Will the game be released by 2016?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by incugus, Nov 28, 2014.

1. incugus

incugus Void-Bound Voyager

Could the devs confirm that?
    Just a long shot, released by 1/1/2016? released by 1/1/2017?

What do you think? Would they compromise such an open date.

2. Starbug

Starbug Guest

I am gonna watch this thread for a dev reply.

Serenity likes this.
  3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

They said they will never make another estimate on a release date again.
    With that said - no one knows when something will be finished.

All release dates by Studios are either from 2 things
    1. Release dates due to Financial Restrictions set by the publisher
    2. They already finished the game - and simply are working on optimizations and post production [ burning content onto physical media - printing boxes - etc ]

Otherwise it is impossible to know from a programming perspective - unless you have a time machine to know when the code will be complete.

Or you are following an instruction manual and you calculate the typing speed of the programmer to the number of remaining lines of code in the instruction manual for making the game.

4. incugus

I think it's a reasonable question, im not asking for a relaese date. Just asking :

If i just forget about starbound, and suddenly on January 1st 2016 open up the game, will it be released and with all the features that were part of the sales pitch of this game?[DOUBLEPOST=1417197219][/DOUBLEPOST]
    So you believe its ok for them not to even target 2 years from now saying :

"Hey by 2016 we will obviously be released" .

I mean, even "By 2017 we will obviously be released is an answer", Just the year, not even the quarter.

5. The | Suit

There is no need too.
    A studio with money with no out standing loans have no time restrictions to release a game.
    That is why Studios like blizzard can spend millions in development and as much time as they want to make a game.
    If the game takes 3 years to make, great. If it takes 6 years no problem.

They only care about its great when it is finally released.
    Diablo 3 + Expansion- even though so many people complained made $800,000,000,000+
    You only make that kind of money by taking your time, not by settings some arbitrary dates.

So my choice? Let CF take as long as it needs. I want SB to be great and am in no rush to see it derailed by impatient individuals. [ Unless they have terminal cancer and going to die within 6 months. I would totally understand if they want to see it done in a hurry ]

Serenity likes this.
  6. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Well one thing I'd like to comment on is how that company funds it's own games and is under no obligation to inform customers anything at all. ChuckleFish are in a much different position, being that they raised all (or most) of their funding through pre-orders.

Maybe they don't have a legal requirement to tell us how they are spending money / prioritizing feautures, but I do think they have a moral responsibility to say.. Hey kids we are going to take this direction with the money you have given us.. What do you think? [Requests feedback from customers]

Chucklefish just seem to get on with it in private and don't really seem that friendly a bunch from the dev / buyer standpoint.

Apart from Omni. He was - mostly - friendly when talking to us on Steam forums, before the schism and them leaving the platform as a one way feedback place.

Them telling us they have added skeletons, musical warblings, paper aeroplanes. What I am saying is that I don't find the dev blogs very interesting. Was hoping that they would enlighten me in the process of making games. What challenges they face, eureka moments when they work an annoying bug out of the system etc.. etc..

Not looking to read what they had for dinner (unless it's UK Chips), but a bit more about the technical stuff would be interesting to read. Omni was good with that, but I haven't seen a blog from him in a long time.

7. incugus

So , asking if it will be done by 2016 is rushing it?, i don't think that's rushing it.

Also, blizzard doesnt do presales with target dates (ie: http://community.playstarbound.com/...sort-of-evaporating.24843/page-11#post-976367 <- see molygos post "The game will be out in 2013, the beta will be out in 2013. Novakids are a post-beta feature, not a post-release feature.") so its completely wrong to compare Blizzard taking long to release (they never state release dates, or schedules, and dont sell before the game has one).

Again, comparing Diablo 3 , a multiplayer online , server side game, that features(d) a market place for real money (a first of its kind in games) and the legal trouble that surely meant to Starbound is imho completely wrong[DOUBLEPOST=1417198864][/DOUBLEPOST]So i guess the thread was silently shut down? It appears very strangely on the forum list with no last post or view/post count.
    And another thread, one asking for stable ETA is also in the same way... bummer. I really don't see how this thread is a bad thread.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  8. The | Suit

Well she did say [ the beta will be out in 2013 ] which it was. It was released December 2013.
    As for presale release date - the date was set before they started taking money.

As I mentioned before a Release date depends on financial restrictions. 2013 would have been an accurate release date based on the remaining funds at the time. The Presale was more than likely originally planned just to compensate the developers for the years of development based on developers personal funds.

