1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I hate the Apex

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sousuke Kuroda, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coramnis

Coramnis Industrial Terraformer

I think you're wrong about that and I hate you for it

Jerk.

2. Mercury Gilado

Mercury Gilado Existential Complex

I think everybody who thinks they're funny thought that exact same comment as soon as they saw his post. Me included. I didn't actually say, it, though, because it's too easy. And then you'll respond, reiterating the point; and AGAIN, everybody who thinks they're funny would also have thought of it.

Jerky.

Serenity and Coramnis like this.
  3. Coramnis

For posterity's sake here's my original response to this: "Are there any other fundamental flaws in my personality or sense of humor you'd like to point out?"

Here's my new response: Ouch :(

Also, I apologize for the grievous offenses of making the obvious joke and thinking I'm funny

4. Breakout

Breakout Big Damn Hero

Someone put a wooden stake in this thread!

5. Mercury Gilado

Nah, I wasn't being totally serious. This thread is kind of a joke, too. To be fair, that joke is actually pretty good, so that's why I said everyone thought of it. Well, everyone who wants to be funny. I'm sure some got a kick out of it. I did too, actually. But it's predictable, and by demonstrating that, I didn't mean it to be taken as a personal attack. So I'm sorry for that.

Coramnis likes this.
  6. Coramnis

Heh, it's cool dude, I can't say I was too bothered. If I tied my self worth to what people on the internet thought of dumb jokes I make then I would have become a reclusive hermit years ago.

And yeah, this thread has gotten pretty ridiculous by now.

7. Mercury Gilado

Yeah, even the OP has abandoned it. I heard some bad things about General Discussion, and this thread seems to be Exhibit A. But we are shining the light here: I apologized, and you accepted it. Maybe there's always a flicker of light in the darkness...

No, scratch that. That's kind of schmaltzy.

8. DrunkenHadozee

DrunkenHadozee Void-Bound Voyager

Of course. It's in their very name! They are the Apex, and therefore above all the other races!

Mind you, I am a little biased (I wonder why?...)

MEWMEW likes this.
  9. Mercury Gilado

It seems like everyone who is going to play Apex is dead serious about it. They have the gorilla icons, the ego, and the facial hair. I wish there was a race of space bees for me to be militant over.

10. Coramnis

Aw, that was sweet.

Also
    That is the first time I have heard that word EVER

And now I will always think of you, Mercgilado, as my flicker of light on the Starbound forums.

11. Mercury Gilado

Funny, I think of Jay Leno when I hear it, because of the Fairly Odd Parents. I'm gonna sig this, too!

Coramnis likes this.
  12. PongoBorneo

PongoBorneo Star Wrangler

I might make a Counter thread called
    Why I love the Apex

Why are people keeping this racist thread alive?
    Let it die

MEWMEW and Mercury Gilado like this.
  13. NotFarlong

NotFarlong Void-Bound Voyager

Trading intellectual evolution for physical drawbacks is an archetype in many stories. "Anton's key" in the Ender's Game series has similar effects and in plenty of other universes there are other "trades" made for intelligence. It's not about science, it's about story-telling.

Coramnis likes this.
  14. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

But mines a turtle ;_;

15. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

Oh? What gave you the impression I was angry? (Honest question, I didn't realize my posts came across as rageful)

But in response to your post on Wednesday (I didn't get to it because I was slapped with a one month ban xD)

They do, generally phrasing it with "Lighten up". I was hoping to point out I was aware of my pessimism so as to avoid comments on the subject because it irritates me.

Yeah I never claimed that it wasn't.

I've had this question asked of me several times throughout the thread. I don't blame you for neglecting to read through all 17 pages, I made the thread to discuss the dislike and the faulty science behind the backstory. Which should be fairly self explanatory really.

Ah this is a bit of a false comparison. Spaceships COULD work as depicted in Starbound (unless they claim genuine speed exceeding light speed rather than warp speed, warp speed is generally referred to as FTL) evolution however is an established mechanism which functions in a very predictable fashion. No one argues about spaceships because we don't yet have the technology or understanding to make any claims about their function (apart from the occasional detail such as being incapable of exceeding light speed). The same cannot be said about evolution.

That is a good point and I'd be interested to see if that is indeed the reason behind it. However given the description of the Apex as science and exploration driven its pretty unlikely.

Ok?

DevonDe likes this.
  16. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

locked on op's request

DevonDe and Jonesy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.