1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Won't Launch

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by BluegoldF15H, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluegoldF15H

BluegoldF15H Orbital Explorer

It's as simple as that, when I run the starbound launcher, I click "Launch Starbound" but nothing happens. At all. It just won't launch

2. Best Answer
    Delete your starbound.config file, that should fix the issue.

3. PurpleSquirel43

PurpleSquirel43 Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm having the same problem, and have no idea how to fix it. Sorry. :/

4. zaph34r

zaph34r Poptop Tamer

Just adding my voice to this so the issue doesn't get buried, i have the same problem.

Launcher and game both not doing anything at all for a sizeable amount of people (judging by the dozen threads with this issue), sounds like the sort of problem that should be high priority D:

5. Deepclaw

Deepclaw Star Wrangler

Also adding my voice to this. It seems we're kind of in the minority here? I've seen several of these threads but with few replies, and they get buried quickly, with everyone else's crash issues. The problem here, though, isn't even that it crashes!

I hit Launch Starbound and it doesn't show up under Processes or Applications when I view Task Manager. Nothing happens except the "Launch Starbound" button goes light grey when I hover the pointer over it. Like I didn't click at all. I've also clicked and tried waiting, and even checked to make sure the files are there. The game's installed, but it's like it doesn't exist! The Launcher boots up quickly and the page with info loads, but I get no further from there.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium with an AMD Athlon II Dual Core, 4 GB RAM, and more than enough hard drive space. I managed to play the game for 2 minutes on Wednesday with little issue, but after closing it (I wanted to restart to see if it booted up faster a second time) I haven't been able to open it since. I have restarted, tried several work arounds I've read around the forums, and nada. This morning I left for work while reinstalling the game entirely. I'm hoping it's a bug that the reinstall will fix.

6. Ouzei

Ouzei Space Hobo

Having the same issue here; I was able to play it earlier today for a while, but after closing the game, it just won't launch again.

7. Exon

Exon Subatomic Cosmonaut

8. Darkentyes

Darkentyes Space Hobo

Same, but when i press launch starbound it makes a windows error noise, but no error.

9. Deepclaw

Deepclaw Star Wrangler

I just did a complete reinstall - NADA! Not even an error noise. Just no reaction.

10. Ender333

Ender333 Space Hobo

I played it fine a few days ago but now it won't launch once I click Launch Starbound.

11. thesadow

thesadow Space Spelunker

i played it like a hoer a go now it not launching

12. Empfindsam

Empfindsam Space Hobo

Same issue, since the update last night.

13. darstix

darstix Orbital Explorer

so same problem. went to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\launcher" , right clicked the launcher, properties, compatibility, run as administrator, profit.

14. Empfindsam

Empfindsam Space Hobo

Seems to do it. Thanks!

15. skaterboy369

skaterboy369 Yeah, You!

Go to your starbound folder and go to win32. Go to the starbound application and right click. Then Properties. Go to the Compatibilitytab and make sure that run this program as an administrator is unchecked. It worked for me so hope it helps:D

16. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

I've tried every possible combination of admin mode, no admin mode, compatibility on/off, reinstalls, cache verification, etc....Nothing is working. I used to get a access violation error, but as of a cpu restart now nothing happens at all.

Bumping this because it keeps getting pushed down and I really want to play the game ^.^

17. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

Right, I just tried turning off UAC as some others have suggested. Nada. Still doesn't work. I re installed the DX redistribute that came with the game, and I tried making a new non-administrator account to play the game with. :/

Hopefully they're able to figure this out. My launcher doesn't even show up, the play button on steam does nothing but start the launcher process in the task manager.

Edit: Try renaming launcher.exe to starbound.exe. That got me past the first part. The penguin icon now appears in my bar, but I immediately get a access error.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  18. eks311

eks311 Void-Bound Voyager

This needs to be on the first page. It works, and it took me forever to dig through the forum to find it.

19. Three9

Three9 Tentacle Wrangler

I had this issue, but read the directions already posted in a sticky here, followed them, and it worked

I think it might either be that the directions aren't worded clearly, or it could be another similar, but unknown issue...regardless, I'll post what I did to fix it, which is what the sticky already says to do

Browse to your win32 folder (Yes I realize it's already stated here to do that, keep reading)
    Make sure that the following are set to administrator
    starbound.exe
    starbound_opengl.exe
    starbound_server.exe

continue into the launcher folder
    Make sure that the following is set to administrator
    launcher.exe

I don't believe the instructions in the sticky state to do this to the launcher as well, but this fix did NOT work for me UNTIL I applied to the launcher.exe as well

reply back and let me know if it worked...not that I need to know, but it would be nice to know if I helped someone <3

20. Darlas

Darlas Starship Captain

Doesn't work.

Windows 8 x64

Tried with everything administrator mode.
    Still getting the error.

[​IMG]

http://pastebin.com/cHN8i49T <-- Starbound.log

21. Three9

Three9 Tentacle Wrangler

I believe your access violation error is actually a completely different error

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.