Modding Discussion [WIP]Starbound Item Creation Program

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by WeaselOfDeath, Dec 9, 2013.

1. SiilentMelody

SiilentMelody Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is gonna be an amazing program. This would be extremely awesome, if you could manage to allow it to create custom sectors, planets, biomes.

2. zer0t3ch

zer0t3ch Void-Bound Voyager

I believe you can make a dropdown box that has presets but that can also be typed in.

If you're building this in C#, I would be interested in helping.

3. Bestpick

Bestpick Big Damn Hero

Amazing! Release date?
    Sectors :
    Seeings how sectors are obviously coded, not randomly generated, if someone can find a sector's code, reverse engineer it, and have patience, there could be a new sector mod.
    But why would someone want to make 9999 planets just for a sector mod?
    Planets :
    Seeings how planets are pre-generated and are global, You would need a new sector for it.
    Biomes :
    This is being done atm actually. It isn't on this creator, but people are making biome mods.

4. SaintPanda

SaintPanda Cosmic Narwhal

Can we get a status report?
    Even my avatar is asking for a status report now.

5. ejh1990

ejh1990 Phantasmal Quasar

I'll say what I say for any promising tool that democratises mod creation by opening up the possibility of content creation to those who aren't as technically minded -- awesome. :)

tools = easier to mod = more people modding = more mods

... And that's absolutely fab.

I'll also ask the same question as I have with a couple of other upcoming tools: what language is this coded in? If it's C#, will mono be supported? In any case, I wish you well with this awesome project. *thumbs up*

6. WeaselOfDeath

WeaselOfDeath Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, I would love to have more help. Send me a message and we can talk about it! I'm writing this in C#.

Thanks man. This is being done in C#, and I'm not exactly sure about anything related to mono.

I haven't really worked on it today since I have had school+work. These next few days I will try to work on it some more. As for a status update, I have just recently got raw code view in for the recipe and for the gun portion. Saving is almost as good as done. When I am done with the guns portion of it I will release a version for people to play with. I have yet to work with the custom model/icon making for the guns since I haven't had the time and I have yet to find the actual code generation files for the guns. Still playing with ideas for this program. If I ever decide to drop this project I will definitely be sure to give everyone links to where you can find the project files and mess with them yourselves.

Note: With Christmas coming up I will be scheduled for more hours at my job which leaves me with less time to work on this.

Just a heads up to everyone who wishes to help me with this (Coding, Information about file systems, General stuff) feel free to message me so that I can get you set up with the project files. If you are willing to help please make sure you have Skype so that we can talk about this.

Thanks everyone!

7. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

this is relevant to my interests considering how much $%?&* trouble i went throught in the past 2 days just to make an itty-bitty gun that isint even working yet.

keep going !

8. Soulweaver

Soulweaver Void-Bound Voyager

I would help, but I've only learn't VB.Net. I know it is easy to learn C# since it is pretty much the same, but I'm too lazy :p

Anyway good luck. Shouldn't be too hard!

9. WeaselOfDeath

Thanks! It is exceptionally easy to learn.

On other news...

I just lost 3 hours of work on the program today due to me smashing my face against the keyboard! Woo!
    [​IMG] '

10. SaintPanda

SaintPanda Cosmic Narwhal

Can we get another status report?
    Or are you guys dead?

11. WeaselOfDeath

Hey, I'm not dead I just haven't been able to work on it lately due to a couple of reasons. The biggest one being that my computer decided to take a holiday (my ram is now gone. Need to wait for the company that makes it to send me out a replacement). With x-mas just around the corner I have been caught up in work as well. This will probably be a 2 week vacation (Nooooo!) until I get my sticks of ram back. Sorry guys! I'm posting from my phone right now so I will try to stay in touch if you want to either pm me or talk on this thread.

Also, of any of you would like to take a crack at the program please feel free to send me a PM and I can set you up! Mind you that I have a bit of work I did before my computer died that was not able to make it to the upload.

12. WeaselOfDeath

Hello everyone! Happy Holidays! I just wanted to pop in and say that I still do not have my computer yet. Since I won't have one for quite some time I believe my best course of action is
    to just simply give everyone here a link to my project so they can mess around with it a bit.

LINK:

This is all being uploaded to GitHub so if you are making changes and they do improve the program please feel free to submit them.
    This is currently being written in C#. So if you know C# and want to mess around, well there you go!
    Note that there are a few things wrong with the current version uploaded that have been fixed but not uploaded due to the computer braking(Also added features such as improved saving structure).
    Also, please note that this program is not completed and currently does not function completely(Or even properly).

If any of you have questions please feel free to PM me.

This does NOT mean that I am quitting this program. I will be picking up where I left off when my computer gets fixed.

ejh1990 likes this.
  13. 0wolfboy0

0wolfboy0 Void-Bound Voyager

If someone picks this up, could you update this thread with where to find it? Would appreciate it, thanks.

14. WeaselOfDeath

I'm not dropping it. I have a laptop from which I can work on it (kinda). Problem is getting said laptop to run Starbound to check if I'm doing everything right. I will mess around with the laptop and see if I can get it all setup for this.

EDIT:
    If anyone does pick this up and need me to post a link in the first post let me know.

15. lordfirefox

lordfirefox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you, I hope your endevour is successful as creating items manually right now is tiresome work.

16. Goddish

Goddish Aquatic Astronaut

This project is now under development again by a different developer, I'm not sure weather going to throw out his code and start again because there is some serious lack of object oriented programming going on. I'll return with a status update soon

0.o........
    [​IMG]

Julyuary likes this.
  17. Julyuary

Julyuary Phantasmal Quasar

That code makes me cri. Good luck!

18. WeaselOfDeath

I never did say I was good at it. :D

I will update my thread with new information on your start of the project.
    When you have a link feel free to post it. I will update my first post with a link to yours.

Julyuary likes this.
  19. zer0t3ch

zer0t3ch Void-Bound Voyager

Once you get your project up and running, my offer of assistance stands for you just as much as it did for WeaselOfDeath, so just lemme know.

20. Goddish

Goddish Aquatic Astronaut

For sure man it's a pretty big project and I want to implement as much of the asset folder as possible for generation. Add me on Steam g0ddish; it's C# using Json.net(james.newtonking.com) for serialization.

Check the thread