1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Which staff primary is the strongest?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Flannel, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Flannel

Flannel Subatomic Cosmonaut

We all know that Ferozium Staff's primary is pretty powerful, but we're not talking about non-generated staves.

I wanted to know which randomly generated staff primary was the strongest. So far, research seems to say that Bouncer, Portal, or Swarm is the strongest, but I can't find any info on which of these three are the most powerful. All I do know is that Rain is abysmally weak.

EDIT: Further research is pointing towards Swarm, but I can't be sure.

Final Edit: Testing results dictates that Portal spells are the strongest primaries.

Even further testing update:
    Lv10 Ice Portal vs Lv10 Ice Swarm

Ice Portal dealt 66 damage per hit (tested on two different enemies in one of the easiest difficulty planets)
    Ice Swarm dealt 33 damage per hit (testing on one enemy that was tested on with the Portal staff in the same planet)

Update on another monster on the same planet:
    Ice Portal dealt 33 damage per hit
    Ice Swarm dealt 32 damage per hit, same monster as above

Ice portal outputs more (maybe about 2.5 times as many?) ice orbs than Swarm does (6), so it is definitely looking towards Portal.

Portal is stronger, it seems. I need to test to see if Portal will hurt friendly NPCs outside of Deadbeats, Shadows, etc.

FINAL UPDATE:
    Portal spells DO NOT (at least not Ice) harm friendly NPCs (Excluding Deadbeats, Shadows, etc)
    This means that Portal Spells are the most powerful primary for staves, as well as with the best duration and technical range. (Since the portal doesn't despawn or move if you walk away from it)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2017
  2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Although portal spells have the best duration, that also means the projectiles take longer to be spawned. When you're exploring, and you don't know when enemies might show up, the swarm spell might be more useful due to it's faster reaction.

But, in terms of damage output, portal has everything else beat. A portal spell is probably best used in a boss fight.

3. Flannel

From what I've seen, the only enemies that gave me an issue with being unable to attack in time are those that can charge at me. Portal spells start up their output very shortly after the portal opens, and the portal can't be force-closed by enemy damage, making it easiest to place the portal near them to take them out.

So ideally, portal spells are universally the best, because even Swarm can't be cast before a charging enemy lunges at you. Of course, this may change a bit on higher-risk planets such as Volcanic, Midnight, or Tundra, but as a whole it seems Portal is the universal choice, especially in clusters.

4. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I haven't used a staff in a long time, so maybe it's changed since the last time I tried one. So yeah, if the portal does attack as fast as the swarm, you're definitely right about it being the best spell.

5. Flannel

Yeah, and at least now there's an actual thread that has an answer to the question. I spent 3 days trying to find the answer online, but only found threads talking about how UP magic is... Like, bruh, I know...

6. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

Have you tried an Orb based staff, I have that type very useful since you can direct and hold it at targets plus go around obstacles that other types can't reach.

As for damage, it would be based on the level of the staff and it's elemental type (Poison and Fire tend to be good types since they cause damage over time), I have a poison orb staff right now, but I'm trying to fine a good fire orb since a lot of mobs have poison immunity but few are fire proof.

7. Flannel

I have tried the orb-based staves. In order of power, it's...

Rain → Orb → Bouncer → Swarm → Portal.

EDIT: Also, you can aim Swarm and Portal identical to Orb/Bouncer, however Portal is easier to aim than Swarm, while Bouncer is easier to aim than Swarm, too.

8. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

Talking about power of "not needing skill to aim" is
    Orb - Rain - Portal - Swarm
    Orb doesn't punish you for hitting a wall, it just bounces off while projectiles from portals and swarms dissapear

9. Flannel

I'd put Rain lower on the list, considering how slow the cloud moves and how pathetic it's DPS is. Rain isn't worth going for unless you're absolutely desperate for magic.

10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Interesting to know that about the portal.

As for non-generated staffs, the Kluex Shooter is best, since you can charge up the sort of attack that, in terms of damage, would require several castings with other primaries, with no need to aim until your enemy is done with their attack and you don't have to dodge. That, and with endgame armor, it does over a thousand damage for a full barrage (27*250/25*4.6=1242).

11. Flannel

Nice. This thread was mostly on generated spells (since even Ferozium staves are pretty near-endgame) because you're way more likely to encounter staves and not know what's better.

12. MrVauxs

Why am I always reading slaves instead of staves first, then correct myself :nuruconfused:

13. Flannel

Probably because most people don't realize "Staves" is the plural of Staff, not "Staffs".

14. MrVauxs

Nice chuckle
    Staff Slaves
    Staves Staff