1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kashmir, Jun 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I am very sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

I just read an article that said the windows 10 update can not be stopped (unless you want to lose all support from microsoft). This comes out next month, which makes me wonder about Starbound compatibility. Will Starbound be able to run on windows 10? And if not, then what do we do?

2. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Where did you read this? As much as I don't believe it

Starbound SHOULD run fine anyway.

3. BasicallyNuclear

BasicallyNuclear Big Damn Hero

Did your try yet?

4. Kashmir

I was flitting around. It was either yahoo news or msn, can't remember which. I also believe SB should run fine, but the whole thing bothers me. I don't want windows 10. I love this game and don't want to lose it just because of microsoft.

5. BasicallyNuclear

BasicallyNuclear Big Damn Hero

Same

6. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Microsoft won't just cut off support for Windows 7 THAT easily.

Apart from Windows XP it has been a successful OS.

Lots of people still use Windows 7 so I doubt they will just leave a lot of users in the dark because they're forcing them to switch. It just seems to stupid really.

MrToni300 likes this.
  7. Kashmir

I hope you're right, but Gates is no longer in charge. I can see it coming, no longer the world wide web, now it's the Microsoft International Internet. LOL, In any case, I have faith in the Devs. (just paranoid I guess)

8. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I just did some research, and found that Windows 7 users don't have to worry.

The situation is that those who buy a Windows 10 Home will have updates forced on them. Other operating systems will get no changes to my knowledge, so you Windows 7 users have nothing to worry about.

9. Kashmir

That would be great if I had windows 7. Let's hope it's the same for 8.1. My starbound will be safe!!

10. Charlesguy64

Charlesguy64 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What I'm concerned about is whether or not I'll be able to play starbound at a normal speed now that I've gotten windows 10. I've done everything I can to reduce the CPU usage but now it appears to be the game and not the system.

11. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Well, if you're having problems with starbound, make a thread about it in the "In-Game and Billing Support" subforum. You'll get more help there than General Discussion.

12. Charlesguy64

much obliged. I didn't really know where to go so I just posted it somewhere I felt was relevant.

13. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

They wont just cut support. That would be asinine on their part. They would need to give people several years of advanced notice to coordinate the upgrade because businesses would need time to test and verify all their software works on the new operating system. (That said, we still use XP, 2000, and even DOS...) If they did cut service instantly, then it would never force an ugrade, it just means that OS is no longer supported. No more service packs or security fixes. Its not the end of the world.

Any problems you may have are likely related to driver issues.

MrToni300 likes this.
  14. duicklefish

duicklefish Great Scott!

Your start menu won't even work in Windows 10, so you'd be really lucky to have any games working until a few patches in.

Keep using 7 for as long as you like, by the time they cut support they'll have a decent compatibility mode for Windows 7 stuff if they're not already working. If all else fails, you can always switch to Linux.

You should probably switch to some flavor of Linux anyway.

15. lazarus78

Windows 10 works just fine, start menu and all.

I would only ever consider Linux if I could get all the comparability and usability of Windows. And if I ever have to compile anything, then that is an instant no-go. Linux fails to match Windows on its ease of use and wide support for almost anything.

And just so no one calls me a Linux hater or anything. I use Linux at work as an OS of choice for one of my projects. It works well for what I need there.

16. duicklefish

duicklefish Great Scott!

You're one of the lucky ones then. My friends who have installed Windows 10 have had trouble with the start menu and antivirus software.

Your average home desktop distro is pretty high on usability, some much more usable than Windows in certain respects. If you want the most user friendly experience you're talking about Apple products, not Windows. But yeah, you don't get a lot of first party support for Linux, though in most cases there's a perfectly legitimate 3rd party option.

Not really sure what you're compiling that takes Linux off the table... but if you say so.

17. rawkinrex

rawkinrex Phantasmal Quasar

Windows 10 runs Starbound with no issue. The Start menu is close to Windows 7 in style, it keeps frequently used items on left and on the right it has Live Tile stuff (Win 8 Metro). You can pin items to the start menu, by right clicking from all apps. I have been using Windows 10 for the last 5 months, and all my games work as well as drivers. I would suggest you look into the latest Drivers from Nvidia or AMD for video.

18. Charlesguy64

Actually I'm gonna have to shoot that one down. Toshiba only uses Nvidia and during a short (and admittedly very childish on my part) flame war I found that Windows 10 does not like Nvidia for whatever reason. Never had any experience with AMD though. Try that.

19. lazarus78

And ill shoot this one down.

I am currently running Windows 10 with a GTX660Ti with zero problem.
    http://i.imgur.com/H3h25KD.png

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  20. Charlesguy64

I guess It's just the model I'm using. I still don't recommend upgrading to Windows 10 if you're stuck with a laptop,like me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.