1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Was the Starbound in Pre-Alpha comment for real?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bacon, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exi1e

Exi1e Zero Gravity Genie

100% correct

Donseluke, DevonDe, RazoR2K and 2 others like this.
  2. braulio1984

braulio1984 Astral Cartographer

At this point, my level of hype is decreasing more and more and more... :notworthy:

3. Estimates are never 100% accurate, or a guarantee that will happen, just like the weather reports. For example you can't in the case demand a refund, if the Estimate 2013 isn't accomplished since when you did buy was there one estimate, that can change any time. For me estimates are a "Maybe" to something and not a Yes.

4. OzzytheFist

OzzytheFist Big Damn Hero

The less you think about it, the happier you're going to be. The game is in a playable state, but not a state the the developers want you to have access to it yet.

5. Fireb4llz

Fireb4llz Aquatic Astronaut

They said is that all they know is that it's not beta yet in the chat section of their stream an hour or two ago.

6. T-Bone Biggins

T-Bone Biggins Phantasmal Quasar

The back-pedaling aside, you forgot to read the part I underlined in the other post. Try to hold them to that 'estimate' so they will at least try to hit that release. Even those with the best intentions can get lackadaisical without pressure to do well.

EDIT: ok just google lackadaisical, my family used that word plenty since I was little but I remember everyone asking me what it meant when I used it. I assume it to be an uncommon word but it's common to me.

Sousuke Kuroda likes this.
  7. LightHoof

LightHoof Pangalactic Porcupine

Estimated Time of Arrival - what is not clear in the word ESTIMATED? And why should it be called a promise?

8. T-Bone Biggins

What is not clear in the definition I gave earlier? Not trying to flame but this post is making it hard.

Sousuke Kuroda likes this.
  9. ZanVaelius

ZanVaelius Existential Complex

Actually video game ads in Poland have this tiny fine print that says that due to the complex nature of video games any information in the ad is subject to change, including the release date.

10. LightHoof

LightHoof Pangalactic Porcupine

This part. Where did you found a definition of estimation being equal to a promise?

11. And they TRY, they still aim for it, but it doesn't change the fact it's being more unlikely as the time passes, but still possible. In gaming development, it's never certain, not even full release dates of AAA titles got accomplished and are delayed in last-minute, what is much worse than fail a estimate (cough cough... many EA games... cough cough...).
    Things as just happened with Microsoft delaying Xbox One for 2014 in many countries (after promise this year for who did pre-order)...

Seeing that, i prefer estimates that may end up wrong, than official dates that are delayed at the last minute, so people get aware that, it can change. That's why they will only announce it when certain of it, so no 2012 Dejavu. Doing that is actually thinking in all the community you did already pre-order this game.

12. ZanVaelius

To quote a great philosopher "Sh*t happens". And let's face it: Who here has not missed a deadline at least once or made a promise they could not keep despite their best intentions?
    I, for one, don't mind waiting for the game to come out.

13. OzzytheFist

I think the actual philosophy is Murphy's Law :p

14. T-Bone Biggins

I am going to suggest everyone rectally take a chill-pill so it works faster. If someone has to respond to a 2-3 sentence post with 2 paragraphs then I'm just going to duck out with grace. Some people just love playing with lots of words to make their point and despise anything simply stated no matter what the message. Respect to all in this discussion, I'm having a good day and want it to stay like that after I click the 'log off' button.

15. I'll keep this short, no need for some essays in here.
    As long as the beta comes out this year I'll be happy.

Shippo likes this.
  16. NoxiousRaven

NoxiousRaven Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Depends on their definition of alpha, beta or release... alpha is usually a state where they are still adding features. Beta is usually the major bug fixing effort.

17. LeonLandford

LeonLandford 2.7182818284590...

From what i saw, by her reaction (Molly), she was the one telling the truth. Bartwe came in just for the sake of "BETA SHALL NEVER BE MENTIONED". The Reason why they took a little while to respond is because PR. Imagine the uproar, if they have a "Beta Worthy" Build right now, and is not released to the backers. IMAGINE THAT. Anyway, thats my two cents. I must be (probably am) tottaly wrong. Cheers.

18. OzzytheFist

I imagined that, and am (understandably) a bit perturbed by the idea.

Sousuke Kuroda and LeonLandford like this.
  19. ZanVaelius

The Truth is out there...

Thus began the i49 conspiracy theories :p

Funnies aside: That's actually a sensible theory. It would make sense for the devs to hold back the full extent of the information so that they are not fully pressured by the people for a release. That way they can hammer out the more obnoxious bugs :rofl: Still what will be, will be :p

20. Actually i'm not English so i always avoid paragraphs of text since it's likely i write a grammar madness text. :rofl:

Sir, if that is true then bartwe creating a big conspiracy to not release the beta! :rofl:
    The word beta can't be mentioned, it isn't already and people get mad, so... But the Pre-Alpha only made it worse, it could said "what you talking about? It's already out!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.