Zero Gravity in Asteroid Fields (and other changes)

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Lecic, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I think that Asteroid Fields need a serious rework.

First off, Asteroid Fields should have 0g. To get around, you'd either need to use a Mech or a movement tech. Movement techs' reasons are obvious, but for mechs, we can say they have spikes in the legs or something that dig into the asteroid. A configurable artificial gravity generator could be found in the asteroid field stations, and probably craftable as well. Asteroid fields should also lack friction in the air, or space, in this case.. You move a direction at a speed, and you keep moving that direction and speed until you hit something, or boost in the opposite direction to slow down.

Next, the monsters. Asteroid Fields should not have winged or walking creatures in them. I propose three creature types for asteroids fields.
    • Fish-like or Avian-like (not the race, and lacking wings), and moving through some kind of organic propulsion, like a bubble or gas jet.
    • Creatures similar to the bitters in jungles from Terraria. A base connected to the rock, a mouth, and a stalk. They shouldn't be able to move through walls like those from Terraria, but instead be able to bend around blocks in their way. These should have high health and fast movement speed, to make up for their inability to move from their rooted spot.
    • Abandoned, automated drones. Flying, like the first creature. Perhaps also hostile turrets.
    I also think that camp fires, torches, and other oxygen-requiring lighting and heating should not work in outer space. Nanostoves for heat, and cheap lights or other non-flame based lighting should be needed in a place with no air.

Finally, a working oxygen system for stations should be added.

2. Jety Lefr

Jety Lefr Pangalactic Porcupine

I like that you logically consolidated a lot of smaller suggestions into a larger one encompassing the asteroid field biome.

I'd suggest rather than absolute 0g, a small degree above zero instead. I'd like to see planets sizes relating to their gravitational attraction and those asteroid fields are as big as planets themselves. Asteroid fields have a lot of missing mass to them, so I think they should have very low gravitational fields, but not exactly none at all.
    Even if it would make more sense to have the g-fields close to 0, or a negligible amount above 0, it'd be very difficult to play in. Really, I just don't think absolute 0 is a good diea, only because it'd be so hard to play in asteroid fields if that were the case.

Other than that, it all makes sense. Some things more than others, but still the rest all makes sense and I like it. Specifically, I love the fire and lighting suggestions.
    It'd be hard and time consuming to make all of this happen, but it'd make sense.

3. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I realize that 0g makes asteroid fields harder, which was one of my main reasons for this. Asteroid fields are much more ore and legendary gun rich than any other area, but aren't much harder than a normal planet, as long as you've got decent energy, some sort of flying tech, a survival system and some camp fires.

S.A.A., Kamuly and RatixFarrence like this.
  4. Jety Lefr

Fair point.

5. Daftboy

Daftboy Space Spelunker

Well an asteroid fiel is made of....asteroid. And asteroid is not really friendly place, so I don't think the fact it will be a really hard place would be something bad. It's not like if every planet was that hard after all.

Also I vote for a craft-able jetpack , working kinda like the one in GTA San Andreas ( for the one who didn't play it: It allow you to move in any direct X Y and Z [ so for this 2D game it'll be X and Z ] with a small gravity value that let you drop down slowly if you don't move up ) so it will help to move on them.

I like the Mech idea too , it's just an addition :)

It could be fun too to see other race moving around with jet pack doing their stuff and maybe sometime meeting some hostile one ! That will give you a reason to use (and train your real skill) pistol if you are a close combat user !

6. Jety Lefr

That's true too. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have a particularly difficult biome considering how diverse any other biome can be.

7. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

Love this idea. Only problem is a jetpack would need to be combined with the survival system, as oxygen is also an issue. The again, maybe the survival system could be made into a 3-piece armor that is craftable at 2 or 3 of the higher tiers, sacrificing defense and stats for access to asteroids.

Daftboy likes this.
  8. Daftboy

Daftboy Space Spelunker

I'm agree, it could be an entire stuff instead of just one back-tool. And to avoid loosing deffense that could be a stuff similar to the winter clothes , wearing it on the stuff ( the little 3 square at the right of the 3 deffense slot )

9. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

If anyone's played with Madtulip's Ship Mod, I think the near-zero-G should work similar to that, only with no slowdowns on movement. If you want to move in a different direction, you'd need a movement tech or to bounce yourself off of another asteroid.

Asteroid Field Biomes should also be equally as cold as the Exosphere Asteroids above a planet. Due to the abundance of ore and weapon drops in Asteroid Fields doing anything in them should be extremely tough, so as to provide challenge for a lot of rewards.

