1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Curious question of curiosities

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Vesps, Aug 28, 2013.

?

Should pre-order members be given a copy of the I49 stage demo?

1. Yes

49.3%
  2. No

46.4%
  3. Other (Comment)

4.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vesps

Vesps Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Amazing what thread titles I can come up with after waking up.

Anyway, Just a question regarding the pre-beta demonstration that was shown at I49, and that is this:

What are the chances for pre-order members to receive a version of the stage demo that was shown/played by the public at I49?

I ask this for the reason that, if it's publicly playable (To a degree), surely the people who have pre-ordered and couldn't make it to the I-Series should also get a chance to see where the game is for themselves. As much as the roadmap and daily updates tell us, I feel a first hand look would allow players to gauge how much is done and how much is left to be done.

Just curious question, not really looking for a heated debate on this, thanks :B

Pingeh likes this.
  2. LightHoof

LightHoof Pangalactic Porcupine

Still , you most likely will get one here.
    I personaly think that devs should not divert their time to such a cause. It has no use for the game development process, unlike the beta.

3. cwolf042

cwolf042 Pangalactic Porcupine

According to the roadmap, the devs are devoting their time to eating cake and working on 90% complete item work rather than core features (I assume that the avatars on the various locations indicate the people working on the individual projects).

Releasing the same demo at I49 via the internet requires no extra work, just a written disclaimer saying "The system requirements for this demo are "X" (The same as the machine it was run on) If you do not have this setup it probably won't run

They won't do that though because spoilers... which I've already stated is a very flimsy reasoning

People who buy full released games complain about their system not being able to handle it and it isn't the dev's fault. Wouldn't be in this case either because people should understand what they are downloading. not just assume it's the full working product.

RedDire and Pingeh like this.
  4. LightHoof

Have you seen what happened on the forum when just 3 people apart from devs played the game, while others are still unable to do this? I mean, things like threads exploding to 80 pages in a day.
    Now, imagine three fourths of the forum won't be able to run demo. The shitstom scale would be unbelievable. Not many people will bother themselves with reading those requirements.

5. cwolf042

Yes, and then the community could go "Your fault for not reading the post and requirements, not the devs for releasing a playable item.

The big contention isn't that people could or could not play it, its that the majority of people were not GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY.

Even if I couldn't play the game for whatever reason on my end, the fact that Tiy and his crew gave me a chance to do so would be a nod of respect in my way.

It's like offering your friend you know doesn't drink beer (or can't drink alcohol for medical reasons) a beer anyway because he is a guest you invited over and that is the polite thing to do.

RedDire and Pingeh like this.
  6. LightHoof

Hell they were. Demo on the i49 was publicaly available and some of the forum dwellers have even played it.

7. cwolf042

A demo halfway across the world does not afford everyone an equal opportunity to do something.

Pingeh likes this.
  8. Iterum

Iterum Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Probably won't happen, but I'd personally love to try the demo from i49. Terraria just doesn't do it for me anymore I'm afraid. I suppose in an ideal world, if it were to happen, the only reason why I could see it happening would be to test if they can handle a sudden wave of downloads lol.

Pingeh and cwolf042 like this.
  9. Emral282

Emral282 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There is a significant difference between a controlled environment on computers in possession of the devs and a fairly public download. It doesn't matter what is logical or rational, if that build is released there WILL be a tremendous shitstorm causing permanent and significant damage to starbound's reputation. It will also push the release of the beta backwards because the devs will have to spend more time on making that build work more because if they ignore it the shitstorm would only get worse.

Also the devs have directly stated that they aren't releasing that build anyways so this conversation is moot.

MC Pennybags and Dust like this.
  10. cwolf042

Any action on the part of any dev can and will cause this somewhere or another on the web. Inevitable point that even when the game is fully released there will be people who hate monger it or cause internet drama and said "shitstorms" about it.

As for reputation, anything that is said or done can hurt or benefit the reputation of the game and devs at this point, just depends on which opinion the reader or person on the receiving end of the action holds.
    [​IMG]

11. LightHoof

Even if it is not equal it still exists. Anything above that is

12. Emral282

Emral282 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thing is, most of those things are relatively minor. That alpha build is optimized for a very certain configuration and only a minority of people here will be able to play it. To take that 75% figure earlier in the thread: if 75% of people were not able to play that alpha, a very large majority of those people will complain. And if those who can play respond with
    things would only get worse. 75% of this community is pretty significant. It's pretty likely that there would be a LOT of refunds following the release of that build, both from people who are seeing others in the community get to play while they don't and those who get to play and find all the bugs in the game to be too annoying to handle.

If you were in the majority of the players who did not get to play, would you honestly be OK with that? You're already complaining that others played it at I49 after all.

Edit: Also the devs have flat out said that they are not going to be releasing that build period. There is honestly no point to this argument.

13. LightHoof

And everyone, please, do not make your posts look like you are ok with majority of the people not being able to play in case if you are.

14. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

And having a specific system required for play isn't exactly equal oppotunity either... I mean the hardware they built the game for was probably topline alienware wasn't it? I don't think many people can afford a new alienware desktop.

15. mrCheetah

mrCheetah Big Damn Hero

Who would vote no lol? The devs should play it like minecraft and include people in everything from pre-alpha to full game.

Pingeh likes this.
  16. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

I do believe a big reason why the demo isn't being given out to anyone is because it currently had the *full* game in it's current stage, and even though the demo is locked to a specific world, as has been mentioned before: once the code was out, data miners would go crazy and unlock everything fast.

Emral282 likes this.
  17. Combat Me Bro

Combat Me Bro Void-Bound Voyager

I posted this elsewhere, but I'll just copy and paste it over here...

This is not something anyone should have access to without close developer supervision.
    It simply isn't finished enough for a even a beta, and may be vulnerable to exploits.

18. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

This is the best way to put the situation I have seen until now. And the dev choose damned if you dont. Now we just hope that those who voted for the other door finaly calm down (as if ever) and not try to tear the whole place appart.

Still, I'm pretty confident that making some of the people who already know about the game sligtly mad is better than making everyone who'll ever know about the game read and ear bad reviews about a alpha/beta/demo/whathaveyou that was simply not meant for open public.

19. LegitNoob

LegitNoob Space Penguin Leader

I don't think that would be a good idea, would sort of spoil the excitement of the actual release (for me at least).

Deathend likes this.
  20. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

Other as in apathetic.

I don't necessarily think so, they said they disabled some stuff, cause spoilers.

I want to say yes, but I don't think it's the right thing to do at this moment in time.
    And to be quite frank, I slightly dislike playing games that are really incomplete and they launch few updates here and there build it as time goes on (cough -insert game here- cough)
    I would like a complete meal rather than each order coming by after I've finished the first plate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.