and run around randomly trying to kill it and they kill it ...... HAX!!! :geek:

Axe Garian likes this.
  15. Metalsand

Metalsand Industrial Terraformer

But that's one of the biggest flaws of games like this: nothing can break blocks. In terraria, it was silly, mobs could break through doors, but oh no, if there is a knee high wall of DIRT, then they are FUCKED.

Think about it though: if you made your house out of wood or dirt on an unknown alien planet, and suddenly use your house for cover while aliens are shooting ROCKET LAUNCHERS at you, then why the fuck SHOULD your thin wall of dirt protect you 100%? In games like this, there is never any reason to build hardened bunkers while exploring, because a thin meter or less of dirt walling makes you nearly invincible, and that's just silly.

16. Greatblackshark

Makes me wonder how much damage such a trap would do to a UFO, might take a while but it might just work ;)

17. Lyrel

Lyrel Void-Bound Voyager

Its possible they already plan to add that but havent put it in yet though

serephetti and Axe Garian like this.
  18. Greatblackshark

They did have some um.. 'Divine' help there though :unsure:

warcore, Axe Garian and Lyrel like this.
  19. Greatblackshark

I see your point, but then all the boss battles would work to be just a bunch of guys standing in a huge open field, trying not to die while doing as much damage as possible. I guess in a way this could be done well enough to be entertaining at least.

Actually, some amount of block damage wouldn't be so bad. It could work out to be something like a FTL style scramble to fix broken parts of the base during battles. I actually like this idea as long as the boss couldn't reduce your nicely built structure to rubble in seconds.

warcore and Axe Garian like this.
  20. Sowaka

Sowaka Phantasmal Quasar

Perhaps a pain field or stream of acid would work as well? I like the idea, but not on every boss.

Also, I like the idea of destructible bases. The devs want planets to be disposable. Also, it would give you a drive to get higher quality block types, we already know that different blocks have different "health pools," so it would be a good incentive to get high health blocks to reinforce your base for a boss fight, rather than just spending two minutes mining dirt and then building the perfect base within ten minutes of game time for a boss fight. Also, I don't want bosses to outright destroy blocks, but they should "dislodge" them and require them to be picked up and placed again.