1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is this game rated T?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by XMeteor, Aug 17, 2016.

1. XMeteor

XMeteor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I couldn't figure out if fantasy violence is something to get it a T rating or not, but what I'm confused about is the alcohol part. I have never seen an alcoholic beverage in this game except in the StarBooze mod.

2. Shadencile

Shadencile Phantasmal Quasar

sometimes, when your exploring hylotl underwater cities, you come across a nightclub, and there are 'bars' there with lots of 'visually similar alcoholic-esque beverages'.
    The penguins work in a shady 'bar'.
    Some of the references are directed more towards a mature audience I find.
    Tentacles.

Noobgalaxies likes this.
  3. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

well there was alcohol in the old koala versions, but it got removed.

tentacles are not dedicated to mature audience, that reference truly only happens in your head.

Axl4325 and Gotcha! like this.
  4. Shadencile

Have you read some of the names of some of the objects in the game? Have you read the codex's? I think a huge reason why so many items in the game were removed was due to the names.
    It is possible it is as a whole that has the game rated T. There is allot of things to read in it, some stuff is not really great for children, assuming the children took the time to read it.
    The game as a single unit, all text and what not considered. Some stuff just feels like it would need a more mature rating then something like minecraft.

5. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

what areexamples of these things in the books? the old books had way more of this kind the new game is so downrated every saturday mornigns cartoon is "worse" than SB's story now.

even the small gnome with the rainbow gun was altered (as if that was needed) now it has no gun anymore.
    also the description of the small throwing gnomes was altered from soemthign like "you must be really messed up to throw these guys" into "throw them and they will fight for you" Which makes perfect sense that crushing their homes and collecting them makes them surely be willing to fight for me.

Gotcha! likes this.
  6. Xanirus

Xanirus Ketchup Robot

Another possible reason for a T rating? Two words, ":poo: Monster." :nuruconfused:
    That is all.

7. Shadencile

There is a book, about how this avian is going to essentially kill herself because it is what their god wants of them, and it goes through her many days of ceremony before her big leap to the ground to live with their god.
    It is quite intense. This set of books is called (Yolotli's Diary Entry 1 to 4)
    There is another book about this floran who wants to kill an avian, but over time realizes that killing him might not be such a good idea because he finds out that the bird is not just food, but actually has feelings like florans have, and maybe other foods have feelings too. This one is called (Maku's Journal)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Sock of Retribution likes this.
  8. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Most of the semi-mature content got removed prior to the release, but I guess there's still miniscule blood particles, flesh biomes, Moontants, and the occasional Avian player who won't put on some clothes. There's still the Apex and USCM torture beds too but they don't do anything.

I really do miss a lot of the things that were a tad darker though, if it's sticking with a T rating I think all the old lore books and other things are passable. I mean, Terraria got away with it just fine. Sometimes the Crimson in Terraria would scare me worse then a Centaur in Fallout.

9. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

The music didn't help, either.

Probably rated T for nudity. I mean, it's pixelly and there isn't anything really naughty, but still.

10. XMeteor

Why did I get no alerts for any of these replies.

11. Jaxine

Jaxine Pangalactic Porcupine

So I guess the question is: If the Devs took steps to make it more appropriate for an E rating, but still ended up with a T, what happens next? Do we see the s##t monsters, bars and naked Avians get changed? Or do the Devs say "meh" and drop booze and a bunch of T rated stuff back in?

Sock of Retribution likes this.
  12. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Ichor mobs

uaaaahhhhhh

bring the booze back.

I wonder if that change is also the reason for some shirts having changed, I miss that one avian short with was supertight. It got removed/changed. :/

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  13. Jaxine

You might like the dance top then. It's tight fitting on females.
    http://starbounder.org/Dance_Top

14. maestro kitty

maestro kitty Aquatic Astronaut

IIRC, Novakids are known for making moonshine. If "Never Have Tea with a Novakid" is anything to go by, it's pretty darn alcoholic.

15. XMeteor

Ah, okay.

16. Kalteas

Kalteas Poptop Tamer

Weirdly, it's not listed on the ESRB website.

17. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

18. Jaxine

Yeah, I got no clue why they went and changed that top. The Dance Top, along with some others are just as detailed around the boobs.

But, I got playing with code for fun, and made you this: (its a /spawnitem command to use in-game.)
    Code:
    /spawnitem glitchtier1chest 1 '{"shortdescription": "^yellow;Avian Fancy Top ^reset;","description": "The classic Avian Fancy Top. Made for ^yellow;LilyV3^reset;","category": "^yellow;[ Jaxine´s Armory ]^reset;","rarity": "Legendary","directives": "?replace;ffca8a=879797;e0975c=576669;a85636=3a433e;6f2919=141f21;a47844=0000;754c23=0000;472b13=0000;6f2919=0000;3b3b3b=0000;1c1c1c=0000;000000=0000;","level": 6,"effectSources" : [  ],"leveledStatusEffects": [{"levelFunction": "manipulatorArmorLevelPowerMultiplierMultiplier","stat": "powerMultiplier","baseMultiplier": 1.25}, {"levelFunction": "standardArmorLevelProtectionMultiplier","stat": "protection","amount": 0.5}, {"levelFunction": "acceleratorArmorLevelMaxEnergyMultiplier","stat": "maxEnergy","amount": 5}, {"levelFunction": "separatorArmorLevelMaxHealthMultiplier","stat": "maxHealth","amount": 5}]}'

LilyV3 likes this.
  19. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Thx a lot for the shirt, it's great.

20. Jaxine

Np, I had a recolor of the Knave's armor on my character, witch is like tier 1 or 2 Glitch. Noticed it would work the same. Enjoy. Also, I like making little things like that for people. I'm always looking to make new stuff.