1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Reverse-engineering The Glitch

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by El Barto 227, Jul 15, 2013.

1. CubeX

CubeX Void-Bound Voyager

Fascinating... Please do keep doing these!

2. Hallowfell

Hallowfell Phantasmal Quasar

Yes! The outcast Glitch are stated to be unlimited, fully aware of themselves and of the advanced knowledge stored within them. They could be any kind of A.I. personality, from Wheatley, Lobsang, and Cortana-esque to HAL 9000, Red Queen, and Skynet.

3. WackyWocky

WackyWocky Pangalactic Porcupine

Honestly, that was a good read, and it got me thinking:

Seeing as the Glitch most likely eat (It's a huge feature in Starbound, and it would make little sense to deprive those playing the Glitch from utilizing it), the Glitch must have some preferences in food. You already went into the fact that they probably break down the food into various substances and energies. Now it would make sense for them to eat foods that reflect their dietary needs, such as metals and oil. So one can think they probably eat a lot of meat, fish, etc. which is high in metals and oil (Joint Lubricant, etc.). These kinds of food also coincide well with what was usually eaten in the middle ages. Alcohol (Ale) would also, as you said, work well in providing energy.

TL : DR
    They probably eat meat, lots of meat.

Xefs, Menasor, riseoflegends and 2 others like this.
  4. Hallowfell

Hallowfell Phantasmal Quasar

I believe I read that, game-mechanic wise, hunger is a toggle option. So anyone can chose to utilize it or not.

EDIT: It occurs to me that since players are the Outcast Glitch, they could just design whatever kind of body they want; One that needs to eat or one that doesn't.

kelko585 likes this.
  5. kelko585

kelko585 Subatomic Cosmonaut

if player would have ability to do this they would have ability to add some lazors and missiles and sh*t to hands or shoulders (of course with some resources)

6. WackyWocky

"Welcome back to Glitch - A Documentary! Here we're about to witness the birth of a Glitch. T'is a beautiful event, once in a lifetime. The two loving parents carefully plan the child's arrival. Let us get a closer look."

*Camera zooms in*

"Okay Honey, do you want four lazors and two missile launchers or would you prefer if we just had flamethrowers?"

Menasor, Hallowfell and kelko585 like this.
  7. kelko585

imagine glitch baby sohp : DIY your own baby! pick your own parts or spin the roulette for random baby!

WackyWocky likes this.
  8. WackyWocky

So basically, giving birth is just a quick trip through the character creator...

Xefs likes this.
  9. kelko585

someone should suggest this all

10. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't think this is necessarily the case. A brain composed entirely of antimatter shouldn't behave any differently than a matter counterpart -- to my knowledge -- and has the obvious explosive drawback. I suspect the brain would actually rely on positron-electron collisions (like a PET scan) to in some way mimic the firing of neurons.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BehrInMind and Clad in Plaid like this.
  11. El Barto 227

El Barto 227 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pretty much just the non-'evolved' Glitch.

Most of this stuff won't play out in-game (such as their metal casings providing protection from swords and stuff), but I thought a lore-based analysis would be interesting

12. El Barto 227

That could well be possible, (although a way to contain the gamma rays produced by positron-electron collisions might be needed, to prevent them from irradiatiting their crops etc) but how will the brain send singals to the body? a weak wireless transmitter could work, but may be unreliable and cut down their reaction time a bit.

13. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well, why not just use wires instead of positron collisions? Electricity transmit signals pretty well in our world.

14. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Woo, another very interesting read :DD! I swear, this science stuff just makes my day. Bravo to you, sir! :up:

15. M-Bot 3000

M-Bot 3000 Zero Gravity Genie

Statement: systems have acknowledged the heartless murder and dissecting of one of my kind. Your hostility has been noted, "El Barto 227".

To the meatbags speculating about our systems: I shall tell you NOTHING! The secrets of our quantum processing systems shall remain a closely guarded secret!

BehrInMind and Hallowfell like this.
  16. El Barto 227

Actually, i'm just a Human intern who stole an Apex's notes.

Menasor and Hallowfell like this.
  17. Spike

Spike Supernova

Wait, I thought you are a Floran.

18. El Barto 227

Ssh! I'm in disguise because the Apex won't trust a Floran, even though I'm not planning to eat anyone.

19. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well ok then. Let me just get out my own disguise and-

[​IMG]

Hallowfell likes this.
  20. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

Vulnerability to strong magnetic fields? Energy requirements? Short circuits? Complexity issues with making complete circuits?

There's also the possibility of some kind of organic network with chemical reactions.