You wanna know something Annoying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Evris, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Evris

Evris Orbital Explorer

People comparing games just because they have one simiral thing to that one game

Lets say your chatting to some one about starbound
    You: Well its like a 2d sandbox game with alot of monsters and space exploring
    Your Friend: Woah like terraria? Or minecraft
    You: No very different from terraria and/or minecraft
    Your Friend: But its like 2d sandbox
    You: well yea but its different than terraria it has like Generated structures and Different Races
    Your Friend: Well i bet its like a terraria rip off

just dont be like that its super annoying

Omicron445 likes this.
  2. Hossain

Hossain Space Hobo

yeah...it is annoying

3. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

This is why i dont like comparing the two. And dont like it when people do. Theyre completely different.

Its like comparing Halo to Call of Duty. Both set in the future and have guns. Therefore one os ripping off the other pffffff

Arra likes this.
  4. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

Clearly you never had someone comparing Operation Flashpoint to BF3
    Or people who play Starbound and hate on Terraria because "sci fi is cooler and the blocks in terraria are too small".

5. Vilespring

Vilespring Subatomic Cosmonaut

There's a very spooky ancient skill called....
    Like them both.

Not very many people know this ancient skill.
    But yeah, I agree. When people try to compare it, I just say, "It has blocks. And doors, I guess they both have doors. Wait, CoD has doors too! CoD is ripping off Terraria!"

Dragonclaw and Lodish like this.
  6. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

It's mainly the artstyle's fault. Starbound does look like Terraria at first glance and the old non-sci fi start played a lot like Terraria's and Minecraft's starts. This is encouraged by the 'devs that make 2D games are too lazy to make the third dimention' argument.

Vilespring likes this.
  7. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Its pretty bad when they compare SB to Minecraft... like... how?? they are not even working with the same dimensions!!

Oh and dont get me started with those fanboys defending Terraria solely because you said Starbound in the same sentence, gods forbid the day weaponizing fandoms becomes commonplace.

8. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

World of Tanks wants a word with you

MilkCalf likes this.
  9. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I left that game way back in 2011 and never looked back. Seems it was the right thing to do.

MilkCalf likes this.
  10. Vilespring

Vilespring Subatomic Cosmonaut

I play it simply because the amount of money I dumped into it.

It's fun, for sure, but the community is 100% cancer.

11. Evris

Evris Orbital Explorer

thing is i have played all of: Minecraft, Terraria, World of Tanks, StarBound,

12. Kiweird

Kiweird Void-Bound Voyager

Starbound, Minecraft, and Terraria have the same core concept, but the way they handle it is wildly different. I wish people could understand how different these games really are.

Terraria is largely a game that revolves around combat and defense. Defend from Corruption. Defend from bosses. Defend from invasions. Defend your NPC's, your friends, yourself. Build to defend, get gear and weapons to defend, etc. It's all about defending and getting stronger. Everything you do is to work towards vanquishing evil from your world. It's one of the most polished and rewarding games I have ever played.

Minecraft... first of all kind of started this whole "block-based sandbox survival" thing, or at least made it extremely popular. I'd like to say that Minecraft is mostly a framework upon which modders can build. And its primary focus is building. There's combat and survival, sure, but its largest strength is its creativity and its flexibility with mods. They even gave us the ability to write code within the game to create minigames and adventure maps. It's an accessible framework where people can create fun things and share them. Minecraft is so community based, and that's where its strength lies.

Starbound is in its baby stages as a game. I'm saying this not to be mean, but to actually be lenient towards it. It's just now finding its footing. That said, Starbound is largely about exploration. You even have an encyclopedia that logs your collections - caught bugs, cooked food, etc. Its biggest strengths are exploration and atmosphere. It's a lot more casual than the other games, I think. Not as difficult. The entire basis of this game is exploring, collecting, and colonizing. Out of the three, it pays the least attention to things like hostile invasions or perilous environments. It's the calmest of the three.

It really is annoying when people can't see the difference between the three. Just because they have blocks and a crafting system doesn't mean they're all the same. I wish people weren't so quick to judge. The "2D Minecraft" label is really really annoying.

AlbertoRota likes this.
  13. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

Starbound was developed by a former Re-Logic employee. Just throwing that out there.

HunterC1998 likes this.
  14. Roland Weiss

Roland Weiss Tiy's Beard

What comes to mind is that for a few years after Doom was released all first-person shooters were called Doom clones.

15. Kiweird

History repeats! Makes me wonder if we'll ever be free of this :nuruconfused:

16. ComatosePhoenix

ComatosePhoenix Phantasmal Quasar

You say that like its a problem when Its really not. After all If you want to describe a game to someone isn't it easier to pick out how its like games they've played previously?
    Starbound is a lot like terraria. The finer points of the mechanics are very different but nobody is going to go into details on how mining and farming play out differently on different games. (although is there farming in terraria? I can't remember) odds are if a person enjoyed one game they will enjoy the other.

17. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

Only for potion ingredients.

18. Megumin

Megumin Guest

MilkCalf likes this.
  19. Kiweird

I always felt like the word "clone" held negative connotations and wasn't fair to the developers, but that might just be me. I'm okay with comparisons. I really am. I just always took "clone" to mean something negative, like the game that's supposedly a "clone" has no original content and is just taking from the "original". I've never seen it used in a positive context. Are you telling me that it can be used in a positive context?

Also yeah, there is farming in Terraria, though I personally haven't done anything with it. It's mostly boiled down to sticking seeds into the ground or in pots. No water necessary. No tilling needed. Just plant 'n wait. It's also strictly potion ingredients, since food isn't really... a thing that's needed beyond getting a Well Fed buff ingame.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  20. FreeYourself

FreeYourself Orbital Explorer

super annoying

Firebird Zoom likes this.