1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Access Violation at adress 00000000. Read of adress 00000000 when starting the game since I bought i

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rongar, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Rongar

Rongar Space Spelunker

Titles explains it, using windows 8.

Is there anything I can do to correct that or have I just wasted 25$ worth of money?

• Dennis

Dennis Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm having the same problem since 0.30.3.0, I fixed by removing sin-bass.dll from the game folder. I got another error that I need to ignore ~50 times and the sound is gone, but it works.

• Rongar

Rongar Space Spelunker

Does not work, it just spam me with a new error message instead:

for object oInit:

Error defining an external function.
        Thanks for the try tho

• Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Well, Windows 8 might be the problem, have you tried running it with compatiability options set?

• Dennis

Dennis Subatomic Cosmonaut

That was the second error I talked about. If you ignore it about 50 times, it goes away and the game starts.

• Fatalerror66

Fatalerror66 Space Hobo

I would say that would be the case but i run windows 7x64 bit and it still gives me this error

for object oInit:

Error defining an external function.

just like the above post i could spam ignore, but then i loose all sound. Which is kinda retarded.

• Joshua Reber

Joshua Reber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just stating this before people getting more upset, I have had this error countless times, try running it in windows 7 or windows XP compatibility mode :3

• Fatalerror66

Fatalerror66 Space Hobo

I understand that, and respect it.

I don't know about the other people but I have tried the following:
                  I am running windows 7
                  have tried windows XP compatibility mode
                  running it as an admin
                  updated my sound drivers
                  Followed the read me instructions
                  I even re-downloaded the game and installed it to a different drive
                  Sadly none of the above worked for me

I know I could ignore the bug, by hitting ignore 20+ times. Though I lose sound and that just is not fun to play without it

• Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

If you have a hard drive with multiple partitions or multiple hard drives:
                    If you have the game installed on the same hard drive/partition as your OS. Move the game onto another hard drive/partition.

If you only have a single hard drive/partition:
                    Put the game on a flash drive or external hard drive and run it off of that.

This worked in Windows 7 64-bit. From what I've heard, the version of gamemaker (or all versions?) the devs are using doesn't support Windows 8. So, I'm not sure if these will work in that case. No reason not to try, right?

• Rongar

Rongar Space Spelunker

Worked like a charm. Currently enjoyng the game with a friend, thank you very much!

• Syzygy

Syzygy Big Damn Hero

I've tried all of this and nothing is working. Runing Windows 8 64-bit. Any news on a patch to fix these issues?

• NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

fixed this issue on another thread please standby while i copy and paste my solution for you peeps
                          EDIT:
                          and yes this also exists on windows XP

also tell me if this doesn't fix it for ya il try and find another way (also for win8 users ALWAYS run this in compatibility for windows 7)(ALWAYS)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
                          • generalwu

generalwu Space Hobo

Where exactly do I type in that Steam_GM.dll. I tried to open with notepad. It shows all these weird characters. There are thousands of them. Do you have a better alternative solution? I'm running Windows 7 64bit.

• NightFire

WOWOWOWOWOWO SLOW DOWN MAEN
                              you're not opening/editing NOTHING

all you're doing is repairing a redist you're not opening anything (that was MY error specifically. You don't need to pay attention to that just pay attention on how to run/ repair the redist inside the game)
                              "
                              Solution: Navigate to the Risk of Rain folder inside your steam folder (Program Files(programs x64 for windows 7 i think)>Steam>SteamApps>Common>Risk of Rain
                              than go to the _CommonRedist folder THAN vcredist folder
                              Now this is where it gets simple

go to both 2008 and 2010 folders and run the vcredist_x64 (vcredist_x86 if you use windows XP like me) then just set it to repair (or install if you haven't... which would be pretty odd) and restart your computer"

thats all you're doing

also this "Program Files(programs x64 for windows 7 i think)>Steam>SteamApps>Common>Risk of Rain"
                              thats how you navigate to what i am talking about you don't need to search anything just open windows explorer

if i can i can TRY and make a video because i do have to admit it CAN sound kind of confusing
                              and if i can't il put it into picture form

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
                              • generalwu

generalwu Space Hobo

I followed your directions. It's still not working.

• NightFire

you ran both? the vcredist from 2008 and 2010 folders? and set it to repair then restarted your pc?

if so then this just might be a windows XP fix not a windows 8/7 fix... i guess 32 bit has a advantage on this one

• generalwu

generalwu Space Hobo

Yeah. I ran both and restarted. When I open the game it says, "Error: Failed to initialize D3DX." Also, running as admin will show that access violation thing. lol.
                                    I hope they get a windows 7 and 8 fix soon. I even ran the compatibility mode - Windows XP SP3, and it didn't work.

• Syzygy

Syzygy Big Damn Hero

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS GAME

How is it the Beta was working better than the actual release? Did Steam bork something along the way?

• NightFire

Yea steam is having a issue with one of there files most likely that's probably why beta is working better

• Syzygy

Syzygy Big Damn Hero

Well, the game was patched again today. Now I don't even get that access violation error, I just get a black screen after the initial loading icon that causes my disk usage to spike to 100%.

|:I

Guh.