Who's mean to Linus?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AureusWolf, Jun 19, 2017.

1. AureusWolf

AureusWolf Subatomic Cosmonaut

Linus mentions quite a bit that most people don't treat him well and has even said people have thrown rocks at his tent and that his tent has been destroyed in the past. What I want to know is, who is the sack of horse s*** who's been doing that to poor Linus? Seriously, the guy minds his own business, picks berry bushes and cooks lake fish over his camp fire. He's not bothering anyone so what the hell?!?!?!?! There are only 3 characters I can 100% exclude from who would be the ones harassing Linus.

There will be some small spoilers here if you haven't seen these cutscenes of dialogs.

Gus happily gives food to Linus after seeing him digging around in trash cans, hungry for anything to eat. I doubt Gus would be chucking stones at Linus' home and then give him food the next day, unless Gus is bipolar which I highly doubt.

Emily has a dialog where she wishes people would just accept Linus for being different. Emily I know would never harm another living soul in her entire life, heck I've never even seen her get mad.

Maru has mentioned she has gotten to know Linus a little bit and thinks its kinda amazing a person can survive and be happy just from living out in the wild. At the Luau she says she think's whatever Linus is cooking smells incredible, instead of "I don't care how good that roast smells, I'm not eating what he's touched." so I doubt Maru is the one being mean to Linus.

So that makes me wonder, who is the person(s) being mean to Linus?

I think of the people who are near him the most.

Robin, Sebastian, Demetrius, Abby (when she plays her flute by the lake) and Alex when he goes to the spa.

I doubt Robin would be cruel enough to do that to someone, she doesn't strike me as a violent hateful person.

Demetrius, as much as I hate the way he mistreats Sebastian, treating him like he's not even part of his family, I doubt he'd go so far as to try to harm another human being, especially one he probably doesn't know.

Sebastian, I'm actually not so sure about. He doesn't strike me as a violent person but he does have a ton of pent up rage inside him so its possible he takes out his anger on Linus and his tent without realizing what he's doing, i.e. throwing rocks at Linus' tent to let off steam, not knowing he could harm Linus.

Alex, as big of a cocky douche he is, I'm pretty sure wouldn't go as far as trying to physically harm someone for being different, maybe throw a few insults but no punches.

Abigail is a pretty weird and mysterious person herself. Hell she plays her flute outside during raging thunderstorms with frogs jumping all around her, I bet she idolizes Linus for being so free and happy, able to do whatever he wants with no one holding him back.

So the only likely candidates I can think of would be Alex and Sebastian who are the ones mistreating Linus, most likely unintentionally but still the ones making him feel less welcome.

What about all of you? Who do you think are the people mistreating our main man Linus?

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Has to be one of the kids, imo

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

We know from his behavior around the Wizard that Linus possesses what appears to be a very different personality: forthright, at ease, and friendly. So the whole "Don't hit me" attitude could easily be a front, as is his eating out of trash bins. (Linus makes it clear the longer you know him that he can hunt, gather, and cook.) It's been speculated that he's tied somehow to the juminos, possibly some kind of druid waiting for a new farmer who will repair the Community Center. Right now, it's just speculation, but--just speaking for myself--I think there's enough material to throw any of Linus' frightened-creature-of-the-forest script into some doubt.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
        • Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Has anyone ever suspected ghosts?

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

It's the slimes, clearly.

• Giant Octopodes

Giant Octopodes Industrial Terraformer

Imo its definitely Vincent Abigail or Alex.

Vincent:
              - lacks a father figure initially
              - has no discernable means of venting his frustrations
              - Even after his father is back struggles with his fathers ptsd
              - Is too young to know better

Alex:
              - great at throwing (means)
              - terrible potentially abusive relationship with his father, and the abused often become abusive themselves, especially against those perceived as weak or defenseless (motive)
              - near him often (opportunity)

Abigail:
              - fancies herself an adventurer and wants to venture into the mines.
              - sucks at adventuring and could easily accidentally trip over a tent or hit it with rocks thrown at birds
              - terrible communication skills, definitely would not admit to her mistake and apologize if such an event occurred

Also possible is that it's a joja mart employee. All of them are sketchy. Morris is painted as a villain, Shane starts as a self loathing drunk so why not, and what do we really know about that girl anyway?

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Ghost slimes? I really have to wonder though.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                • Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think that some of Linus' 'noone likes me' attitude is just low self esteem on his behalf. Very few people seem to be bothered by him.

Still, I don't think you'd just imagine rocks thrown at your tent and I can't remember ... didn't someone say something about I wouldn't go in the tent; it's suspicious or something like that? Or was it the Wizard that someone said something like that about?

