1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Tutorial [WIP] How To update your Windows 7 to play StarBound 1.0 (NoobFriendly Guide)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Anarkys, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Anarkys

Anarkys Intergalactic Tourist

Hi all,

I set up a computer with an old Windows 7 on it, Starbound 1.0 works now !!

I'll explain you step by step how to make your Starbound Works like a charm.

STEP 1 : Know your Operationg system !!

Quite easy, just Right click on your "Computer" in the start Menu then "Properties" :

tuto 1.jpg

You should see some information about your computer :

Tuto 2.jpg

If you read Service Pack 1 (Number 1 on the pic) just skip Step 2, note (2) if your operating system is 32 or 64 bits (mine is 64).

STEP 2 : Installing Service Pack 1.

WARNING : If you run an illegal version of windows your computer may become unusable !!!

(See Q&A, bottom of the post...)

One of the most important tool for windows is Windows update. It provides you a lot of patchs, avoiding you tones of problems.

To use windows update simply type "update" in the search menu of your start tab :

Tuto 3.jpg Tuto 4.jpg

As you can see I'm french, but the button are the same in every langage. Just click toward the red arrow. It can be very very long, so go make some coffee or chase pokemon or everything you want the time it updates.

When everything is done, repeat STEP 1.

If you see Service Pack 1 you WON otherwise, we are going to install it manually.

This is the OFFICIAL Windows Link to download the SP1 : https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/download/details.aspx?id=5842&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6

But for some reasons, they decided to make this page terrible, and it's hard to choose the good file to download for a newbie.

Tuto 5.jpg

You only need ONE of the 2 files in the red square. If your operating system is 32 bits then take the X86 Version, if your operationg system is 64 bits take the X64 version.

Install -> Repeat Step 1 -> Try to launch StarBound. If it works Good Job, otherwise go to STEP 3.

STEP 3 : Microsoft Visual C++ 2015

Easy part, Starbound's dev gave us the installer in the StarBound folder, to go their, open steam, right click "Starbound" then choose "Properties".

Tuto 6.jpg

Then you can see this screen go on the "Local Folder" tab then click on "Browse Local Folder" :

Tuto 7.jpg

Now reach the vc_redist through this path : /CommonRedist/vc_redist/2015/

Launch the two files : "vc_redistx.86.exe" and "vc_redistx.64.exe" and choose "Repair". Reboot your computer then try StarBound.

STEP 4 : ERROR TRYING TO REPAIR VISUAL C++ !!!

Now you feel really unlucky and hated. In fact you are just really unlucky, don't worry I got some tips for that too.

This is the official Microsoft link for .NET Framework 4.5 : https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/download/details.aspx?id=30653&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6

This one is pretty easy, only one link, one file, download and install / reboot / repeat Step 3.

((((WORK IN PROGRESS ))))

Q&A

Question :
    I don't have an official Windows retail, what happens if I update via Windows Update ?

Answer : you'll probably have a bad time. SP1 need 3 updates in ordrer to work properly. They are named " KB2454826, KB2534366 and KB2533552". In order to see details about the updates available for your operationg system, go to windows update (Step 1), on the left menu look for something like "change parameters" then choose the options like "Look for updates but let me choose if I want to download them" (don't know exactly how it is in english).
    Then on the first Windows update screen (shown in step 1) you can see the critical updates, click then browse for the 3 updates named above, then install SP1.

I apologise for all my mispells and other fault you'll see in this guide, I hope it helps you playing this great game. You can post your questions below, I'll try to help you (Win 7 support only, no win 8/10 / Mac or linux sorry :s)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016