Modding Discussion Working Portal Gun

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Nightmares, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Nightmares

Nightmares Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Where we at on this?

2. kieve

kieve Intergalactic Tourist

3. Nightmares

Nightmares Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, I was thinking the blink tech was the closest to what the portal gun does. Probably take a bit of work figuring out how to combine the image and action of a gun to the modified tech .lua

4. PotatoMadness

PotatoMadness Aquatic Astronaut

That will be the day my friends, the day when the portal gun is in starbound.

5. Orinji Neko

Orinji Neko Big Damn Hero

Couldn't e try extracting the Portal Gun from Terraria and try converting it to lua? Don't even know if that's possible but there are always equivalents... (like convert it to lua, no? Unless it is already...)

6. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can't straight up "convert it", there's no "magic translator", and yes, there are equivalents, but that's where all the work is. Terraria and Starbound don't have the same code, they don't have the same things we can hook into to do stuff. While they do are similar platformer sandbox games, with similar mechanics, what's running behind the scenes could be totally different. I'm also pretty sure most people familiar with starbound modding aren't really familiar with terraria's inner workings, and don't want to go and learn only for one item.

This is also a pretty old thread (the reply before yours is from 2014(!)) and I don't know what was available for modding at that time

Don't mind the spooky placeholder eyes and umbrella
    [​IMG]

This is far from usable / the final version, more a fun proof of concept whatever (itonlyworksfortheplayerwhoplacesportalsportalsaresimplystuckinairtheyhaveabigcircularrangetheydontkeepmomentumandsometimesitcrashesoutofnowhere) but I'm lazy to go further for now

7. Orinji Neko

Orinji Neko Big Damn Hero

Oh thx
    One thing I know is Terraria code, so I'll see what I can do following up my ideas and your post. Since I know Terraria's inner-workings, I'll try to do something. (P.S: I already started programming a few mods for Starbound, so I thoroughly have a good understanding of what's ther :p)
    Thx for your reply!