Pixel [WIP] Chinese Dragon based race

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by legoracer, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[Update: 09-02-2014]
    I'm starting to think this project is due for a redesign. No progress has been made since the last update and the non-standard limbs would probably be too big a job for me to tackle anyway, so I'm putting this on the back burner for now. (Plus, I'm working on a new race mod project involving robots.)

In the meantime, I recommend trying out the excellently sprited Kazdra race mod. :)

[Update: 01-27-14]
    dragon4.jpg

Just a couple minor tweaks. Increased the neck length by one pixel and gave the horns a little more style.

[Update: 01-23-14]
    new3.jpg

I finally decided that I didn't like the more curved body style as it made it look hunched over or slouched. So instead, I worked on changing the tail to be slightly longer and curvier and I think it works better.

And just for fun, here's a re-color. :)
    spyro.jpg

[Original post]
    [New version]
    new2.jpg
    new.jpg
    Alright, looking for some input on this redesign. My sister thought it should look more curved like a Chinese dragon, so this is what I came up with. Better? Go back to the old one? Let me know what you think!

[Older version]
    starbound custom race.jpg

I was inspired by RyuujinZERO's Avali race mod and decided to try making my own race for Starbound. I'm only just getting started with the art assets, but I've already spent quite a bit of time polishing up what you see here. I think I've pretty much finalized the basic look, but I wanted to share this with you guys and get your input.

The reason I went with a Chinese dragon is because of a creature I created in Spore a number of years ago, which was a bit of a combination between a Chinese dragon and a dragonfly:
    spore_creatures_small.jpg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. Kierran

Kierran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The first one looks like charmander :)

EasyGamer likes this.
  3. legoracer

Just updated the original post with a new design and would like to get some feedback on it. Let me know what you guys think!

joedanger likes this.
  4. While this'd probably be a pain in the butt to implement (considering their radically different body shape from the base race sprites), kudos on the spritework. They look great. ^^

5. Silvestre

Silvestre Pangalactic Porcupine

Looking good to me, what are your ideas about their armour?

6. legoracer

All I know for certain is that I like the idea of using something that you wouldn't normally expect. (Like how the Glitch, while being advanced technology themselves, live as if they're in the middle ages.) So it goes without saying that using a Chinese-based culture is not an option for me. (Plus, the Hylotl already have something similar.)

I did a bit of searching on Google for ideas, and I'm wondering if maybe I should go with a traditional South African look for their clothing? It wouldn't be nearly as primitive as the Floran or Avian, but it would still have a bit of a tribal look.

Silvestre likes this.
  7. Queenie Starstrike

Queenie Starstrike Void-Bound Voyager

I like the idea about the south african clothes, would look cool on a dragon!

8. Silvestre

Silvestre Pangalactic Porcupine

But in case of the Glitch, it fits their lore, they are stuck in middle ages, as a failed evolution project, made by the mysterious people who constructed them.

If you come up with a consistent lore, you could dress them with anything. But I like your idea, good luck with it :)

9. legoracer

Yeah, I'm aware of the Glitch's lore. I was just pointing out that robots in the middle ages isn't something you'd normally expect. It's part of what makes their race novel and a bit humorous. ;)

And while I could dress my dragon race with anything I like, yes, I want that something to be different. Something that will set them apart from the other races. (Like how the Glitch are set apart by the fact that they live as though they're in the middle ages, rather than the stereotypical "robots = advanced race/technology".)

Silvestre likes this.
  10. legoracer

[​IMG]
    Just a couple minor tweaks. Increased the neck length by one pixel and gave the horns a little more style, which I must say I'm quite pleased with. :)

joedanger likes this.
  11. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Chinese dragons eh? Well, I'm Chinese, and i fully approve of this idea!

12. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

Why did I never have signatures turned on before?

I am ridiculously fond of dragons and this one looks awesome!

13. Cockatoo

Cockatoo Big Damn Hero

Cute!
    Looks quite nice dude!

14. wmeikle

wmeikle Orbital Explorer

ya but i say it looks more like a charmeleon than a charmander but i see what your saying on that.

15. joedanger

joedanger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

AWSOME I hope you make this into mod because I'm also imagining weapons....dragon weapons.....AKA, EPICNESS

16. legoracer

If you're able to draw out your idea(s) for weapons I'd be interested in seeing them, as I haven't yet thought about what their weapons will look like.

17. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Spear= Chinese glaive
    Axe=?
    Legendary weapon= jade dragon blade that shoots a dragon out when swung.
    Broadsword= regular sword, I guess. Just make it Chinese-looking
    Dagger=?

18. Anhrak

Anhrak Big Damn Hero

These look amazing! :D Of course, because I'm a fan of dragons myself :p

19. TylorPM

TylorPM Master Chief

Hey dude hello cool project keep it up, i wanna to play for Dragon of Dojima you know this i guess.

20. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please mind the date when posting. Necro-posting is only allowed when the topic is still relevant and you stay on-topic. I can't see how a 6 year old topic is still relevant, so I'm locking it.

TylorPM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.