Modding Help Would renaming Gunther be possible?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by brip1296, Apr 5, 2017.

1. brip1296

brip1296 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey all! Just as the title says, I would like to know if renaming Gunther is possible! Basically, my friends and I have this inside joke that Gunther reminds us of another friend of ours, so I changed his sprites and portraits to look like that friend, but I want to go a step further and change his name to our friend's, too.

All I know about making mods for SDV is editing sprites and portraits, but before I came here for this question I did look at other people's mods for reference to try and find files and what I need to do on my own (such as mods that make the bachelorettes into guys). Gunther's not really like most other NPCs though, so I got a little lost and would like to ask for help!

If anyone could point me to the files I would need to edit or even just tell me whether or not this is possible with him specifically, it would be very helpful and greatly appreciated! Thank you!

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

I haven't tested it, but I'd think the name was hardcoded into the game. However, I don't know that for a fact. You can try to change his name in the Archaelogy House event file; that's the only place he'll ever talk. To change an NPC's name, you'd probably need to change their name in every line of text. However, since Gunther is such a minor character, that won't be much of an issue.

So...try this
      Go to this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwyXuxAqGS7ueVdFX2dQSUVzcUk
      Open the events folder, download the ArchaeologyHouse event with Notepad or something like that
      Replace anything that says "Gunther" with whatever you want to name him
      Convert the file to an Xnb file
      Replace the event file in the Content folder with it (but backup the original file just in case)

You might want to back up anything else you want to make sure is kept safe...

I'm sorry if this didn't work. I'm not an excellent modder.

brip1296 likes this.
      • brip1296

I'll give that a try soon! Thank you very much for the suggestion! It makes sense that his name would be hardcoded since it's so hard to figure out, now that you mention it. I'll post back here with the results of changing "Gunther" mentions in that file when I get around to it! :D

• Hammurabi

Hammurabi Big Damn Hero

Doesn't he also have an event at your farm where he talks, when he gives you the rusty key? It might just be a letter in the mail, but I could have sworn he showed up and gave it in person...

Anyways, the game does indeed have hardcoding for his name in v1.11, but I think v1.2 might make it easier to change NPC names; I'm not really sure, since I haven't looked into it much yet, but I'd certainly expect to it have the names moved into the translation files.

Voltaic123 likes this.
          • brip1296

Ooh if it is easier in 1.2, that's great to hear! Thanks for letting me know in any case! That really helps! I've been a bit busy making sprites for another mod I'm working on so I haven't tried anything else with Gunther yet, so I think I'll wait for 1.2 to give that another go and settle for just changing his portrait and sprites for now! Thanks again!

• Hammurabi

Hammurabi Big Damn Hero

Don't get too excited -- like I said, I haven't looked into v1.2, I just know that it has localizations for several languages now, and with some of them typically using different alphabets (e.g., Japanese using Kanji, Chinese using Hanji, and Russian using Cyrillic), it would make sense to move the displayed names into the localization files so that they can be converted to the language-appropriate alphabet.