Modding Help Where to put certain files for certain mods?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by AmaaDivine, Feb 16, 2017.

1. AmaaDivine

AmaaDivine Starship Captain

Hi there! I just bought the game yesterday and I've been modding it furiously. But I don't know where certain files would go, like YAML files and such. .XNB files are straight forward, but some mods have .DLL files and other things and sometimes they don't explain where to put those files.
    I also cannot use the Mod manager Stardrop/Moddrop, because it gives me an error when I click on it.

• Voltaic123

Voltaic123 Pangalactic Porcupine

YAML files should not go anywhere technically, they are a file that is supposed to be packed inside of XNB's, so if you download a YAML file the author didn't pack it correctly. .DLL files are probably SMAPI mods, you can go here: http://canimod.com/guides/using-mods#installing-smapi to learn how to install and use that.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

There are currently 3 main types of mod:
        • XNB mods, these are identified by the fact that they are a bunch of .xnb files, and *only* .xnb files
          - You can either install these by overwriting the correct file in your Content directory, or by using the `XnbLoader` SMAPI mod
        • SMAPI mods, these are identified by the fact that they have a file called `manifest.json` *and* a `.dll` file
          - These are installed in their own sub-directories under Mods, and require you to have the SMAPI modloader installed
        • Location Mods, these are identified by the fact that they have a `manifest.json` but no `.dll` file
          - These are installed in `Mods/AdvancedLocationLoader/locations/<moddir>` and require the `AdvancedLocationLoader` SMAPI mod

• M0dScientist

M0dScientist Void-Bound Voyager

What error are you getting with ModDrop?

• AmaaDivine

AmaaDivine Starship Captain

I'm getting this error [​IMG] So I can't even install it

• M0dScientist

M0dScientist Void-Bound Voyager

That looks like an error with SMAPI, or a mod that is using SMAPI. Did you install any mods manually or with ModDrop? If you installed the mods manually, try uninstalling the last few before relaunching the game. If you installed them manually I recommend removing them and using a mod manager moving forward.