1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is everyone deciding a load of things for races?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Swinburn, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swinburn

Swinburn Phantasmal Quasar

Why can races not be purely aesthetic?
    Why do they have to spawn in certain places or have certain abilities?

2. Sol Pruina

Sol Pruina Over 9000!!!

Then the lores behind them is completely useless to the game :\

3. Swinburn

It is completely useless to the game anyway.
    The lore does not affect gameplay anyway and nor should it have to, sure if you want to be a roleplayer that's cool but it should not be a standard.

4. Sol Pruina

Sol Pruina Over 9000!!!

You might be right be about that. Some people just think that the game will be more interesting if each race have a different set of abilites/weapons.

So far we don't know how races will affect the game other than aesthetic purposes.

5. Swinburn

The only thing that will differ from that will be the difficulty needed to put it in to the game. Eventually all the "race weapons" will be thrown out in place of randomly generated and much better weapons, its not like the dev team would add a completely different line of weapons for each race that only that race can use...

And as to the abilities I have addressed that in my other thread in the suggestions sub-forum of NPCs and monsters, An anti-suggestion.

ArtifexQ likes this.
  6. Joxalot

Joxalot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just because you're part of a race doesnt mean your homeworld can't be the same of a human's.
    Lore is lore. It's there to give the game more flavor, more "personality".
    It's up to you to ignore it or consider it as a decisive factor as you play.

Adding different stats to a race is up to the devs.
    Of corse, though, the community is free to post their opinions.

ArtifexQ, xboy777 and Zouleena like this.
  7. Jayne Cobb

Jayne Cobb Big Damn Hero

Why do races have be purely aesthetic?
    Why can't they spawn in certain places or have certain abilities?

People are not saying they have to have/do any of those things. These are discussion and suggestion threads, not demands and requirements threads. Let people post, most likely they won't affect the devs decisions and in the meantime they will feel heard and can make valid points.

Is it so bad to let people have their opinions? Again, the opinion of a few people will not affect the decisions that devs have already made, one way or the other.

8. Swinburn

I agree, the reason I bring this up being that the community has reached some kind of subconscious joint decision that this is what every race will consist of.

9. Swinburn

If you had gone to the thread I mentioned you would see that people have their opinions of the subject.
    I just voice why I think the races should be purely aesthetic.

10. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

Ah... you like the jumpy blasty gameplay-only aspects, mainly. Satisfied with playing a generic character, I suppose, and don't worry about any historical or cultural modifications whatsoever? See, that is something I couldn't do.

For those of us who enjoy getting into our characters there is something wonderful about being able to choose a species with a history, choose a sex, personalize it in any number of awesome ways. My experience is that most players enjoy lore/history on some level, and for me it adds so much more depth to my characters; some of which partially exists before I even create them, and also allows me to further develop the more I play them.

Personally, I can't imagine playing a gal in a game like this that i DIDN'T create some personality for. I don't RP, but it certainly adds to my enjoyment & investment in my characters.

11. Jayne Cobb

Jayne Cobb Big Damn Hero

Yeah sorry, you didn't post a link here and I'm sick so I'm feelin lazy.

Personally I want something to distinguish between races, however I do feel like you that a lot of people are being a bit too extreme. As many people have noted though armor might constrict whether there are any differences. An easy to get vanity item like the set from Terr would change that though.

12. Swinburn

Basically what you are doing is agreeing with me... You can create a backstory, a personality, for your character without having it spawn on a specific planet and without it having certain attributes. All you need is the aesthetics.

And the part where I said the lore was insignificant, it still is, but for you it means something to your character and that is fine.

13. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

It makes the game actually seem like another world instead of a place where people dress up like animals. :p

xboy777 likes this.
  14. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

You misunderstood: you may think I'm agreeing, however I'm not. I like the idea of indigenous races spawning on their own planets. That feels innately logical to me. Give me the attributes, give me specific home worlds, give me some basic lore... and let me add my own wacky flavour to them.

You may think lore is insignificant. I don't. Isn't it nice to be able to share your own point of view AND respect others for thier's?

The Fray likes this.
  15. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have a feeling they are going to be aesthetic aside from a small chance for minor stat increases on certain items. To make a race only able to wear a certain type of armor or use only certain weapons would go against gameplay as it would limit your options, something the devs are tying to give you plenty of when making everything procedurally generated.

Also, no matter what race you pick, the story they put on the home page states that the game starts with you fleeing in an escape pod from your home planet so I believe you wont actually start off on a race-specific planet. So no matter what you always start from there and end up on your main space station/ship.

So either way there's probably not going to be a noticeable difference in gameplay unless each species each has a single special "activate-able" ability, i.e. maybe the Avians can temporarily hover for a second at the peak of their jump, or a minor passive ability, i.e. the "apes" have a 5%-10% damage increase in melee weapons. Maybe their will be a cat species that has the passive ability to see slightly better in the dark.

Either way, I think that it would be pointless to make a species purely aesthetic. If that were the case then they shouldn't have specific species and instead just make it where when creating your character you can switch different features on them to make them their own species.

wulld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.