Once the funds started flooding in far past their expectations [ enough money to continue development of starbound for 7+ years ]. They of course had the ability to redevelop starbound from the ground up. The 2013 starbound was technically feature complete, from a basic feature perspective. The 2013 release of starbound and current release is so different, it is almost 2 completely different games from core concept perspective. More money directly correlates to development time a truth of life.

So if people like you had their way - we would be playing the 2013 version of starbound, just optimized.
    ==
    As for Blizzard, they also make mistakes
    The original starcraft used to look like this

[​IMG]

It was completely over hauled from the ground up, because another developer lied about their game.

http://kotaku.com/5942128/starcraft-was-once-a-busted-pile-of-crap

Serenity likes this.
  9. Lintton

Lintton Guest

You're not asking for a release date. You're only asking for a release date.

And that's totally und--wait a minute!!

They(and by extension, we) haven't been given any more info on a release date. Likely due to all the features they wanted are not in yet. The closest I've heard being the list of things in their chucklefish blog. But again, no dates.

That Facebook post couldn't have been an anomaly, though?

10. The | Suit

They really don't need too, simply because it will just cause more of a mess.
    Too many cooks ruin the pot. Imagine 30% say they want the game now, 40% say they want potatos and 30% say they want ponies.

Now all of a sudden you have the most random, horrific game in history.
    You give a money to a company in confidence they know what they are doing. Keep in mind you are not hiring them - in which you could set up a guideline and contract.

But you are purchasing their product. Which puts them in the drivers seat instead.

Serenity and yclatious like this.
  11. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Whilst I dont detect any bad intention from you, at all, this thread does not possess any real discussion value, to be true and honest.

Starting with release date estimates and such wont achieve anything, and for as much as a estimate would indeed be something mildly nice to have, it on itself could hamper the next updates quality( like its stability), content quantity and quantity and generaly, it woudnt help at all to have just a estimate of time for playerbase convinience when all of these factors can indeed be afected.

Like others have said, many times, release dates are tied with fundig or corporate orders, Chucklefish, being imune to either of those, has no limits, and can trully do whatever it wishes to, and it has.

Reworked various systems, rebalanced various stages, progression, ships, missions, Hub Worlds, new race, tons.

You dont seem to have lost faith or anything in either the game or the company OP, but tim estimates?
    They did both to various people, as of curently, it would be quite harmfull to even try and make one.

In short, let em do it how they wish to, that nice convinience aint worth the cost.

Serenity likes this.
  12. incugus

So in your opinion they shouldn't even confirm that by 2017 we will be playing the release version. Ok got it. If that's what this community feels like.

13. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Not quite.

While they have the ability to develop as long as possible, and with freedom of choice, limits do exist, and patience wears thin aswell, we are indeed a community, and the game needs us.

If they were to release a single update in about 2017, even I and many others with great patience would say sod off, limits for everything, and for everyone, and by then, verry few would indeed be pleased.

Release dates were given in times that were quite difrent from ours, and as such, were incorect.There are many variables in game development, you never do know when something is gonna hapen and delay the game, like for example, the Londom moving.

Essentialy, good judgement in time, they are alowed to take time and not do a release date, as long as they dont push it.

Atleast thats I what I think, though I d believe others share my view.

14. The | Suit

Here is a question how does one calculate that?
    What formula would you use?

Say Programmer A B C on average can type 110 words per minute.
    Artist B and C can draw 20 pixels per hour.
    Sound Engineer can make a sound every 2 days, and a song every month.
    The writer can write 20 lines per hour.
    They work 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

How many lines of code does starbound need?
    How many total pixels will final starbound use?
    How many sounds does starbound need?
    How much words does starbond use?

Ok calculate how long it takes to make starbound from those details.
    Or would you use some other formula? or some other variables?

==
    You want a release date, so tell me how do you calculate that release date?

Unless you can answer this question - than you have to admit the impossibility of the question in the first place.

15. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

What if they did say yep 2016 definitely will be out then? and then.. every member of the team suddenly quit except for Tiy and he had to go get a completely new bunch of developers to finnish the game and it would take that new team even longer to finnish the game? And this is not even the worst case scenario.

16. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

Barring worst case scenarios, I think it will be 1.0 in 2015 - before the new Star Wars.

17. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Only the dead have seen the end of war release of Starbound. (George Santayana)

incugus likes this.