Wipe your feet on the way in...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by WelshPixie, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Buttonmasher50

Buttonmasher50 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've been working on one for a while now. I'm waiting to write the third (chapter? Episode? Segment?) part AFTER the patch, so I don't rely too much on my previous worlds.

2. MikeSavage562

MikeSavage562 Void-Bound Voyager

this sounds interesting.
    creating a story about starbound. Gotta get that inspiration though

3. Zaisher

Zaisher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

gee where have I heard THAT before?

4. MikeSavage562

5. MikeSavage562

actualy ive been typing up a story for the past 3 days but the file wont upload

6. Copy-pasting the story in is what people usually do here.

7. MikeSavage562

thanks for the info

8. Your welcome. If you have any more problems feel free to post on my profile or something.

9. MikeSavage562

right now I'm on my phone so I can't copy and paste

10. StarScorcher

StarScorcher Void-Bound Voyager

So this is for writing? Like fictional starbound stories? Sorry bout my stupidity but I am easily confused o_O

nababoo likes this.
  11. This subforum is for Starbound-related literature -- both discussion threads and stories/series/comics/whatever.

12. StarScorcher

StarScorcher Void-Bound Voyager

Like stories?
    Ok, are we allowed to do species ideas too? For example, if I had an idea for a race I could write it out here in a codex/literary form? I don't know how to create racial mods.

13. Zaisher

Zaisher Scruffy Nerf-Herder

go to the NPC/ creature forum for races ask a modder to help you

14. You can post the codices in literary form here (i.e. a nontraditional story) but if you want to post a proper suggestion the Suggestion subforum will have a more receptive audience for those purposes.

15. daws167

daws167 Orbital Explorer

Reading these stories has made me want to make my own...

Spatial_Pioneer and nababoo like this.
  16. SneakyBox

SneakyBox Pangalactic Porcupine

Awesome

17. Julster

Julster Space Spelunker

Allow me to be one of the first. I wrote this in the 10 minutes it took me to peruse the forum. Enjoy this highly stereotypical story! :U
    A brief warning, the story features those fleshy caves you can find underground. If you're extraordinairly squeamish and don't care for that, feel free to skip past here.
    --
    They're coming. You can't hear them, but They are there. WIth a sound like thunder rumbling through the sky- loud, monotonous, booming- you can feel their approach.
    It might have been a mistake, you think, beaming down to this place. Bandages were the first thing to go. Then your water. Now you're on your last tin of Bolt-O's. In a moment of calm, you crack it open and munch down on the crunchy screws. If you're going to your death, you at least want to be full.
    This planet was different, you knew that as soon as you crunched down on the dusty earth. The air tasted stale and faintly smelled of rot and decay. Scattered around were bones of various shapes and sizes, species and genders- a Ragnok skull, the femur of some type of bird, a grisly parade of detritus from something.
    Shrugging off your doubts, your drill bit into the cracked and parched earth. The bills don't pay themselves, and the valuable ores you mine from uncolonized planets fetch you a good load of pixels to send home.
    But with unexplored planets comes unexpected oddities. The galaxy is a big place, and you know what they say about an infinite universe...
    After a short while, you landed on something squishy. Bending nearly double, you pushed two fingers deep into whatever-this-is. It made a low slurping sound, and suddenly pulled back away, leaving you falling....
    Darkness.
    Then suddenly, an impact, cushioned by a pool that had an unmistakeable tang like iron. It could have been bloo-
    No. Don't think about that. Get out, there's a good job. Sit, rest. Fumble in your pockets. The lights. Blast it to Kluex, where are those lights? There we go. Carefully- pull the pin, don't want to shatter the case. On the wall, and-
    Light.
    You're in a cavern- the extent of which it's impossible to see- the ceiling soars to hundreds of feet tall. Scattered around are more bones in piles. For the first time, you note the atmosphere- humid, damp. And the stuff below you feels raw and fleshy- almost like it's alive. Getting up from the ledge you're now reclining on, you wander in deeper.
    Suddenly, a noise, like something sniffing. Then a howl, long, low and predatory, answered by dozens more- hundreds. And thudding footsteps, running after you at a breakneck pace. You start running.
    It's been nearly a day stuck in these humid caverns, and you're no closer to loosing your pursuers than you were yesterday. You've caught sight of them infrequently- small, ball-shaped white creatures lacking any eyes, only nostrils and teeth.
    And now you've gotten yourself in a corner, stuck between them and a wall.
    At least it'll be quick, you think silently to yourself, as the beasts round around a corner and gallop towards you.
    Suddenly, blinding light from above. Squinting, you look up. There's a figure- an Avian- swinging from a grappling hook. He hurls down two vials which crack against the floor, filling the air with a pungent scent of musk, sewage, and rot. The monsters nearly trip over themselves backing up and running away. In awe, you again gaze up as a length of rope uncoils from his hand and lands next to you.
    "Well? What are you waiting for?" he bellows from his lofty height, dangling like a spider from a string. "Grab the rope and get up here, unless you want to be Phage food!"
    Still in shock, you grab the rope and get slowly reeled up to the sky...
    ---
    To be continued-

nababoo likes this.
  18. Julster

Julster Space Spelunker

It was actually a lot more elaborate as I was writing it up, but chrome crashed and I had to work from a draft ;n;

19. Herein we see rule #1: Never work in browsers. Many millions of words have been lost to the chaotic electronic sea.

Starbug and AyeAye13 like this.
  20. Julster

Julster Space Spelunker

Yeah, thanks for reminding me. Normally I work on a clean white pen and paper notebook, sketching out drawings of what's going on as I write- it's a bit less likely to magically disappear this way

Also, I read your guide about, and I found it very informative. Thanks!

nababoo likes this.