1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Which parts of the game could use the most improvement?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FakeObama, Aug 30, 2015.

1. FakeObama

FakeObama Orbital Explorer

I think the monsters are really bland because there's not much to them.
    Yeah, sure, they have different attacks and different parts to them but that's pretty much it. They need more life!
    We could ''milk'' certain kinds of monsters and tame them. It would also be awesome if they would drop certain items when killed and behave differently when attacked.
    There could be monsters that are very territorial and some that are affectionate and follow you around helping you along the way.

Another thing - planets.
    How about we give the planet different kinds of atmospheric compositions as well as pressures, etc.
    Let's say on this oceanic world Hyotls could dive deeper than any other race without special equipment and explore a bit more.
    on different kind of planet with Earth-like atmosphere humans and/or apex could walk around while Novakids, Hyotls, etc. would suffocate and/or need special equipment to explore.
    Also, depending on the type of the atmosphere we could see different size creatures and plants, because as you may know, dinosaurs grew so large due to different atmospheric composition in their time.
    Make digging more interesting, because only things I find underground now are some shi*ty( excuse me ) abandoned research houses and thats pretty much it.
    Make things more interesting as you go deeper, have weirder creatures that are afraid of the light or hide immediately as they see anyone. Make RARER things be obtainable the deeper you go.

Mounts - It could be in the same ''category'' as taming. It would be awesome if you could ride an monster like one of shopkeepers' monsters.

Rare items - It would be awesome if we could find super rare items that would be very hard to obtain or you need special kind of events to happen to get them.Yeah, I know there are biome-specific weapons but they feel the same. ALL of the weapons feel the same.The projectiles are different colors and such, yeah, but they don't offer anything else.Make firing a weapon more ''interactive'' like having ammo or needing to press a button or two to reload the weapon.

I'm sorry if this is hard to understand.
    It's been a while since I last played Starbound and I just started it up to notice that nothing much has changed in the fields that I wanted to see change in so I made a post in hopes of devs seeing this and making something out of these suggestions. If I'l think of anything else later on I'll just edit this post.
    Comment on what new you'd like to see or be improved!

Ankali and The | Suit like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

The fanbase.

I'm joking, stop looking at me like that.

Faeryheart, MoonGeek, Idanwin and 7 others like this.
  3. Klemen702

Klemen702 Void-Bound Voyager

Tech, it is not ''that bad'' but i don't feel statisfied with it, i feel like it needs a change and balancing. And i do agree planets and mining do need a change to be made more fun aswell as giving more use for lower tier planets once you are a higher tier. I would also mention veichles (i 100% think i spelt that wrong) and quest to be changed, but that is already planned to be changed.

FakeObama likes this.
  4. daniskarma

daniskarma Scruffy Nerf-Herder

More things to do in each planet. Not just visiting, looting, and exploring them. Something that gives them some flavor. Something that makes "Big ice planet in system A" different to "Big ice planet in system B". Special monsters, thematic quest of the inhabitants. I don't know, something.

Something like the special quest, but in random planets.

Ankali and FakeObama like this.
  5. FakeObama

I agree, they all feel same-y and only things I do when I visit the planet are pretty much running across the surface and MAYBE digging a little bit, that's it.
    There's no reason to dig besides getting ore and moving on.

6. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

I only have two things I wish would change. First, a way to skip the tutorial and go straight to fixing the ship. If most people are anything like me, they make characters for each race, then they delete some, then they find a race mod that looks cool and make a character for that. Once you've made a character 10 times, you know how to play, and don't really want to cheat to get through it.
    Second is obsidian (which is really a glass like substance). Personally, I don't care what it's called, the devs could name it Xeposinan for all I care. The point is, your MM is only on the first or second upgrade and you shouldn't have to get carpal tunnel just to get core fragments.

FakeObama likes this.
  7. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

The highest power digging devices should take no longer than 1 second to dig any material. No excuses. Stop wasting my time.... I have to mod it to work the way it should. Some of us don't have thousands of hours to throw at a game. :/

Zuvaii, R_C_A^ and FakeObama like this.
  8. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

It's been my opinion since pre-launch that this game DESPERATELY needs a town system. Colonization is a step in the right direction I guess, but it's not enough. We need a way to claim territory that requires monetary upkeep to sustain and allows us to invite NPCs and players into a user registry that says

Residents: 30

Johny, timmy, alex, etc

We need more to do other than climb the loot ladder, that's something to do. It would also make running a server easier and more interesting. Players would have a way to prevent grief to their towns/structures and it would give people something to care about. Pixels/currency would be a lot more valuable and people would have more reason to revisit a world. It would also create an interesting PVP mechanic where people could create towns that are allied or warring with other peoples' towns, nations could form.