• GreenWombat

GreenWombat Cosmic Narwhal

Nobody. Despite his claims of being unwelcome nobody actually says anything really against him and he is still able to go to most if not all of the festivals without anyone showing any sign of minding. Mix this with the fact that we know that Linus lives out there by choice and I think that the reality is that.

A. He's paranoid and that paranoia drove him out there and is now causing him to think everyone's against him when they aren't.

B. It's all an act in order to either mask who he really is or to garner sympathy.

Either way I really don't think Linus is the poor abused old hermit that he pretends to be.

• LuthienNightwolf

If anything I think people mostly ignore him, either to give him his space or because they're maybe a little bit afraid. Maybe he interprets this as them directly avoiding him, bringing him to the conclusion that people actually don't like him. I do this exact same thing all the time. I like solitude but there are days where you start to wonder, why doesn't anyone ever call or come over? Are they mad at me? Do they actually dislike me? You start to overthink things (which is VERY easy to do when you have lots of time on your hands and not much else to keep your brain busy with) and it's very easy to make the assumption that you are not well liked. It could be the same for Linus. All it would take was for a few members of the community to reach out to him and he'd start to feel more welcome among them.

You can love solitude and still want a few friends nearby. :nod:

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Introvert.png
                        I've been adopted a few times... :)

sunlite and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                        • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

Can that extrovert be a dog? :)

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

...Which can lead to flopping between "Why doesn't anyone talk to me?" and "Aghhhh stop talking to me!" on the regular.

I feel personally attacked by this relatable content. :rofl:

• LuthienNightwolf

The troubles of being a friendly introvert. lol

• Charity322

Charity322 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Or a cat. Cats count too!

beautifulmonster1318 and sunlite like this.
                                • IceDucks93

IceDucks93 Lucky Number 13

As a player who befriended Linus and Sebastian as my closest friends lol I think Sebastian would keep to himself and if anything Shane might come off more rude but I doubt anyone... probably just George the old man who shooes him away from trash can and maybe .. Lewis - since he seems like he can be mean if you make him or his town look bad. As the mayor it seems like the motivation would be there to 'clean up' his town. I still like my village friends i dont want to believe they threw rocks at him.
                                  And Alex would be mildly rude I think since he's called Sebastian a pale weird kid and he's a teenage football player so id imagine at most he'd be cocky or something.

But what Linus is talking about ususally is that people are passively ashamed of him and probably just ignore him.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
                                    Nefenji likes this.
                                  • Nefenji

Nefenji 2.7182818284590...

People do seem to ignore him. He mentions this at every festival, about how you're quite kind just for speaking to him, and that most ignore him, or that he won't participate in the events because the towns people wouldn't like it. I'd be curious to see who destroyed his tent in the past. Joja? Tourists? Lewis? (we se how he reacted to skate boarding) We know the children don't like him for sure at the start, as one of Linus' heart events has the children throwing rocks at his tent, calling him names, and becoming angry/scared at the sight of Linus. Nobody in town strikes me as the type to attak Linus, other than the kids. Haley seems like she would be far too lazy to actually hike all the way to the mountains just to insult Linus. She barely has the engery to insult the player when they come over to her house, haha.

Linus is protective of himself, though, for sure. Even when nearing 4 hearts, he will tell the player multiple times, "I don't need a friend, y'know. I'm perfectly happy by myself." He's a very solitary person, it seems. Maybe an introvert, like myself. I could certainly see how he'd take abscence for distrust and hate. He may also be like Shane, fearing new people, because of his past experiences. Like me, it takes a lot for someone to get me to open up to them. I don't do well with new people... Especially because of my track record with people. It always ends badly, and it's always them... If everyone I met threw rocks at me, I would expect everyone new I meet to do so, and be very wary when they don't. "What are they upto?" I'd be thinking. Like Linus, I wouldn't be trusting someone until I'm at like 6 out of 8 hearts, and even then, I'd be like Shane. On the day of my wedding, asking if this isn't all some elaborate ruse to hurt me as a joke...

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                                    • LuthienNightwolf

Wait which one is this? I've never seen that one, I'm in my 4th playthrough.

littlecats and sunlite like this.
                                      • Nefenji

Nefenji 2.7182818284590...

I
                                        I believe it was the 6 heart event, but don't quote me on that. I've had Linus maxed for a while, so my memory of which heart event is what is a little blurry. It's the one right after he teaches you how to craft wild bait, where the kids show up, calling him the hairy scary tent man, and Jas asks you not to tell Marnie on her, and that Vincent told her to do it, and they run off thinking he's going to attack if you don't say anything.