1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED WIP: The Viera of Ivalice 0.3.2

The Viera of Ivalice have fled to the stars

1. Warboss_Spriggs

Warboss_Spriggs Pangalactic Porcupine

I want it!

2. mizukaru

mizukaru Phantasmal Quasar

I just wanted to offer a helping hand for this mod. I have quite a bit of pixel art experience and I like where this mod is going.

My portfolio website is: http://www.ryanleifmartin.com/

if you want to see some of my pixel work. Please let me know if there's anything you could use assistance on that I could potentially be able to help with.

Pardon the outdated portfolio website, it's been several years since I've added to it because of my current employments within the industry.

AmazonValkyrie likes this.
  3. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

AmazonValkyrie updated WIP: The Viera of Ivalice with a new update entry:

Fix for 1.1 Update >_<

Read the rest of this update entry...

4. AmazonValkyrie

Thank you so much for your interest in helping in this project. For a while I've contemplated collaborating with others to complete my plan for the Viera, but I'm still uncertain if I want to do so. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I want to keep consistency in the look of everything for the Viera. Another concern I've had with working with others is that, not only am I not completely used to it, but it's been solely my project, and I worry about compromising my vision. I will definitely give this some thought though, and I'll let you know ^_^ As I said, it is something I'm definitely considering, and may seek assistance with.

5. taorun

taorun Master Chief

Hands down thumbs up best mod ive had the pleasure to play. Always always loved vieras so to see a mod like this is just to die over. As well pointing out the valk mod. Lovingly cant wait to see more. +++++

6. mizukaru

mizukaru Phantasmal Quasar

I completely understand. I'm not generally one to do my own mods for games for I am generally too busy to do so, but every now and then I like to help others out with minor tasks that can be directed as such to keep their personal feel and touch. If you ever did require an extra set of hands, you could always give me a general idea / feel of how you want such objects to be done, then I could pass them along to pass your inspections to meet your quality needs.

I completely understand though in the sense of being the only one whose worked so hard to make something so great. It's quite rewarding knowing that you've accomplished so much by yourself. Anyway, keep up the good work and if you ever feel overwhelmed or need an extra set of hands, I'll be around!

7. Mr.Dude

Mr.Dude Void-Bound Voyager

What I would really like to see is a reduction in file size if that's possible, since for some reason my game starts to slow down the more mods I add, id love to be able to add this mod.

8. AmazonValkyrie

In the future I'll try condensing it into a .pak file to save space ^_^

9. KaleShibata12

KaleShibata12 Phantasmal Quasar

Hence why Chucklefish moved back to .pak files. pretty much all the mods I have when I host are in Pak form for that very reason. thankfully they have a convinient file packer tucked away in the local files for the game. no need to go grab something fancy.

10. AmazonValkyrie

After turning it into a .pak file, I checked the file properties and it's size is still the same at 11.8 MB o_O

11. KaleShibata12

Pak files seem to run easier on the game and my wording is well off the point.

seems that even running with...5 race mods with the intent to add more and multiple buildings on screen having it as a pak file seems to have helped knock off a ton of the lag I'd normally get. in fact if you look: the game's main assets are in .pak form...might be why.

12. AmazonValkyrie

Sorry for my late reply >_< I just figured putting it in .pak form would reduce it's file size via compression, so I had hesitated to upload it as such. Is that not the case? Cause if the file size isn't supposed to change in pak form, I'll just upload it.

Also, can .paks be uploaded to the Steam Workshop?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  13. KaleShibata12

to my knowledge is all you're doing with paks are putting it in a new format that the mod folder knows how to undo to read aspects of it.

For the info. if you already know skip this next block...
    So if you were to say, run the asset unpacker? done right at the start you'd just undo the pak into its folder with associated folders and files. so yes its a form of compression, but the game seems to have an easier time reading it from what I've seen, and the process will be undoable to modify the file, and then turn it into a pak file again. said pak file can be plunked into the mod folder from there and reads the exact same as having the folder with the metadata stuff.

it basicly just saves normal users the hasstle of potentially having to learn a small command string to turn it into a pak. Yes also Steam will accept .paks of mods since its the format all my steam download versions seem to be in that I can tell.

14. AmazonValkyrie

Awesome ^_^ Thanks for that! I always meant to ask somebody about that sooner, as I never knew the beneficial effect of it being in .pak form. I'll make sure and upload the .pak today!

15. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Packing your mod into a .pak downs it to one readable file for Starbound on load which does help file read times in my experience.

If you are still looking for a way to optimize your mod's size, you could try PNGGauntlet. If you have a lot of image assets, this program trims excess file formatting that, in turn, cuts down sizes considerably.
    (I'm pretty sure FU uses an optimizer as well for their images to trim down some size.)

16. AmazonValkyrie

Oooh thank you! I really need to do this, especially since the file size is just getting bigger >_<

Inf_Wolf14 likes this.
  17. AmazonValkyrie

18. AmazonValkyrie

I'm having trouble uploading the new .pak version to Steam without it registering itself as a new mod >_< Hoping to figure this out asap

19. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Steam automatically packs files you upload. You only needed to update the forum version. :p
    When you upload the file structure, it creates the .pak automatically.

20. AmazonValkyrie

Oh thank goodness. Thanks for clearing that up for me ^_^