10. Stalkish Cockatiel

Stalkish Cockatiel Existential Complex

It would be a good use for the grapple hooks. Maybe you could create an anchor that pulls a line with you. Or you could make a gravity gun that shoots ultra dense matter that will create a gravity strong enough to pull you to it for maybe 5 seconds?

11. BunniEars

BunniEars Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Right now the navigation of asteroids is exactly the same as the navigation of planets, and it really shouldn't be. I feel like in a real 0g environment, players shouldn't be limited to only standing on what the game considers to be downward. Maybe players could rotate their players so that they could "walk on ceilings" or walls or whatnot. Maybe instead of the players' characters themselves rotating, the background/blocks should rotate, and leave the player standing feet down.
    Although for the most part the players WOULD be floating (since 0g is 0g).

12. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

Perfect idea!

13. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

That's a great idea, love the thought of the mot working stuff like torches. It'd be a clear hazard and unlock the asteroids in the later game progress.

14. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

I agree wholeheartedly with this idea. I think absolute Zero Gee would be ideal for asteroids. These are tiny rocks as far as gravity would be concerned, and unless you're far outside the field they are in every direction, so there really would not be much of a "down" anywhere in this kind of an environment. It would be nice if the game engine could handle a tumbling reference frame, and have the whole world spinning around you, but let's not go too crazy overboard.

A good movement Tech or vehicle for this would be an EVA suit. Small jump jets would basically give you the ability to fly, but only in a Zero Gee environment. This would also be useful for puttering around outside one's ship, but for now those walls are completely unbreakable and there isn't even an airlock.

Speaking of air, I also love the idea of air purifiers and generators for the asteroids. The game already has the ability to have invisible air as a fluid, but unfortunately the game doesn't realize it's supposed to have no viscosity and thus you can swim around in it. This is obviously not ideal, but if the game could be modified by the devs to have a new fluid type, Breathable Air, a fluid that grants the ability to breathe but doesn't grant the ability to swim through it, this would be perfect. The fluid would have to be destroyed by creatures existing in it as it gives them that ability to breathe, and either replaced by a poisonous air (CO2) or by nothing at all. This would require you to be smart about where you place these air generators, and would let you make airlocks and habitats. If using the O2/CO2 dual fluids, one could then have both Scrubbers to remove the poisonous CO2 and also modify the plants to require this poisonous CO2 and to emit O2 in return. Asteroid Farms would become more of a good idea, instead of just a cool screenshot to take. Planets would be assumed to have both O2 and CO2 enough to support both animal and plant life without having to compute it (although if using building materials of an advanced enough nature, like a glass house with no breaks, CO2 might build up unless plants were introduced or there was a proper ventilation system like a chimney or one of the aforementioned scrubbers)

And, of course, fire should never burn in space without an oxygen source. That should go without saying. This is a big immersion breaker.

Centonux likes this.
  15. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

That would be really awesome!

Also another idea, similar to the silverfish in Minecraft, occasionally when you mine an asteroid block a mini tentacle spore monster comes out of it and attacks you. Very rarely when interacted with an entire asteroid will turn into a tentacomet.

16. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Zero G in asteroid fields would definitly be fun. Gun propulsion, here I come!

17. Kamuly

Kamuly Void-Bound Voyager

yeah, instantly thinked on the space walk in ISS. i think that could be fun, that this "jetpack" really uses some kind of fuel like liquid erchius, it will remind you that you have to refuel it, and if you are out of fuel, or dont have a jetpack, i thinked about a combination of boots with spikes that keeps you on the asteroid, down the asteroid, presuming there is no gravitiy. and the grappling gun, so you can travel from asteroid to asteroid, but cant fly between them. also wanna suggest that if you make some explosions with grenades or some explosive stuff, you can actually move an asteroid an make it crash with another. Think that will be fun, even funnier in multiplayer PvP servers

S.A.A. likes this.
  18. Joseph the wanderer

Joseph the wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

you realize this is a dead post? as in, nobody looking at it anymore. look at the date of the last post before yours. its over a YEAR old.

19. TrevorH7441

TrevorH7441 Big Damn Hero

Well, I like the idea, but at the same time, in physics, a planet has a gravitational pull due to its mass. Asteroid fields may be smaller than planets, but it would still have at least a minute gravitational pull. So it wouldn't be 0g exactly, but movement would be drastically hindered without the aid of tech.

20. Ariod400

Ariod400 Title Not Found

Meh, the post may be old, but the suggestions are still valid. I for one would enjoy an environment that varied completely from the regular planets.

Kamuly, Faeryheart and S.A.A. like this.