31st July Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Kingobsidion

Kingobsidion Star Wrangler

SOOOOOOOO EXCIIIIIITTEEEEED!!!!!

tassina and ripclaw123 like this.
  2. Rueya

Rueya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Congratulations on the NPC milestone, Team Chucklefish and co. You guys are doing such a superb job with these updates! I really like how the durability system now gives players more incentive to survey the landscape beforehand to find ulterior routes rather than just digging neck-deep into a shortcut.

3. XDarkPhoenixX

XDarkPhoenixX Pangalactic Porcupine

It is probably a continuation of the mini-biome work. Mini-biomes have been mentioned a lot in the last few updates
    Maybe forgot to add mini to the beginning?

But from what I remember mini-biomes related to things like: unique caves, unique rock formations, glaciers, unique structures (I.e igloo -maybe). Its likely that there is more to it than that. But Tiy is not into spoilers, so we get only 'more has been added' , 'One is my favorite' - not what they are or what they look like.

If Tiy did mean large biomes, then I wish to know as well. :geek:

4. LFPO8k

LFPO8k Subatomic Cosmonaut

beta... keywords...

5. magnus_vir

magnus_vir Aquatic Astronaut

I had an idea for durability; have it so rank 1 mining things can mine rank 1 and 2 easy, but 3 makes it dull and dull can only mine rank 1. rank 2 could mine 1,2, and 3 4 would could be mined but would make rank 2 dull and only mine rank 1 and 2. same pattern were 3 could get 1,2,3,4 and 5, 5 makes it dull to only mine 1,2, and 3. 4 = 1,2,3,4,5 easy 6 would dull. and so forth

edit: dull could only mine its own rank and lower while sharp could mine 1 higher rank easily and the 2nd higher rank but it dulls the tool

MikeZero0 likes this.
  6. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

I think it's a matter of preference man, plenty of games pull it off no problem. I don't see how it caused such a stir in first place, things break, things get repaired, it's a constant in the world of manufacturing and it is almost strange that people scream for certain levels of realism in games only to object when that realism results in a downside rather than a benefit.

I wouldn't find it annoying at all since it would be a constant I was aware of and would actively set aside materials for future repairs.

blob, CJx101, riseoflegends and 5 others like this.
  7. Renlou

Renlou Industrial Terraformer

8. Cloudhopper

Cloudhopper Weight of the Sky

yay durability implement! good approach as well, compromises pro-durability fans and against-durability.

9. SnakeX

SnakeX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Damn, you guys are really powering through stuff now! Impressive!

As for durability: I like it, as it will add an extra layer of depth to mining and as well as giving ore some more use. Depth and variety is never a bad thing!

10. thetokenshadow

thetokenshadow Big Damn Hero

Boss checklist:
    [ ] Drop loot
    [ ] AI Behavior
    [ ] Graphics
    [X] Do things

Gotta start somewhere, right?

blob and ripclaw123 like this.
  11. ddonohu2

ddonohu2 Title Not Found

So how hard will it be to travel back and forth from the ship? Because I foresee a lot of people just doing that.

ripclaw123 and Krono like this.
  12. Thedot44

Thedot44 Master Chief

I sniff beta incoming sometime this week and or mid August!

So Excited :)

Also network improvement.. you know what that means ;)

tassina likes this.
  13. Arxe the Bard

Arxe the Bard Scruffy Nerf-Herder

while I like the progress the starbound team is making, minecraft is already complete while starbound is still in development. especially in this phase, where they have the pressure of completing the project in a timely matter. mojang designed minecraft withmuch less initial support as he never made a kickstarter event for it, but id imagine he was in the same boat chuckle fish is in now. especially this late into the game dev process. updates are different entirely, since the game is done devs are now just cautious about adding silly updates while also focusing on different games in development.

I love both series, mind you. just some food for thought

14. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

Durability? Nice!

15. ripclaw123

ripclaw123 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm hoping that Starbound is released about midway through this August, because they will be allowing people to have the chance to "test-play" at Insomnia49 on the 20th, I believe.

16. Akairito

Akairito Void-Bound Voyager

Wow i'm late! Like the update =w=. I like aallllllll the updates, you guys do fantastic work. (If im sayin' this now, imagine what i'll say when i play it :iswydt:)

17. Starfinder

Starfinder Big Damn Hero

Wow, Very nice :D!
    Tiy, you're simply the most amazing devoloper i've ever seen!

tassina, Cloudhopper and ripclaw123 like this.
  18. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Durability? Meaningless.
    The whole point of digging down is to get to lower harder to reach and more rewarding levels more then once, conveniently. A straight line will always be the shortest path.
    Your trying to discourage hellevators, but if there is something more rewarding further down, hellevators will remain. Even if the tools broke people would still dig straight down.

So, your whole reasoning behind it Tiy is still in my opinion awful. People who want to explore will explore, people who want to rush will rush.

blob likes this.
  19. Cloudhopper

Cloudhopper Weight of the Sky

the Durability system doesn't break tools, it just reduces the speed/quality of the mining done after reaching 0 durability.

20. XDarkPhoenixX

XDarkPhoenixX Pangalactic Porcupine

With regards to durability... Starbound is also a survial game right? You start out with nothing and try to survive. Durability in everything just makes sense to me. But things breaking is unrealistic for most items (I know current Durability doesn't break items).

So...
    -Mining tools should lose effectiveness I.e a pick that could go through iron can now only go through dirt until fixed etc.. ,
    -Wooden items should break,
    -Blades should dull - lose damage,
    -Guns should get dirty - lose a little damage-acuracy,
    -Crap/cheap guns should misfire,
    -Bow strings should need replacing - lose damage-speed,
    -Food should age/rot - become poisonous,
    -Crops should wither/die,
    -Energy/batteries should run dry (Item energy),
    -Fuel should run out/used up,
    -Vehicles should need maintenance. I.e grease (Another use for the new tar?)

Of course an end game sword of adamantium or whatever would have like lifetime durability.
    But a shitty twig sword or a makeshift bow should break easily etc...

This isn't just some build game. Exploration, quests, survival etc.. Durability for everything/most non-placeable items will help the game, not hinder.

My opinion :geek:

Edit: People mentioned adding this as a harder/more realistic game mode. This + hunger you can't turn off would be good for a harder game mode for people more experienced. Or just make it an option if a game mode makes issues in multiplayer.

Edit 2: If you like this Vote up please :) - http://playstarbound.com/suggestions/?p=view&id=8224