Chapel likes this.
  9. FakeObama

Another awesome thing would be making the whole world more based on physics - Trees falling like they should, bending a little bit.Also, when you slay animals they should split up into several parts with blood ( kind of like terraria, would make killing stuff more satisfactory ) .

10. I really think the NPC death loot should be expanded and perhaps their corpses should act like temporary lootable containers. That might be the MMO player in me talking.

Chapel and FakeObama like this.
  11. FakeObama

Yeah, I agree.
    Different types of enemies should drop different loot with various rarities.
    Birds could drop wings or something and ocean-based animals could drop swimming equipment, etc.

Chapel likes this.
  12. Peach_papaya

Peach_papaya Hey, You!

The framerate

FakeObama likes this.
  13. FakeObama

Yeah, I'm having problems too because of the past updates.
    It especially happens when I'm near an dungeon or something.

14. Darkath

Darkath Void-Bound Voyager

The problem with tech is that they are instant freebies. You don't really do anything to earn them.

I liked when i had to craft a space suit to go mine on a asteroid at first then utlimately you should be able to craft implants that give you those powers permanently. But just completing quests and/or looting generic tech chips feel quite anticlimatic given how powerful and useful the tech are.

Weren't the techs random loot/blueprints in previous versions ? It meant you actually had to find them in the first place.
    If that was the case i can't think why they think the current iteration is superior ...

FakeObama likes this.
  15. FakeObama

I also hate how ''tiered'' the planets are. It was more awesome when you could survive in a snow planet if you kept yourself warm and such.
    Now it's just all about the tech and no matter how many fireplaces you got you're still going to die.

Ankali likes this.
  16. Darkath

Yeah i still don't understand why they did that.

Instant death unless you reach a specific point in the story is never fun.

When you play a sandbox game. No matter how cool the story is, you want to be able to go anywhere without necessary advancing the plot (even if the plot unlocks more stuff to do in the different parts of the world.

I would try to explore and survive an ocean world without O² upgrade, but you get that completely overpowered tech before you can even reach those worlds. So all i can do is play as if i didn't have it and have fun building air locks and water disposal systems that dump water deep down below, when my sas is full.

I tried doing that on an asteroid field it didn't work because there is no way to get air inside if you build an airtight structure.

17. FakeObama

Yeah, you had to actually FIGHT to survive, but seems like kids had tough time using their brains to survive in a fucking game.
    The worlds feel all the same because once you get the necessary tech it feels just ''normal'', you know.

18. Severite

Severite Subatomic Cosmonaut

I really wish they would semi scrap the tiered nature of the systems, and allow all tiers in all systems, even if they didn't reimplement temperature, and left it with their nanosuit system as is, it would add a healthy dose suspension of disbelief. Even cooler if they chose to add a star system that was handcrafted for each of the sentient races, and had quests and books that could actually get you there.

For instance, have the worlds and game as we have been experiencing so far be outside the 'core systems', which would make sense since each of the starter stories involves the player running in a random direction from something, and ending up with a broken ship.

FakeObama likes this.
  19. Darkath

Yeah i quite don't get either why they can't put higher tier ressources and monsters on a "radioactive" desert/snow/ocean planet for instance. The radioactivity itself has no consequences on the biomes it's just a constant parameter that kill you if you don't have the upgrade. It would be cooler if radioactive snow planet for instance had some more nuclear green colors and radioactive pools but it's not even necessary. Radioactivity has no color anyway.

Or put a few active volcans on any sort of planet, and bam you have a volcanic XXX planet.

Or ammonia/methane/CO2 atmospheres that are non breathable on a temperate planet.

20. Vantus

Vantus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I want to see the return of random generation both in terms of colour pallet on dirt etc, but also on difficulty.
    I want to visit a dangerous Forest planet with purple dirt and yellow grass and where the water is green.

Things in Starbound have become too clinical and linear.
    Forest Planet = Flower Biome.
    Blue Water = Normal.
    Green Water = Poison.
    Armor A = Boss A
    Armor B = Boss B

I'd love to experience that feeling of true exploration - not just in terms of visiting planets, but exploring the differences between each one and how Forest planet X threw me a curveball when it's gentle blue water turned out to be toxic and the strange tree I chopped down actually consisted of metal logs with petals.