1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Will it be possible to play starbound offline

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ol joe, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ol joe

Ol joe Orbital Explorer

Ok i thought it standed for multiplayer only and i wasnt sure what the second M was for

2. Inco

Inco Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Multiplayer games were perfectly manageable with less than 56k modems, I'm sure you'd be fine.

Anyway, I wasn't looking for an argument. :speechless:

3. Ol joe

Ol joe Orbital Explorer

Sorry i didnt mean to be rude

Inco likes this.
  4. Moe Sizzlik

Moe Sizzlik Void-Bound Voyager

Many smartass answers.but no answer that answers the question. Is the game playable offline? I bought it on steam..so i need to login to steam first. Can i play it offline without login to steam? Im goin to hospital next days..no internet there. So is there a way to play it? Since i cant log in to steam then. Or do do i have to crack it for the time to play offline?

5. shakey2

shakey2 Cosmic Narwhal

Wtf are you talking about, most the answers are correct. The first reply is a straightforward yes. =_=

Yes you can play it offline without logging into steam but you need to have logged in to steam client on that computer at least once. Then you just tell steam to play in offline mode. But steam being online won't have any effect on your gameplay experience unless you let it download updates while you play games.

edit: I just realized you necroed this thread, bad *pulls out rolled up newspaper*

Aeon and Volcanus like this.
  6. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

This is a very old thread, from before the beta was released.

It is planned that the game will have a non-steam version, however this is planned to happen after beta. So this is a ways off, but it is in the works.

7. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Despite this being an old thread, the question was answered. Actually after you have at least logged into steam once with the game, you don't even need to boot up steam. Of course you would have to go to the starbound directory and boot it up from one of the exe files; There are 3. One for the launcher, 1 for direct X, and 1 for opengl. Of course I am referring to windows versions, as that is all I know about actually working this way.

But you can play through the exe files, and of course you could make a shortcut to desktop leading to them if you wanted.

I hope that helps at least a windows user. Don't have any experience with the other two...

8. shakey2

shakey2 Cosmic Narwhal

weird, when I boot up a steam game it always starts steam first...

9. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well the default shortcut links to steam first, which is the reason it does that. in the properties of the shortcut it will read steam app then a number...

The reason why this game works, unlike the rest of the games it due to fact it is not hardcoded to be DRM or similar. It works as stand alone, and from what I here, that is how the creators wanted it in the first place; to be not steam reliant, but use it for distribution.

However I do admit though booting up this way means you probably wouldn't get the updates... That you would have to log into steam for...

Most of the reasoning behind why it works is pretty much a guess. I just know it does for some reason.

10. Moe Sizzlik

Thanks for the not so nice answers. I asked if the game can be played offline since i got no internet at all in hospital..and offline in my book is to have no internet connection at all..so..no steam login first. Im sorry that i warmed up the thread again..but its still better then to ask the same question again in a new thread. "shakey2" ..."yes" is not an answer..and logging in to steam first is not offline. I now used my loved softICE decompiler and cracked it for myself to avoid steam login. (yes..backup is made for when im out of hospital and no..its not illegal as long as i dont publish my crack..you can draw in a book as much as you want as long as you keep it to youself)
    I just asked/hoped there is a way to start it completly offline..it sucks to pay for a game that can be played offline but still needs at least one online login.

(Edit..found now a sollution with the steam offline mode...better and nicer answer then "Yes"..will still use my crack..so i will be rude and give you all the finger. Thanks for nothing "community")

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  11. TheSilverKnight

TheSilverKnight Phantasmal Quasar

Yes, the main play mode is single player. The launcher only needs internet connection to check for updates. In fact the devs even said there may be a DRM free version of the game. Also Tiy said in an IRC chat to a person that since there wasn't going to be a demo he was fine with someone pirating the game to try it and buying it if they liked it.

So again yes.

12. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

You started off by calling a bunch of irrelevant and out-of-date posts smartasses. AKA you started off being rude. All I have to say is good luck to the rest of your adventures on the forum.

Aeon likes this.
  13. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Existential Complex

Hi. Steam has an offline-mode. You can play Starbound without connecting to the internet. Thanks for the finger. The name is Moe Szyslak by the way.

14. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

[​IMG]

I almost wanted to fry.jpg this, but damn, this much dumb concentrated into one post can't be fake.

Look, you got your answer, if you don't like it, too bad. Keep your pants on and wait for the full release, maybe if you did some damn research you'd at least know that a DRM-free version wasn't planned until after beta, due to the constant updates requiring a platform like Steam.

Edit: Also, dammit. I'm not a Big Damn Hero anymore.
    I liked that title. :(

Serenity and Aeon like this.
  15. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I never said you needed steam to play, just the initial download, which I assume you could transfer. am I wrong?

Never tried putting it in a different directory, and booting up the exe file there. But would think it would work, since it doesn't boot up steam if done by either the starbound.exe or starbound_opengl.exe... Well on windows. Don't know for the other operating systems, but at least know works on windows. *confusion*

16. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

Well Steam is available offline, you just need to have been Logged in, then you can go offline and still play, and 98% of Steam games allow your to play while offline, the 2% is Multiplayer only games, and game Devs who are Dicks.

17. Moe Sizzlik

18. Sadron

Sadron Ketchup Robot

....Did you even LOAD the game?

19. Aeon

Aeon Phantasmal Quasar

original.gif

Serenity likes this.
  20. peggles727

peggles727 Void-Bound Voyager

You can login on Steam in offline mode, you don't need to be online to use Steam. As long as the game data and the saves for it are on your hard drive you should be able to play it just fine. Steam is mainly a way to buy and play games. Like you would off of any other site like EA games, GOG, um, any other ones that offer direct download games. PC gaming is going more to direct download than physical copy, that's all it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.