Zero Gravity in Asteroid Fields (and other changes)

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Lecic, Apr 10, 2014.

1. S.A.A.

S.A.A. Subatomic Cosmonaut

To add on to your idea, it would be cool to have the asteroids move at different speeds. Due to inertia, once you latch onto an asteroid, you shouldn't have much trouble maneuvering on it. However the difficulty of moving from one asteroid to another would be based on the relative speeds of the asteroids. This combined with using explosives and other forms of force to manipulate the asteroids' velocity would add a whole new dynamic to asteroid biome and would really spice things up.

Edit: While there should be no fall damage as there is no gravity, the danger would be from hitting an asteroid from a high enough relativistic speed. For example, you shouldn't have much trouble if you going at 100m/s hit an asteroid going 105 m/s, but if you're moving at 50 m/s and you hit an asteroid moving at 10 m/s, you're out of luck. So, if you want to latch onto an asteroid moving at a drastically different speed, you need to use force of any kind to manipulate your velocity or you can hit the asteroid at an angle, and have friction from contact slowly adjust your speed. As cool as this is, I feel like this might be a pain to code.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  2. Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

That would slightly destroy my asteroid colony hehe : P

Though I wouldn't have problems moving to a moon.. if only there would be some without meteor showers :/

S.A.A. likes this.
  3. S.A.A.

If I recall correctly, somebody suggested shields for projectiles like asteroids. If those are also implemented, your colonies will be saved, and your moon bases would be protected.

Faeryheart likes this.
  4. Kamuly

Kamuly Void-Bound Voyager

ey, thx Joseph!!!!

5. S.A.A.

You're welcome.

Kamuly likes this.
  6. S.A.A.

Wake up John... It hasn't been four years, but some extra exposure for the future wouldn't help... which will soon become the present and then past. :(

7. Centonux

Centonux Space Hobo

Personally, spears with the rocket spear special ability is something I already use for asteroid fields, so if they had 0G, I would still use those.

S.A.A. likes this.
  8. BigBlueFish

BigBlueFish Void-Bound Voyager

:yoda: Add this you will

S.A.A. likes this.